New teams coming over the the NFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Kinglake will do everything they can to get over in 2023 although AFL outer east will make it as difficult as possible.

They absolutely cooked the once functional Yarra Ranges league and clubs want out.

hopefully happens
Jeez there'd be a few teams requesting the away game to Kinglake in April and May. Bugger playing them away in June/July haha

Jeez there'd be a few teams requesting the away game to Kinglake in April and May. Bugger playing them away in June/July haha

Remember the old days we caught a few buses up there. Kinglake loved it as it was a captured audience, had marquees and fires going. Awesome food and drinks. Even though scoreline was not great they had atmosphere in the rooms for an hour then buses back to our rooms. Yeah it got chilly but if you only do it once a year made it a worthwhile event.

paywall can't read can you cut and paste?
The Northern and Outer East football netball leagues are locked in a tug-of-war for Kinglake.
The two leagues have both claimed the Lakes will play in their competitions in 2023.

The Lakers declared their intention to leave the OEFNL earlier this season and were unanimously voted into the NFNL by club presidents on September 6.

However, OEFNL board blocked the move under the league’s constitution on September 13, stating member clubs must give 12 months notice.

Yet the NFNL announced the move on Wednesday night, saying the Lakers’ return in 2023 had been ratified by AFL Victoria.

The OEFNL maintains the wantaway club has not been cleared and the league’s position remains unchanged and it will be held to the terms of its agreement.

In a statement to Leader, AFL Victoria said it was aware of Kinglake’s desire to move.

“AFL Victoria is aware of Kinglake’s intent to transfer to the Northern Football Netball League (and) the league is undertaking the normal procedure to admit Kinglake,” it read.

“AFL Victoria has acknowledged the notice from the NFNL that they intend to accept Kinglake and has no objections.”

Kinglake voted in favour of the constitution and signed a memorandum of understanding with the OEFNL at the start of the season.

If the move to the NFNL goes ahead, the club will be entered into in Division 3 and will also enter netball teams in the league’s summer competition.

VOTE: OEFNL BLOCKS KINGLAKE VOTE, VOTES ON NEW CLUB

LEADER: GET YOUR NORTHERN FOOTY NEWS HERE

TALENT: THE TOP 200 PLAYERS IN METRO FOOTY NAMED

The Kinglake Junior Football Club is already a member of the Northern Football League.

Kinglake was a member of the Diamond Valley/Northern league from 1996 to 2007 before shifting to the Outer East, then known as the Yarra Valley Mountain District Football League.

The Lakers claimed the minor premiership in the Outer East Division 2 competition this year but fell to Powelltown in the grand final.

Kinglake has been contacted for comment.

Heard some news a new team at Donnybrook is going to enter a few junior teams in the NFL and hope to have senior teams up and going in a couple of seasons,and they will have the Best facilities in the competition,I believe they have a new ground built in the cloverton estate at Donnybrook.
Their grounds and clubrooms are actually in the Mirvac estate which is down the Woodstock end of Donnybrook rd. (Olivine)
I have a friend who lives in the area and he is saying this club is having lots of trouble.
The grounds / clubrooms are behind and apparently there are issues with council and the developer.
They are a way off having any junior football let alone seniors. (Although they did have Auskick last football season)
Club is pourly run with people leaving frustrated with how it is run. A lot of politics going on and people just walking out.
My friend tried to help out and contacted the club wanting to get on the committee. (He could bring in some sponsorship $$$ too) but was just ignored and never contacted.

He said he can see the club folding if the NFL don’t get involved and put football / netball people in place.

If Banyule persist with this urge to move leagues, and the NFL support it, and the local NFL clubs agree to it, etc etc etc, I predict this will be the beginning of the end for Banyule. You don't/can't create a culture of supporting a $150,000 a year footy team quickly and Banyules senior club is a long way from that type of set up. Also, being in the NFL will put them into direct competition with two very powerful and well prepared opponents in Hberg and Macleod. They will continue to be a more attractive offer for young talent. And just ask clubs like Borough, Macleod how hard it is to compete against the recruiting capabilities of the Hbergs, Bulls and Mont. Banyule will HAVE to get out there and try an attract some big names and not just rely on home grown talent as we have seen so often. I would be surprised if they have seriously considered how difficult their plans will be
This aged well.

On SM-X900 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was never skeptical.

Massive junior club who were playing in Prem C in the VAFA without a giant school attached…

They’ll win a D1 flag in the next decade imo

Banyule, Thommo (20+ years ago) and Turtles all ex-VAFA clubs who you could argue are going ok in developing and growing their respective clubs within their current divisions/past few years. Will be interesting to see how each performs this season with Banyule taking the step up and the other two in the race for some finals action.

Chump :trophy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think if Old Paradians want to come into the NFNL they be accepted as well. Who knows what will happen with Lalor, let’s hope they survive.

It then means a top 5 finals series for all 3 divisions which is great.

Does the NFNL need to look at the ammo’s way of promoting the 2 grand final teams, not just the premier and relegating the bottom 2 teams from division 1 & 2? Thoughts??

I think if Old Paradians want to come into the NFNL they be accepted as well. Who knows what will happen with Lalor, let’s hope they survive.

It then means a top 5 finals series for all 3 divisions which is great.

Does the NFNL need to look at the ammo’s way of promoting the 2 grand final teams, not just the premier and relegating the bottom 2 teams from division 1 & 2? Thoughts??

It would be a final 5 regardless of whether OPs join or not.

Currently all three divisions have 10 teams. I can't see Lalor folding at the moment. Especially with some rumours around plans for next season.

You only need to look at the bottom of Division 1 and the top of division 2 to realise that a two up/two down approach makes sense.

It would be a final 5 regardless of whether OPs join or not.

Currently all three divisions have 10 teams. I can't see Lalor folding at the moment. Especially with some rumours around plans for next season.

You only need to look at the bottom of Division 1 and the top of division 2 to realise that a two up/two down approach makes sense.
Maybe give the sides the option, but plenty wouldn’t want to go up without the taste of a premiership.

Some people at Keon Park have been keen to get their senior club up and running again via their social media page; if OPs come in and create an 11 team comp, KP could see it as their chance to make their move to join the NFNL to eliminate the bye and have a 12 team Div 3. That being said, they'd need to quickly recruit enough players for seniors and reserves and with footy looking shaky in the area by how Reservoir and Lalor are going, I do think it is more unlikely than likely. Plus, KP juniors don't have as many teams as they used to so the pathway bringing in young kids seems to be against them too.

The golden number has been reached. 30 clubs.

Million dollar question, what happens from here?
The feasibility of Lalor needs to be undertaken. Another year forfeiting games or stopping at half time can’t be had.

In saying that a club with such a long and rich history should be given absolutely every chance to continue on.

Some people at Keon Park have been keen to get their senior club up and running again via their social media page; if OPs come in and create an 11 team comp, KP could see it as their chance to make their move to join the NFNL to eliminate the bye and have a 12 team Div 3. That being said, they'd need to quickly recruit enough players for seniors and reserves and with footy looking shaky in the area by how Reservoir and Lalor are going, I do think it is more unlikely than likely. Plus, KP juniors don't have as many teams as they used to so the pathway bringing in young kids seems to be against them too.
They’ve been trying for a bit now. Has to be a dead duck, the club hasn’t existed for 30 odd years, which is longer than it actually did exist I believe and they don’t get along with the junior club from what I’ve heard. Add that to being smack bang in the middle of Rezza and Lalor and it doesn’t add up. Good luck to them though, sure are persistent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back