Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The future of free-to-air sports TV is currently being shaped in Parliament House. As always big business is well ahead of the government who are having to play catch-up. The media moguls will do all they can to wring every dollar possible from the domestic market. In a way you can't blame them. That's what they are in business for and they have far greater resources to find their way through and around the laws and regulations than the government has to oversee them. They will also have lots of lobbyists prowling the corridors of Parliament House and no doubt make "donations" to the major parties. Amazon is just one of several big players in there, as well as the usual suspects like Fox.

Their aim is to move as much high profile sport as possible from the Federal anti-siphoning list onto streaming services behind a paywall. They can do this more easily with big international sports like cricket, soccer or basketball where the federal government has less jurisdiction over broadcast rights. As this article says, it has already happened with big cricket events like ODIs and the ICC World Cups.

They are also putting on the squeeze by making non-paywalled services like SBS On Demand pay a premium to have their tile displayed prominently on Smart TVs. So the TV manufacturers are trying to cash in as well, perhaps in collaboration with the streaming service providers.

The people who will lose out of course are those who can't or won't subscribe to streaming services. The divide between rich and poor lifestyles grows ever wider. Some in parliament are fighting a rearguard action but I think it's inevitable that these FTA sports services will continue to be eroded.

The future of free-to-air sports TV is currently being shaped in Parliament House. As always big business is well ahead of the government who are having to play catch-up. The media moguls will do all they can to wring every dollar possible from the domestic market. In a way you can't blame them. That's what they are in business for and they have far greater resources to find their way through and around the laws and regulations than the government has to oversee them. They will also have lots of lobbyists prowling the corridors of Parliament House and no doubt make "donations" to the major parties. Amazon is just one of several big players in there, as well as the usual suspects like Fox.

Their aim is to move as much high profile sport as possible from the Federal anti-siphoning list onto streaming services behind a paywall. They can do this more easily with big international sports like cricket, soccer or basketball where the federal government has less jurisdiction over broadcast rights. As this article says, it has already happened with big cricket events like ODIs and the ICC World Cups.

They are also putting on the squeeze by making non-paywalled services like SBS On Demand pay a premium to have their tile displayed prominently on Smart TVs. So the TV manufacturers are trying to cash in as well, perhaps in collaboration with the streaming service providers.

The people who will lose out of course are those who can't or won't subscribe to streaming services. The divide between rich and poor lifestyles grows ever wider. Some in parliament are fighting a rearguard action but I think it's inevitable that these FTA sports services will continue to be eroded.

FTA will die, piracy will boom, and then we'll repeat the last 20 years with different tech. The circle of life.

This is a good peek into what happens through the week and over the season at AFL clubs. Also a bit of an insight into how accumulated short breaks between games probably have a bigger impact than just one 5-day break. And there's a bit of discussion of who gets advantage from the 2024 fixture too. (We are somewhere in the middle, Essendon probably the most favoured).

Channel surfing - came across Josh Hill on "Kickin' Back with Gilbert McAdam" (NITV Ch. 34)

Not unexpectedly soccer now has its own problems with CTE and law suits. And I expect that these law suits would be for mega-quids like everything is in the EPL. Some famous names like Nobby Stiles died with CTE-related dementia.

Fortunately I was a goalie in my playing days so I didn't manage to destroy my neurons doing headers. :) (I destroyed them with alcohol instead.)

Not sure how you can change the game of soccer to prevent such brain injuries. Headers are such an integral part of the play. It seems feasible to get rid of the bumps and tackles that traumatise the brain in AFL without changing the very nature of the game. That process is under way now. But can you imagine how soccer would look if you outlawed deliberate contact on the ball with the head? It sounds ridiculous but if there are enough successful law suits that day may be coming. And sooner than we think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back