New teams coming over the the NFL

Remove this Banner Ad

majicjman

Senior List
Sep 27, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I have seen that the EDFL thread that that they have two teams crossing over to them, one from the riddle league ( Sunbury) and one fro the WRFL ( Coburg dist) are the teams being mentioned . Are there any wispers of any teams coming over to the NFL as this would solve the bye problem in div 3 and help strengthen the NFL

Laurimar have now started a junior club as well as having a veterans side (probably for all the juniors Dads to have a kick).
Given that there's so much growth out in that area at the moment, it shouldn't be too hard for them to get a senior club going and tack onto D3 over the next few years one would think.
Mernda may not be too happy about it though.

Its definitely the best option. Hopefully there is some smart people out that way, start with an U19s maybe and work your way up. Long term plan and strategies need to be in place but it would be excellent for the area and the NFL.

Its definitely the best option. Hopefully there is some smart people out that way, start with an U19s maybe and work your way up. Long term plan and strategies need to be in place but it would be excellent for the area and the NFL.

Exactly, Denny. Look at St Mary's, haven't been in the competition for long but they had their 19s in the prelim, reserves in the Grand Final and the senior side played finals for the first time too. I praised their quick rise when we played them the first time round in the Northerner.

Hopefully Laurimar can come together and enjoy the same rise that St Mary's have had.

It's also about sustainability, especially financial sustainability. The plus side for both St.Marys and Laurimar is the juniors. St.Marys have an enormous pool of talent that they should be securing for the future. If they have a constant influx of new players/young kids, it opens up so many possibilities. Possibilities of 1) Finding some gun players 2) Broadening their club, which enables more opportunity for sponsorship as well as 3) getting more supporters, and more supporters = more money.

I heard a rumour that St.Marys were struggling financially. Now this was earlier in the season and I'm quite cynical to the credibility of the rumour. (AKA this bloke overheard someone and told a mate who told me etc.)

If Laurimar, or any new team, were to enter teams into a senior competition there should be a set of strict guidelines that determine whether they will be sustainable as a club over a long period of time. A model something like this:

* Access to resources: Pretty self-explanatory and pretty much a given. An adequate playing field, access to to necessary resources.

* Strong committee: Clubs don't run themselves. If a new club were to enter, there needs to be proof that they have people that are going to be able to run the club and keep them up to standard.

* Strong junior club or junior affiliation: Having a strong alignment with a junior club that regularly fields teams through a variety of age-groups as well as securing a constant influx of talent every year. I don't think that it's a great attribute for a club entering the league that can't field U19's every year, or does not have some form of junior alignment.

* Financial Stability: Having a plan that provides proof that the club has access to adequate funds from sponsorship. Nowadays local footy is an expensive business, and if clubs don't have money, or a losing money, they won't be round for much longer.

I'm aware that not all clubs in the league are able to tick all these boxes. For example, North Heidelberg and Fitzroy Stars have no apparent junior affiliation, no U19's and very little 'youth' playing at the club. But it's just like the AFL; i.e some clubs who are already in the league struggle in certain areas off-field (e.g Western Bulldogs, Port Adelaide). As well as this, teams like GWS and Gold Coast wouldn't be in the league if they didn't have a plan for sustainability for many years. If a team with the administration credentials of Port Adelaide put a bid into the AFL, they would be kicked to the curb and never touched again, and the same principles should apply should a team want to enter the Northern Football League.

If the NFL is serious about moving forward, they should be going after teams and trying to poach them back to the league.
Teams like:

* Wallan - About 10 minutes extra drive than to Whittlesea for those living in the Greensborough area. Strong U19 (U18.5 in RDFL) and in a growth area.
* Templestowe - Founding member of the DVFL. Close proximity to Lower Plenty, Montmorency and Eltham. Good connection with Doncaster Heights JFC.
* Warrandyte - Founding member of the DVFL. Strong juniors. Travel wise not too far past Research or Hurstbridge

Those 3 alone could sure up the NFL to 28 teams. (10 Division one, 10 Division two & 8 Division three)

* Access to resources: Pretty self-explanatory and pretty much a given. An adequate playing field, access to to necessary resources.

As I said, Laurimar's ground is superb. Not sure of the facilities, haven't been up there for a while but the ground is simply magnificent.

If the NFL is serious about moving forward, they should be going after teams and trying to poach them back to the league.
Teams like:

* Wallan - About 10 minutes extra drive than to Whittlesea for those living in the Greensborough area. Strong U19 (U18.5 in RDFL) and in a growth area.
* Templestowe - Founding member of the DVFL. Close proximity to Lower Plenty, Montmorency and Eltham. Good connection with Doncaster Heights JFC.
* Warrandyte - Founding member of the DVFL. Strong juniors. Travel wise not too far past Research or Hurstbridge

Those 3 alone could sure up the NFL to 28 teams. (10 Division one, 10 Division two & 8 Division three)

Kinglake, or would that be taking it a tad too far? If we were to go after Kinglake that would make nine. And Laurimar 10. 30 teams in the NFL I think is their long term goal.

As I said, Laurimar's ground is superb. Not sure of the facilities, haven't been up there for a while but the ground is simply magnificent.

Kinglake, or would that be taking it a tad too far? If we were to go after Kinglake that would make nine. And Laurimar 10. 30 teams in the NFL I think is their long term goal.
Kinglake! Wasn't that a fun trip away in June/July. How many games called off with fog and Snow over the years? I think Warrandyte were discussed a few years back and the members were 50/50. Unfortunately the 50 against were going to walk I heard.

Kinglake! Wasn't that a fun trip away in June/July. How many games called off with fog and Snow over the years? I think Warrandyte were discussed a few years back and the members were 50/50. Unfortunately the 50 against were going to walk I heard.

Warrandyte will stay in the efl.

Couldn't see Templestowe or Warrandyte leaving the Eastern league.....unless either of them got in to trouble.... and then would the NFL want them?

there had been rumours that ivanhoe were thinking of coming across but those have been going around for years, im going to put another question out there, which suburbs could form new teams from scratch??
could there be teams from preston,thornbury,clifton hill and if so where would they set up base???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's also about sustainability, especially financial sustainability. The plus side for both St.Marys and Laurimar is the juniors. St.Marys have an enormous pool of talent that they should be securing for the future. If they have a constant influx of new players/young kids, it opens up so many possibilities. Possibilities of 1) Finding some gun players 2) Broadening their club, which enables more opportunity for sponsorship as well as 3) getting more supporters, and more supporters = more money.

I heard a rumour that St.Marys were struggling financially. Now this was earlier in the season and I'm quite cynical to the credibility of the rumour. (AKA this bloke overheard someone and told a mate who told me etc.)

If Laurimar, or any new team, were to enter teams into a senior competition there should be a set of strict guidelines that determine whether they will be sustainable as a club over a long period of time. A model something like this:

* Strong committee: Clubs don't run themselves. If a new club were to enter, there needs to be proof that they have people that are going to be able to run the club and keep them up to standard.

* Strong junior club or junior affiliation: Having a strong alignment with a junior club that regularly fields teams through a variety of age-groups as well as securing a constant influx of talent every year. I don't think that it's a great attribute for a club entering the league that can't field U19's every year, or does not have some form of junior alignment.

* Financial Stability: Having a plan that provides proof that the club has access to adequate funds from sponsorship. Nowadays local footy is an expensive business, and if clubs don't have money, or a losing money, they won't be round for much longer.

I'm aware that not all clubs in the league are able to tick all these boxes. For example, North Heidelberg and Fitzroy Stars have no apparent junior affiliation, no U19's and very little 'youth' playing at the club. But it's just like the AFL; i.e some clubs who are already in the league struggle in certain areas off-field (e.g Western Bulldogs, Port Adelaide). As well as this, teams like GWS and Gold Coast wouldn't be in the league if they didn't have a plan for sustainability for many years. If a team with the administration credentials of Port Adelaide put a bid into the AFL, they would be kicked to the curb and never touched again, and the same principles should apply should a team want to enter the Northern Football League.

Teams like:

Some interesting thoughts here but your overall argument is simplistic and one sided:
1. Why would a club in the EFL ever think the NFL would be a better option? Thats madness!
2. Heidleberg were rejected by AFL Vic from moving to EFL because they were geographically on the north of the Yarra. The same ruling would surely be applied if Temp, Warrandyte if they chose to come back???
2. The existing NFL club numbers is probably more in decline that in growth. Without naming teams, there is probably 6 that are tenuous and merging / folding is more likely than continuing. To assume the NFL can get to 28 clubs via your suggestion is not likely. I think they need to revert to 2 divisions, consolidate the quality and viability through rationalised player numbers and build a long term plan based around growth corridors.
4. Every metro league has signed an agreement with the afl ensuring that poaching or enticing clubs to leave leagues is not done. This includes ammos as well. To think the NFL will go out and seduce clubs to join them just cant happen.

This may be a silly question, but can someone please explain to me why Mill Park, one of the biggest junior clubs in the league, never set up a senior team?

I know that Bundoora are considered Mill Park's seniors but I always thought that with the big rivalries that Mill Park juniors have had over the years, it would have been great if they had a seniors team.

Same question applies to Yarrambat.

1. Why would a club in the EFL ever think the NFL would be a better option? Thats madness!
2. Heidleberg were rejected by AFL Vic from moving to EFL because they were geographically on the north of the Yarra. The same ruling would surely be applied if Temp, Warrandyte if they chose to come back???
I can't see Templestowe or Warrandyte leaving the EFL anytime soon.
If they wanted to leave though, i reckon the transfer would go through.

there had been rumours that ivanhoe were thinking of coming across but those have been going around for years, im going to put another question out there, which suburbs could form new teams from scratch??
could there be teams from preston,thornbury,clifton hill and if so where would they set up base???

Northern Blues are a new club in the Preston area with 19s, and 2 senior sides but have chosen to join the VAFA

Northern Blues v Bundoora - World War III :mad:

Be great to see Mill Park in the DVFL, everyone hates their cricket team and they'll produce good fair as a result. Lovely ground too overlooking the lake and the charcoal chicken shop near the clubroom is ace and sponsor the CC and the FC if my memory serves me well :thumbsu:

Like to see Warrandyte back in, Templestowe wouldn't leave the EFL, everyone would bring up the "superclub merger" issue again

This may be a silly question, but can someone please explain to me why Mill Park, one of the biggest junior clubs in the league, never set up a senior team?

I know that Bundoora are considered Mill Park's seniors but I always thought that with the big rivalries that Mill Park juniors have had over the years, it would have been great if they had a seniors team.

Same question applies to Yarrambat.

Because the committees of the 80s & 90s were too interested & selfish in winning Junior premiership's rather than developing their juniors to be senior players at a Senior Mill Park, if they had gone with seniors they would have had a huge supporter base by now.

Northern Blues v Bundoora - World War III :mad:

Be great to see Mill Park in the DVFL, everyone hates their cricket team and they'll produce good fair as a result. Lovely ground too overlooking the lake and the charcoal chicken shop near the clubroom is ace and sponsor the CC and the FC if my memory serves me well :thumbsu:

Like to see Warrandyte back in, Templestowe wouldn't leave the EFL, everyone would bring up the "superclub merger" issue again
Give us all a break numb skull, who is everyone that hates Mill Park C.C? I thought it was Sth Morang that was on everyone's dislike list especially on their windswept ovals

Bundoora used to have some heated matches in all grades and speaking to other clubs the pavilion at the Stables used to grind a few gears

Why on the back foot? The rivalries in the DVFL and the DVCA are great, everyone hates Bundoora too and I love it!

Warrandyte are struggling at the moment in EFL D3..... but are a firmly entrenched EFL club.
I reckon a senior club coming out of Laurimar is the most likely scenario in the next few seasons. They already have a junior outfit started and they have Vets too. Lots of kids coming through down there and they won't all drive off the estate to other clubs if they get U19, Reserves and Seniors going.

i hope the NFL let Laurimar get an u19 team in first and then let them build the seniors and seconds that way i think they will be able to get to keep the kids around and progress then up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back