Recommitted Oliver Florent [Re-signed until 2029]

Florents Future

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Good player but with the amount of academy kids coming through Swans could be happy to take what could be 1st round compo.

Could see him at Melbourne or Richmond.

Seeing as I follow the academy, curious as to who you think is coming through to take his HBF position 🤔

Seeing as I follow the academy, curious as to who you think is coming through to take his HBF position 🤔
If anything it's the opposite, our academy kids are midfielders.
We would like to get Braeden Campbell into the midfield

I hope Florent doesn't get an offer great enough to tempt him elsewhere. He's an important, valuable cog for us. Whatever compensation we got would be unlikely to match the value he offers us, especially in the short term.

One reason that players like Florent have been particularly important for us is because we have relatively fewer players with age/experience between our senior leaders (Parker, Rampe, and now Adams) and our youth brigade (everyone from McCartin down including Blakey, Rowbottom, McInerney, Warner, Gulden, Campbell etc etc). The other 'in-between' players include Heeney, Mills, and Hayward. On the other hand, possibly this issue has diminished with our recent trading in of Grundy and Hamling, nor am I overlooking the likes of Cunningham and Fox.

Another part of Florent's value as he has settled in our defence is that he will be an important of our transition to life after Rampe, Lloyd, Cunningham and Fox. (They are all aged 30+ whereas Florent is still only 25.) That experience, and experience playing together and understanding of our defensive systems, is critical to the success of our defence. The likes of McCartin and Blakey will really benefit from having a steady hand like Florent when those others are gone. (Incidentally, that's also why I see Cooper Vickery as a really important developing youngster for us, and probably why the club is looking at Jaiden Magor in that type of a role too.)

I think Olly is pretty embedded at our club and it won't be a 'go-home' factor that lures him away (unless something unexpected arises). Rather, if he is to be tempted, I think it would either be a substantially better offer or, possibly, if he is offered a role in another team that is more appealing to him at a club with personnel that he would feel comfortable moving to.

I imagine us being happy to offer Florent a 4 year contract. It's hard to imagine another team offering more than 5 years. So surely it will come down to $$. With the ever increasing cap maybe he will get offers in the vicinity of $800k (which seems surprisingly high - I would have thought that $500K was more fitting for a player of his calibre - he's a good 'ordinary' player, not an A-grader). I'd be comfortable if we offered him $2.5-3M to get 4 years of him in his prime. (He has finished top 10 in our B&F the past 4 years running (!) and his best is presumably still in front of him.)

Florent is exactly the kind of player Hawthorn needs, he’d play on the wing for us I reckon and we’re in desperate need for another wingman to go with Amon . Hope we throw the kitchen sink at him. Prefer him over Bailey smith mainly due to off field issues and the distraction his “brand” brings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Florent's run would be a good addition for North. We're probably starting Darcy Tucker rd 1 so there's definitely room for another outside player.

North probably would

Not likely.

No club is offering Florent similarly more money than what he may get elsewhere.

He’s a decent footballer, but he’s a foot soldier and will never be anything more than that.

If they like him they’ll offer an extra year on the contract.

Not likely.

No club is offering Florent similarly more money than what he may get elsewhere.

He’s a decent footballer, but he’s a foot soldier and will never be anything more than that.

If they like him they’ll offer an extra year on the contract.
North have history

700k for Florent is wildly optimistic, no club would be offering anywhere near that.
Disagree..
Florent has a few attributes that are seemingly going under your radar..
Hes very quick and has very good evasive skills.
Hes a very good kick and has very good hand skills
Hes much harder than you might think
And... hes missed only ONE game in the last 6 years

If he wants $700k.. I hope the Swans pay him. Florent and Blakey on the Swans half back line is a dam good combo.
A ver good footy player

Disagree..
Florent has a few attributes that are seemingly going under your radar..
Hes very quick and has very good evasive skills.
Hes a very good kick and has very good hand skills
Hes much harder than you might think
And... hes missed only ONE game in the last 6 years

If he wants $700k.. I hope the Swans pay him. Florent and Blakey on the Swans half back line is a dam good combo.
A ver good footy player

I am not knocking him, he is a solid footballer.

He’s just not worth $700k.

If he gets it he’s either had an unbelievable 2024, or his manager is a genius.

It's a comparison

And a pretty ordinary one at that.

Different players, different clubs, different salary caps.

There is no comparison there to anyone unless they’re baiting. Which you were.

Back