New style now available for preview

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also the way it abbreviates thread titles is a bit confusing, some threads have very similar titles on different boards, and I would hate for someone to have both the Sydney and Essendon EF threads watched, for example, and accidentally post something completely inappropriate on our board thinking they were on Sydney's.
I don't really think this will be an issue. They will get an alert as well with the full thread title.

I'm still trying to work it out - you are culling your watch list simply because you don't like seeing those alerts?

BTW the icon links to watched Forums and Watched Threads.
View attachment 410928
Yeah, put simply I unwatched GD, drafts, main AFL board and the bay because of the purple thing. But I only watched them in the first place for reasons of convenience.

What happened is when I started using the new 'slick' theme I also started using the navigation thing on the left to get back to the Essendon board because we don't have the club board link in the header yet;
Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 3.37.42 pm.png
I usually zoom my browser out a bit so that the navigation thing doesn't cover up half the forum, as I've mentioned elsewhere.

I started adding forums to 'watched forums' list so they would come up in the navigator and I could get to them easily. So this morning I had about 12 or 13 watched forums including the drafts board, the main AFL board, the bay and general discussion. The issue for me is that those four boards in particular get a lot of activity and they always come up in the purple thing. That's obviously intentional, and it's fine for the most part.

The problem for me (and it's a me-problem not a forum-problem), is that I only lurk those four boards infrequently, like maybe once a month, other than GD. There's only so much space in the purple thing, and those four boards have so much activity that they constantly pop up there and crowd out more important things (mod stuff, Essendon threads).

It's not a big deal it's just a small change to the way I used the site so it suits me better, that's all. The purple thing is really handy so long as the things there are things I want to click on.

The purple thing is really handy so long as the things there are things I want to click on.
It has two functions: links to things that are likely to appeal to a broad range of users (which it does in the "cool" style used by most users right now), and links to the latest activity on boards and threads you watch.

So, the new bar adds a bit extra to the bar that we have had for a few years now.

It has two functions: links to things that are likely to appeal to a broad range of users (which it does in the "cool" style used by most users right now), and links to the latest activity on boards and threads you watch.

So, the new bar adds a bit extra to the bar that we have had for a few years now.
I never took much notice of it in the "cool" style... I guess it stands out a bit more in the slick one.

I'm still trying to work it out - you are culling your watch list simply because you don't like seeing those alerts?

BTW the icon links to watched Forums and Watched Threads.
View attachment 410928

I tried culling mine and it's still an intrusive duplication of what was already available with added irrelevancies :)

I am sure some will love it, I will love the option to hide the bloody thing tbh

I tried culling mine and it's still an intrusive duplication of what was already available with added irrelevancies :)

I am sure some will love it, I will love the option to hide the bloody thing tbh

I honestly don't get why there is a strong reaction. We are still poking at it a bit - the exclamation mark might be removed, not sure. It was supposed to show number of unread posts but that proved to be a server killer.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I honestly don't get why there is a strong reaction. We are still poking at it a bit - the exclamation mark might be removed, not sure. It was supposed to show number of unread posts but that proved to be a server killer.

I'm not strongly opposed, I simply don't think it adds anything to the way I use BF now.
My default landing page is unwatched threads, that appears to wipe out half it's purpose and the other half is of minimal if any interest, in the below (my current bar) example;

upload_2017-9-2_8-43-2.png

All the Topicals hold no interest, and all the exclamation marked links are already below in my unwatched thread list, and are displayed there in a way that I can see the whole thread title, see who last posted and see what board it's on, all of which are important to me when deciding where to go next.

So it's not that I hate it, it simply does nothing for me at the moment.

I'm not strongly opposed, I simply don't think it adds anything to the way I use BF now.
My default landing page is unwatched threads, that appears to wipe out half it's purpose and the other half is of minimal if any interest, in the below (my current bar) example;

View attachment 411118

All the Topicals hold no interest, and all the exclamation marked links are already below in my unwatched thread list, and are displayed there in a way that I can see the whole thread title, see who last posted and see what board it's on, all of which are important to me when deciding where to go next.

So it's not that I hate it, it simply does nothing for me at the moment.

No worries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Square avs don't look right for mine, I preferred the circle ^_^ Looks like it's floating in the middle of nowhere now.

All the extra info is behind a stupid tab as well. Can't see posts, likes etc at glance, odd.
Yeah I am tossing up what to do about collapsible info - might put the team above it and the medals inside it.

The main driver with collapsible info is the medals. Some people have more than a South American general.

Yeah I am tossing up what to do about collapsible info - might put the team above it and the medals inside it.

The main driver with collapsible info is the medals. Some people have more than a South American general.
I'd flip the current layout and keep the collapsible menu just for medals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back