2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what I'm talking about the younger players are so much more developed than ever before. And there are so many more of them as participation rates for girls in footy have skyrocketed off a low base. Hence: invest in youth!

2024 Marsh Dev Champs U16 Girls vs Northern Territory New
H all, the U16 Girls Academy Team will be playing Northern Territory today at 6pm tonight at Blacktown

Streaming link:

TEAM PREVIEW

Sydney Swans and GWS Giants fans have another competition to keep an eye on this weekend, with the NSW Academies taking part in the Coates Talent League Girls competition for the first time in 2024.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PLAYER HIGHLIGHTS | Emma Juneja (Swans Academy)​

Really interesting. Doesn't LOOK terrifically athletic but has great skills, anticipation and hits targets, evasive, doesn't flinch. I imagine in a professional or even semi-professional program she would come on a treat. Hope we see a lot more of her.

Coates Talent League: Round 5 New
Why are the pools of disparate sizes? Why are the Queensland teams playing with the Vics, SA and WA but us with just NT and Tassie? Should we be disappointed? - will our preparation and exposure to other good teams be inferior?
Just saw this question from March not get answered - NSW NT and Tas will form the Allies in that second round of games

Just saw this question from March not get answered - NSW NT and Tas will form the Allies in that second round of games

Thanks for the response. But I think you're confirming what I was noting that we, NT and Tassie are being treated as the weaker teams but QLD are being treated on a par with SA, WA and VIC? It may be a reflection of the reality but, if that's right, I am dismayed to be so far behind QLD. They are a traditional rugby state like NSW and they have a much smaller population. I have the feeling that the QLD boys Academy programs are out-performing ours too.

Thanks for the response. But I think you're confirming what I was noting that we, NT and Tassie are being treated as the weaker teams but QLD are being treated on a par with SA, WA and VIC? It may be a reflection of the reality but, if that's right, I am dismayed to be so far behind QLD. They are a traditional rugby state like NSW and they have a much smaller population. I have the feeling that the QLD boys Academy programs are out-performing ours too.
Two potential aspects to outperforming:
1) who they attract?
2) how well they develop?
If I'm correct didn't some or all of the recent batch from GC board in Vic for their footy? The Ashcroft bros certainly have. Pretty sneaky.

Queensland was a notably strong women's footy state well before the AFLW - that 2017 Brisbane team came in as basically their state side with Starcevich moving over from Qld high performance coaching.

They were the clear 2nd or 3rd state of women's footy already, in Div 1 of the national champs pre AFLW alongside WA and Vic.

That work started in the 1980s, you can read some history here:

South Australia was much weaker until the AFLW development, back in 2013 they lost a Div 2 championships grand final to the ACT.

Indeed when the league was first launched there was talk of just 6 teams - 4 Vic, 1 Qld and 1 WA. Queensland simply isn't a development state in the women's game, it's established.

When the Crows and Giants came in they had to use a lot of creative recruiting and got extra marquee signing slots. The Crows pulled heavily from outside SA footy, including NT access and soccer players. They also got lucky with some military postings. The 2017 Goddard led flag was a hell of an unexpected achievement for them.

Since then, SA being a footy state has hit its potential as a talent base, their registered player numbers finally went past Qld in like 2019 and their junior team started having strong results around then too. The more recent Crows teams have been able to get lots of local talent and the most recent draft was dominated by SA players.

So with Queensland and SA both now strong, we're left pretty much alone among the mainland states not having a strong women's footy player base. It is what it is, we all know how hard and competitive sport is in Sydney. I hope as they move to a national pool the AFL is mindful of the talent disparity and our need for our academy til change it over time.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back