O and M 2011 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

The $100k on 7 players obviously doesn't include the 3 boys from the VFL as they are on $120k between them alone.

Have heard are few figures but 120k is ridiculous :thumbsdown: I would think the 75k figure quoted is about right. Mind you, still a lot for three guys traveling and only signed for one year.

The big upside to this years recruiting is that Wodonga, Rovers, Corowa and Raiders have all added a few to give us some hope :rolleyes: of a more even comp!
Common knowledge around VFL traps Rose was on $40k with Port this year.Would he drive 3 hrs down the highway for less?Would think not-so add an increase to that.Davies is on $2500 a game,and Stretto $2k.You do the maths.Have a mate heavily tied up with Heidleberg and they did all they could to get these 3 as again it was common knowledge they were on the go a fair while ago.If you check my posts i alluded with names quite some time ago.
Not knocking Raiders as personally I think it's fantastic for the comp but as I stated it simply isn't sustainable.

How do clubs be competitive if they don't have a big financial backer these days?
Say a club like the rovers that don't seem to have a major sponsor that puts money in year after year compete with your albury,yarras and the new kid on the block raiders?
What happens to the kids coming thru the ranks at these clubs that keep bringing players in at the top end?
Wang when they won the flags lost good young kids because of the travelers coming in. Will this happen to a side like raiders?

Bring on Flag Number 4 !!!!!!!
No one will get near us again.
Yarra have lost Stevens, Ednie, Archibald, Wollington, McMillan, Keenan, Sean Johns, Andrew Cussen, Jeremy and Zac O'Brien. Raiders - 3 players dont make a side !!!

The $100k on 7 players obviously doesn't include the 3 boys from the VFL as they are on $120k between them alone.They haven't finished yet either as they have another very good player from the SANFL to announce shortly.As previously mentioned Lamberts last year so is all or nothing.
Read with interest in the paper the comparisons with Albury's recruiting blitz of 3 years ago.I beg to differ-Albury netted guys who have played 50 games and will play more than likely 100.Exactly what you are after.Couldn't enviseage these 3 boys in the Raiders colours in 2014 let alone play 100 games.Bit of a warning on the latest signing off the ground as well.
In regards to the Gorman boys-big step from Picola league to O&M,so maybe hose down expectations before you expect them to "tear the competition apart".

im not too sure about that one. They are from berrigan remember, and i can still remember the towering tony way coming from berrigan and taking all before him. I think tonys only fall down was his incompetant manager in damian "larry" ryan !!

If truethis will have a big impact at Yarra, so where are they off to?

I know that some of them are travellers from Melbourne, are the planning on playing down there or are a few heading to the GV as some have speculated previously?

Bring on Flag Number 4 !!!!!!!
No one will get near us again.
Yarra have lost Stevens, Ednie, Archibald, Wollington, McMillan, Keenan, Sean Johns, Andrew Cussen, Jeremy and Zac O'Brien. Raiders - 3 players dont make a side !!!

You've obviously got a mate in the loop at Yarra.. Ednie & McMillan linked with (but haven't committed to) shep united in the GV, Keenan & zac o'brien to Melbourne, Jez possibly interstate, Archie undecided, haven't heard anything in regards to wollington not playing & stevo's always rumored to be leaving but hasnt signed anywhere. I'd say at this stage only 3 on your list definitely won't be there next year, but still a lot of water under the bridge. And don't disregard raiders, it may only be 3 players but they're all absolute jets & will dominate O&M if fit. You're right, though, the tigers are an impressive outfit & will take some beating.. Why no love for lavi..?

Just heard from a very reliable source that steve McKee & Clint Runnalls signed at Barooga last night.

When do Albury decide they have recruited enough? At least they have got an Albury junior this time. Seems like Albury by heaps this year, Raiders second and the rest of the pack well back. Great for the comp, just what we need is more players defecting out bush due to the rediculous lopsided nature of the comp. Might have to follow the hume or tallangatta league this year.

When do Albury decide they have recruited enough? At least they have got an Albury junior this time. Seems like Albury by heaps this year, Raiders second and the rest of the pack well back. Great for the comp, just what we need is more players defecting out bush due to the rediculous lopsided nature of the comp. Might have to follow the hume or tallangatta league this year.

So I take it that albury don't rate any of their thirds coming thru if they have retained most of the list and topped up again with four or five?

Why have a thirds team at all!!!

I don’t really get the whole why are they doing this what about their thirds point of view. Realistically all them guys will not be playing their best footy to after the age of 20-21 or even later so i’m not sure how they would break into the Albury team. Their are a few exceptions of course but not many youngsters can play at a high level for the whole 18 rounds unless they have been through a murray bushrangers program or something like that. So albury recruiting now is the right thing to do their chance to win is now and do something really special so good on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t really get the whole why are they doing this what about their thirds point of view. Realistically all them guys will not be playing their best footy to after the age of 20-21 or even later so i’m not sure how they would break into the Albury team. Their are a few exceptions of course but not many youngsters can play at a high level for the whole 18 rounds unless they have been through a murray bushrangers program or something like that. So albury recruiting now is the right thing to do their chance to win is now and do something really special so good on them.

Good point! Their time is now.

But what happens when kids stop going there as they have a better chance of playing senior football else where. I think Lavi showed that if you put time into kids it can work.

So I take it that albury don't rate any of their thirds coming thru if they have retained most of the list and topped up again with four or five?

Why have a thirds team at all!!!

what about the Albury Thirds there will be better 16-17-18 year old playing senior footy in the country against men. Will guaruntee you these kids playing senior footy would spark more interest in an O and M senior coach then a kid playing thirds footy.

what about the Albury Thirds there will be better 16-17-18 year old playing senior footy in the country against men. Will guaruntee you these kids playing senior footy would spark more interest in an O and M senior coach then a kid playing thirds footy.

Is Tom O'Connor a deadset tool? In the paper today where the Hoppers are complaining about a 3 day turn around in between games (which they are entitled to as it is rediculous, especially considering they play lavi coming off a 7 day break) he says to take note that they have a 10 day break before 2 games in 4 days. How the hell would that help any team? You cant go back in time and recover in those 10 days. Why not have a split round? Its not much better for Albury, Wodonga and Raiders who have a 4 day turn around. Pull your finger out ovens and murrray, you are becoming a joke.

Is Tom O'Connor a deadset tool? In the paper today where the Hoppers are complaining about a 3 day turn around in between games (which they are entitled to as it is rediculous, especially considering they play lavi coming off a 7 day break) he says to take note that they have a 10 day break before 2 games in 4 days. How the hell would that help any team? You cant go back in time and recover in those 10 days. Why not have a split round? Its not much better for Albury, Wodonga and Raiders who have a 4 day turn around. Pull your finger out ovens and murrray, you are becoming a joke.

Well said! Common sense is no longer common these days!!!

When is Albury going to recruit the type of player they really need? A ruckman.
Get one and they are home and hosed.
But doesn't say much for their faith in young Starr-Hossack, Dower or Coleman with the latter two whacking away in the twos for at least two seasons in the hope their day will come.
Starr-Hossack got plenty of chances last year, but come finals time he was punted in favour of Koehler.
The ageless one, Matty Flower, also pinch hitted in there on a regular basis.
Or don't they think they are ready yet?

What round is Anzac day fall on? Basically two days rest that will be an interesting game mind you the ones playing on Sunday aren't that much better off either

But doesn't say much for their faith in young Starr-Hossack, Dower or Coleman with the latter two whacking away in the twos for at least two seasons in the hope their day will come.
Starr-Hossack got plenty of chances last year, but come finals time he was punted in favour of Koehler.
So what your saying is Albury need a ruckman but shouldn't get one?
You have brains the size of a peanut. Make some sense in your next post CB.

Doesn't seem to have affected them too much in the last 3 years.

What message are they being sent is what I am getting at.....
Jamaral O'Sullivan plays on one leg in 2010.
Koehler and Flower play this year.....
Neither of those aforemention three are what you would call topline ruckmen.
Starr-Hossack got his chances, but got flicked when it counted most.
Dower has played a couple of senior games and Coleman none.
When push comes to shove (finals) they don't play.
So if they get a topline ruckman they are unbeatable.
Hope that helps Hitman (go easy on the angry pills please)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back