North Gippsland Football League Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wondering what new player effect Burgs will have at Sale City? From talking footy generally around Sale with some wise old heads, they are very, very pleased with what is about to happen! A huge improvement in on field results is on the cards and off field they are in a good place right now according to locals.

I spoke to a player from sale city yesterday who told me that they have only recruited Brendan Rathnow and Hayden Burgiel and there are a couple of blokes considering leaving. Also, they have lost last years coach Joel Brayshaw, may be another long year for sale city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spoke to a player from sale city yesterday who told me that they have only recruited Brendan Rathnow and Hayden Burgiel and there are a couple of blokes considering leaving. Also, they have lost last years coach Joel Brayshaw, may be another long year for sale city.

City have got Schuback back from Sale in the Gippsland league. His and Burgiel's kicking in todays win over Gormandale was a sight to behold. Good fighting win without their interleague ruck and captain Lutz who has a slight hammy. Ferguson also from Sale will be a handy goal kicking pickup too. Lots of new players today.

Ferguson was very average and will struggle to keep his spot in the seniors. I think there were about 5 new players, obviously Hayden and schuey are outstanding players, but the rest were not even worth mentioning.

City have got Schuback back from Sale in the Gippsland league. His and Burgiel's kicking in todays win over Gormandale was a sight to behold. Good fighting win without their interleague ruck and captain Lutz who has a slight hammy. Ferguson also from Sale will be a handy goal kicking pickup too. Lots of new players today.

Was Schuback's appearance a one off (show me the money) or is it a permanent arrangement?

Went and watched City v Heyfield on the weekend, arrived about halfway through the first quarter and it was pretty even contest to quarter time. Having no involvement this year it was good to go with "cold eyes" and see whether Heyfield will be the real deal again but also whether City with there top end talent could push the Roos. Unfortunately there depth got tested and in the end it was a big win by 85+ to Heyfield.

The aspect that stood out for me was that Sale City really lack a tall forward and whilst all of Nick Grainger, Mitch Bennett and Jacob Milham are good players, as soon as the ball is delivered under pressure high they have no chance. Not having Matt Lutze hurts them (Sale City) massively as he can ruck plus go forward, I thought Tom Bowman, Tim Dimarco and Co did ok on Digger Stubbe and Jesse Bedggood, who at times threatened to run away with it. These two boys with Jesse Jackway really worked well together up forward.

The bigger, mature bodies of Heyfield really stood up well in heavy conditions and I think this was the difference, Kodie Woodland was clearly best on ground kicking five to half time, his field kicking, marking and ability to be strong in a contest was a highlight, I also thought Josh Stubbe was very classy, he has had a big pre season, as he covered the ground really well and made smart decisions. Heyfield had a hard tag on Schuback and limited Hayden's ability to do damage by foot. It was good to hear Hayden talk at 3/4 time he has a specific game plan suited to them, which will take time. I think with Lutze and Rathnow not playing as inclusions they will push a lot of sides because of there top end talent. Young Byron Shingles continues to impress me with his speed and aggression, Barbetti was a solid player again but unfortunately City lost Brad Mckay in the second half to a leg injury who was in there best players IMO.

Heyfield would think they still have plenty of improvement left in them, with Nic Dowse and Adrian Cox automatic selections not playing and a fair few good players playing in the seconds pushing for spots, there depth and evenness will be a key to how they go this year. They looked very disciplined, well aware of how they wanted to play and were rotated well on/off the ground The pick ups of Brett Hudson, who played well as a tight defender and the bigger bodies of Lucas Jenkins in the ruck and Luke Pratt as a deep forward will add to there squad and give them more experience and presence.

All in all an enjoyable day at the footy!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw Heyfield get over Rosedale at Rosedale today but not all that easily. Big Cantwell gave Rosedale a chance with his solid ruck and forward work but he is only good for short bursts. Both teams seem to have smalls and mediums in abundance but could perhaps use a bit more size/height onball, if it were available. Heyfield coach Cox seems to have taken a backseat to their assistant coach, at the end of each 1/4 for some reason. Sale City over Churchill at Gaskin is a great result for new coach Burgiel. City developing beautifully and could be a danger game for many teams intent on finals later in 2014.

Ventured over to Gormandale today to watch their clash with Glengarry. Gormandale worked harder in the 1st 1/2 and had a 26 pt lead at the big break. Glengarry finally listened to their coach and stormed back in the 3rd 1/4 to have their noses in front at 3/4 time. They increased the lead temporarily before Gormy ran all over them in the 2nd part of the final 1/4. They game was a bit so-so and based on today's form I can't see either side doing damage in finals ............if they somehow manage to make it that far. Ground was in good nick and plenty of crowd action around the bar!

Anyone able to shed some light on why the NGFNL doesn't put up an Interleague side? Is it a club, players or admin issue (Or all of)?

I know with the bye it makes it hard fixture wise as two teams have two weeks break, but surely the league could figure out something? Thursday night game with rotating clubs competing (to accommodate players playing inter league etc)...or is that a stupid idea...

On another note if the 104.whatever radio station is going to broadcast games, they need a specific league special comments man also make sure the doyen of Gippsland radio is on there (George Munro) he definitely makes listening easier.

Rumors circulating that young utility from Fish Creek Mitchell Clark looking to cement a spot in the Boisdale backline. Looking for some extra money after the cows started producing sour milk.

Will look very exciting alongside fellow youngster Billy Marshall.

Thoughts on who will be a serious contender in 2015??

If you are an interested NGFNL or MGFNL follower join twitter and have a look at Jis Chrudds twit longer preview and review of respective leagues.

Rumour has it that former Hawthorn players Max Bailey and Tim Clarke plus former St.Kilda/Gold Coast Suns player Andrew Mcqualter will play for Rosedale this weekend against Heyfield!

Don't worry I think a former AFL player will be playing for Heyfield too...pity it will be in the seconds! :D

Rumour has it that former Hawthorn players Max Bailey and Tim Clarke plus former St.Kilda/Gold Coast Suns player Andrew Mcqualter will play for Rosedale this weekend against Heyfield!

Don't worry I think a former AFL player will be playing for Heyfield too...pity it will be in the seconds! :D

They played saturday just gone vs churchill. Mcqualter killed it.

Well done to Rosedale who were clearly the premier side when at full strength and did everything they needed to win a premiership! There side is as talented a side assembled in NGFNL for many a year especially at there top end!

Any coaching news? Birssy retired, Domaille coaching Gormandale, Dave Piasente coaching City, Chandler reappointed at Churchill.

Tyers??
Yarram??
Cowwarr??
Heyfield??
Glengarry??
Woodside??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back