New teams coming over the the NFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Most clubs I know did their best years sponsorship. Look at the main sponsors of clubs, most are building companies or something to do with building which is going crazy.

Correct - two of our major sponsors are Hamilton Marino Builders and Metro Asphalt/Metro Urban Management who have been very busy for a large part of the the past 18 months. That said the reduction of workers to 25% on their larger sites does impact them. We had our best year in many years re sponsorship, but would need to significantly up that IF joining a professional league.

As for the old boys - we don't have many who are not open to doing the right thing by the club. We have been in several different competitions over our long history, all be it the VAFA is the longest. Some of the school clubs may have a different issue with this, but it would not be a current one with our club from what I understand.

Again, only my personal view that you should always look at everything.

Chump.

Correct - two of our major sponsors are Hamilton Marino Builders and Metro Asphalt/Metro Urban Management who have been very busy for a large part of the the past 18 months. That said the reduction of workers to 25% on their larger sites does impact them. We had our best year in many years re sponsorship, but would need to significantly up that IF joining a professional league.

As for the old boys - we don't have many who are not open to doing the right thing by the club. We have been in several different competitions over our long history, all be it the VAFA is the longest. Some of the school clubs may have a different issue with this, but it would not be a current one with our club from what I understand.

Again, only my personal view that you should always look at everything.

Chump.
I would seriously suggest speaking to people from Banyule and The Turtles. I have close contacts at both clubs and both 100% say it’s the absolute best thing either club ever did.

They need to seriously attract some new sides.

Resa is on borrowed time. Lalor trying hard but need to see some wins or who knows.

Any VAFA club will find their feet like Banyule and Turtles have.

Parade are to obessed with their long gone glory days. Need to face facts they’ll be a much better club in the NFNL.

Bulleen Temp are probably on the verge of folding in the VAFA with a super strong junior program could be anything in the NFNL

Ivanhoe same deal as parade.
The committee at Ivanhoe have basically never been a part of glory days and very much have an eye on the future. Just have to make sure the timings right and all plans are in place.

I would seriously suggest speaking to people from Banyule and The Turtles. I have close contacts at both clubs and both 100% say it’s the absolute best thing either club ever did.

Well said!
But at the same time the league and the whole structure has benefited from the inclusions as well.

From all reports the Turtles were down & almost out and now they are a respected D3 club and have continued to improve each season.

Last edited:
Eastern league pushing hard to get to 50 teams. Adding in Oakleigh district and Beaconsfield for next season.

They will be a powerhouse if that occurs. Nearly double the size of our league.

Eastern league pushing hard to get to 50 teams. Adding in Oakleigh district and Beaconsfield for next season.

They will be a powerhouse if that occurs. Nearly double the size of our league.
Tbh I don’t really see bigger as better. I’d rather have better and more umpires, better socials, better administration etc.

Heard some news a new team at Donnybrook is going to enter a few junior teams in the NFL and hope to have senior teams up and going in a couple of seasons,and they will have the Best facilities in the competition,I believe they have a new ground built in the cloverton estate at Donnybrook.

Heard some news a new team at Donnybrook is going to enter a few junior teams in the NFL and hope to have senior teams up and going in a couple of seasons,and they will have the Best facilities in the competition,I believe they have a new ground built in the cloverton estate at Donnybrook.

I wonder if they'll wear the navy and white hoops as the original Donnybrook once did - that would be a nice connection to the history of the area.

Interesting to see a new netball team from an extremely popular school in the north joining the league this year.

I'm hearing its a watch this space on a new footy club from there too. Starting with Juniors obviously, but with a very quick plan for seniors in place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting news.

That area could easily be hotly disputed for EDFL or even RDFL but it’s good to see the NFL be so proactive about establishing a side here.

Looking at the Hume master plan in looks like they have two ovals in place so it will be a great facility.

A new junior club was only formed in Donnybrook a few years ago, the Hume Bombers play in the EDFL.

Is this area ready for another new club so soon?

Interesting to see a new netball team from an extremely popular school in the north joining the league this year.

I'm hearing its a watch this space on a new footy club from there too. Starting with Juniors obviously, but with a very quick plan for seniors in place.

I did see that new netball team and wondered exactly that about football; question is, where would they play? The school? The campus ground looks a decent size on Google Maps and there is now NFNL precedent with Old Eltham Collegians playing at their school ground...

A new junior club was only formed in Donnybrook a few years ago, the Hume Bombers play in the EDFL.

Is this area ready for another new club so soon?

I had thought the Hume Bombers was an Indian club that was welcoming of all, similar to how Fitzroy Stars are an Aboriginal club that is welcoming of all - maybe the vibe of this new Donnybrook club is more that of a typical mainstream suburban club?

Good to hear. Does Hailbury have an oval?

I presume you are talking about Hazel glen and im pretty sure it does.

They are on track for 2000+ students soon. Im pretty sure they have something like 9 prep classes, so the area is massive.

They only need 10% of kids to join the footy club to make it a good size club.

Could be one to watch in the future, and would have an immediate rivalry with Laurimar and Mernda

I presume you are talking about Hazel glen and im pretty sure it does.

They are on track for 2000+ students soon. Im pretty sure they have something like 9 prep classes, so the area is massive.

They only need 10% of kids to join the footy club to make it a good size club.

Could be one to watch in the future, and would have an immediate rivalry with Laurimar and Mernda
Ah yep that’s the one.

Keon Park has next to no chance of forming a senior team. What incentives do current players have to move there. They aren't a st marys or laurimar type club where they can hit the ground running and all you need to do is look at Lalor and reservoir in their immediate area to see how struggling clubs already are in that zone when all they have are struggling juniors.
From my understanding, the junior club wants to focus on juniors and don't have any intention on having a senior side. I've been told the group wanting to get a senior team up has no current association with the Stars but are still trying to get a team up despite the Junior clubs wish to remain a junior club. The Stars were looking good at increasing the number of sides until COVID hit. In that area (where demographics show it is an ageing area), they have done pretty good with junior sides after COVID (KP had 3, Lalor had 0, Thomastown had 1, Reservoir may have had 1 etc). They are pretty focused on the kids and don't want to take their focus away from them. With this being the case, I can't see how the Keon Park senior group is able to get up and running. They would need to find a ground and a league to play in too.

From my understanding, the junior club wants to focus on juniors and don't have any intention on having a senior side. I've been told the group wanting to get a senior team up has no current association with the Stars but are still trying to get a team up despite the Junior clubs wish to remain a junior club. The Stars were looking good at increasing the number of sides until COVID hit. In that area (where demographics show it is an ageing area), they have done pretty good with junior sides after COVID (KP had 3, Lalor had 0, Thomastown had 1, Reservoir may have had 1 etc). They are pretty focused on the kids and don't want to take their focus away from them. With this being the case, I can't see how the Keon Park senior group is able to get up and running. They would need to find a ground and a league to play in too.

Hard to see a senior club out of Keon Park. Where would they get the 60+ players needed to field 2 sides? Neighbouring clubs Lalor and Reservoir are battling away in 3rd division. Different area to clubs such as Laurimar who have a massive junior club thanks to Laurimar primary next door with 1200+ students that will prop up there senior club for decades.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back