New teams coming over the the NFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there any appetite for Yarrambat to create a senior club?
They appear to have a solid junior program and have a decent representation of players making inter league.

Is there any appetite for Yarrambat to create a senior club?
They appear to have a solid junior program and have a decent representation of players making inter league.

Tbh the last thing we need is more senior clubs in areas that have a heap. Yarrambat has a heap around them. The only area probably underrepresented is Preston, but even then WPL, Reservoir, North Heidelberg are a stones throw away.

Yes there is Preston ammos in the VAFA but they’d never jump across. No supporter base and wouldn’t be able to pay the bucks to keep up.

Only Preston side I could see maybe joining is the mighty VFL ants if the AFL ever kyboshes the VFL. Even that would be difficult as most ants fans have NFL sides already. And of course they’d demand entry straight into div 1.

One thing I have heard is that a suburban ‘Super league’ could be created. Featuring the current VFL standalones (port, Preston, coburg, willi, Werribee and Frankston) with the strongest suburban clubs invited.

One thing I have heard is that a suburban ‘Super league’ could be created. Featuring the current VFL standalones (port, Preston, coburg, willi, Werribee and Frankston) with the strongest suburban clubs invited.

I do think things will change as the VFL as it is does not seem (to me) to be sustainable. At the start of the season I had no idea how they would go honestly expecting them to struggle against AFL reserves. A few seem to be doing OK having checked the ladder but I am sure this season financials have been propped up by the AFL (travel especially) Would be interested to know from someone on the inside how these clubs are tracking to be sustainable.

Tbh the last thing we need is more senior clubs in areas that have a heap. Yarrambat has a heap around them. The only area probably underrepresented is Preston, but even then WPL, Reservoir, North Heidelberg are a stones throw away.

Yes there is Preston ammos in the VAFA but they’d never jump across. No supporter base and wouldn’t be able to pay the bucks to keep up.

Only Preston side I could see maybe joining is the mighty VFL ants if the AFL ever kyboshes the VFL. Even that would be difficult as most ants fans have NFL sides already. And of course they’d demand entry straight into div 1.

Why is that the case?

The last 2 sides from the Ammos are doing ok, Banyule 1st in d2 and Turtles 4th in D3

They are in premier C higher that where either of the above teams came from.

They could easily transition with a super strong junior club.

NFNL need to work seriously hard on finding new sides

Ivanhoe
Parade
Wallan
Kinglake
Yarra Glen
Bulleen Templestowe

all potential imo

Wallan and Kinglake were in the DVFL/NFL but pulled out due to Travel Reasons that was years ago

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wallan and Kinglake were in the DVFL/NFL but pulled out due to Travel Reasons that was years ago

Was Wallens travel or they did not dominate like they thought they would. They clearly travel further competing in the Riddell league with places like Melton over 70km away, I think no side is within nearly 40km of them. Were as in Div 3 Eltham would be 50km away but obviously Kilmore very close and Mernda and Sth Morang around 25km away.

Seems their Juniors can handle the travel in the NFNL and there is population growth out that way, I would think discussions on looking at rejoining would be a good move.

Kinglake just could not compete in the old DVFL back in the day and moved to Yarra Ranges and doing OK in Div 2. Doubt it would be on their horizon to move with no real youth growth out there.

Overall the NFNL need to make it attractive to any Club considering moving, currently they are not shining with indecisions, tribunal issues and Clubs not being able to field sides. Once that is all fixed Clubs may start to consider it but if I was not part of the NFNL and my Club was in a happy place I would not be considering it in the current environment.

I wrote this yesterday about teams that the NFNL could possibly look at attracting to Division 3, not trying to create any controversy, was just my thoughts of teams in the area

Fitzroy (vafa) Premier B
Preston (VAFA) Premier C
Old Ivanhoe (vafa) Premier C
Brunswick (vafa) Division 1
Old Paradians (vafa) Division 2
Ivanhoe (vafa) Division 2
West Brunswick (vafa) Division 2
Manningham Cobras (vafa) Division 2
Bulleen-Templestowe (vafa) Division 2
Parkside (vafa) Division 3
North Brunswick (vafa) Division 3
Latrobe Uni (vafa) Division 4

Wallan (rdfl) Agree with Wallan, juniors are playing NFNL but not sure they want to come back, netball is a big part of country footy. RDFL currently 9 teams but talk of a few going to Essendon footy league and maybe another one going to AFL outer east, if they lose 2 more teams not sure a 7 club RDFL league survives.

Kinglake: Was in the old DVFL and at times went ok, however have heard they are happy playing in AFL Outer East Division 2. Netball is a big part of the club (similar to Wallan) so can't seen them moving back to the NFNL

Templestowe (EFL)

Was Wallens travel or they did not dominate like they thought they would. They clearly travel further competing in the Riddell league with places like Melton over 70km away, I think no side is within nearly 40km of them. Were as in Div 3 Eltham would be 50km away but obviously Kilmore very close and Mernda and Sth Morang around 25km away.

Seems their Juniors can handle the travel in the NFNL and there is population growth out that way, I would think discussions on looking at rejoining would be a good move.

Kinglake just could not compete in the old DVFL back in the day and moved to Yarra Ranges and doing OK in Div 2. Doubt it would be on their horizon to move with no real youth growth out there.

Overall the NFNL need to make it attractive to any Club considering moving, currently they are not shining with indecisions, tribunal issues and Clubs not being able to field sides. Once that is all fixed Clubs may start to consider it but if I was not part of the NFNL and my Club was in a happy place I would not be considering it in the current environment.

Wallan And Kinglake definitely pulled out due to Travel Agreed on Kinglake dominating the old YVMDFL competition as for Wallan Seniors nowhere near as dominant in the RDFL

I wrote this yesterday about teams that the NFNL could possibly look at attracting to Division 3, not trying to create any controversy, was just my thoughts of teams in the area

Fitzroy (vafa) Premier B
Preston (VAFA) Premier C

Wallan (rdfl) Agree with Wallan, juniors are playing NFNL but not sure they want to come back, netball is a big part of country footy. RDFL currently 9 teams but talk of a few going to Essendon footy league and maybe another one going to AFL outer east, if they lose 2 more teams not sure a 7 club RDFL league survives.

Kinglake: Was in the old DVFL and at times went ok, however have heard they are happy playing in AFL Outer East Division 2. Netball is a big part of the club (similar to Wallan) so can't seen them moving back to the NFNL

Templestowe (EFL)

Templestowe were in the DVFL years ago too

Did I hear that a new team was confirmed for Division 3 in 2022, or was that just a rumour floating around ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fitzroy (vafa) Premier B
Preston (VAFA) Premier C

Templestowe (EFL)
Weren't Wallan seniors kicked out of the DVL for all in Brawls .
Parkside left NNFL leagues a few years ago to back to the ammos for financial reasons and too keep their juniors
Latrobe has to be in the ammos its part of the agreement with the uni
Parade might be in the same boat as the uni boys being and old boy club

Just my thoughts on a few of the clubs suggested above.

Fitzroy (vafa) Premier B - Their aim is to be a leading Ammo club, no chance of leaving.

Preston (VAFA) Premier C - Their point of difference in the area is being an Ammo club. No big financial backing either, no chance.

Old Ivanhoe (vafa) Premier C - Typical OB mob, won't leave Ammos.

Brunswick (vafa) Division 1 - Would be EDFL if they left

Old Paradians (vafa) Division 2 - A possibility - not your typical old boys mob who think any comp bar the VAFA is scummy

Ivanhoe (vafa) Division 2 - Has been investigated in the past

West Brunswick (vafa) Division 2 - Nowhere near enough money to compete anywhere but lower grade Ammos.

Manningham Cobras (vafa) Division 2 - Very weak club, tiny numbers

Bulleen-Templestowe (vafa) Division 2 - A club worth targeting if they think they have the backing perhaps.

Parkside (vafa) Division 3 - Tried the NFL and didn't like it, won't come back.

North Brunswick (vafa) Division 3 - Very small club, lower grade Ammo's is their spot.

Latrobe Uni (vafa) Division 4 - Will be lucky to exist in 10 years time.

Wallan - Could see them coming over, as the city expands they're now an outer suburb

Kinglake - The bizzare Outer-East comp stretches from the outer north where they are to West Gippsland. Would make sense.

Templestowe - Why would the leave the EFL?

Weren't Wallan seniors kicked out of the DVL for all in Brawls .
Parkside left NNFL leagues a few years ago to back to the ammos for financial reasons and too keep their juniors
Lmao Wallan no chance of brawls in the past have you seen there runner??

Weren't Wallan seniors kicked out of the DVL for all in Brawls . DEFINITELY NOT that is a defamatory statement - Wallan chose to return to RDFL of their own accord. Varying reasons - some of which were lack of sponsor support, no support from opposition supporters attending games (travel is not an issue for Wallan but found other clubs were not so happy (may be different now with Kilmore but back then, just shocking)), inability to attract appropriate playing personnel.

They need to seriously attract some new sides.

Resa is on borrowed time. Lalor trying hard but need to see some wins or who knows.

Any VAFA club will find their feet like Banyule and Turtles have.

Parade are to obessed with their long gone glory days. Need to face facts they’ll be a much better club in the NFNL.

Bulleen Temp are probably on the verge of folding in the VAFA with a super strong junior program could be anything in the NFNL

Ivanhoe same deal as parade.

They need to seriously attract some new sides.

Resa is on borrowed time. Lalor trying hard but need to see some wins or who knows.

Any VAFA club will find their feet like Banyule and Turtles have.

Parade are to obessed with their long gone glory days. Need to face facts they’ll be a much better club in the NFNL.

Bulleen Temp are probably on the verge of folding in the VAFA with a super strong junior program could be anything in the NFNL

Ivanhoe same deal as parade.

I cant let you know that the discussions have had very little to do with Ivanhoe AFC's 'Glory Days' and much more to do with other factors when discussed in the past 10 years - our financial situation & sponsorship options at the time, alignment with junior club and potential merger discussions that were happening (with Old Ivanhoe and before that with Assumption CK).

So with a 2022 and beyond view - Could it happen now: YES. Will it happen now: Maybe
But what I can tell you is that some of the factors that where difficult to move beyond in the past are no longer seen as relevant these days. I'd suggest like several clubs in the lower grades of Ammo footy they are assessing their options.

I personally think it has some merit .....to at least explore anyway, but I'm just one person.

Chump.

I cant let you know that the discussions have had very little to do with Ivanhoe AFC's 'Glory Days' and much more to do with other factors when discussed in the past 10 years - our financial situation & sponsorship options at the time, alignment with junior club and potential merger discussions that were happening (with Old Ivanhoe and before that with Assumption CK).

So with a 2022 and beyond view - Could it happen now: YES. Will it happen now: Maybe
But what I can tell you is that some of the factors that where difficult to move beyond in the past are no longer seen as relevant these days. I'd suggest like several clubs in the lower grades of Ammo footy they are assessing their options.

I personally think it has some merit .....to at least explore anyway, but I'm just one person.

Chump.
I reckon the hardest part is to convince the old timers that it would be a good move. Also in this new covid era it will be harder finding the dollars week in week out ,You can only make so much in bar and canteen sales there will be less sponsors around with a lazy 5 or 10 grand to throw at a club

I reckon the hardest part is to convince the old timers that it would be a good move. Also in this new covid era it will be harder finding the dollars week in week out ,You can only make so much in bar and canteen sales there will be less sponsors around with a lazy 5 or 10 grand to throw at a club
Most clubs I know did their best years sponsorship. Look at the main sponsors of clubs, most are building companies or something to do with building which is going crazy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back