State New South Wales Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Spinner Steve O’Keefe (retired), batsmen Nick Bertus and Ryan Gibson, leg-spinner Daniel Fallins, fast bowlers Chad Sammut and Greg West and allrounder Param Uppal have all dropped off the list.
IIRC Bertus is heading to SA and there was talk Gibson might do so too.

That's a fairly skinny batting lineup when Smith and Warner aren't there though......

EDIT: That's probably over-egging it now I think about it; Hughes, Larkin, Patterson, Solway, Henriques is a decent core and Edwards, Gilkes, Holt and Sangha have upside.

Gibson was rumored to be off to SA at one point, and now Bertus is. whether they both go...the others aren't much of a loss, excluding SOK of course. Strange that Sams and Dwarshuis stick around.

I'm guessing we're back to always having 5 bowlers. If so, we really can't afford to waste our time with Larkin anymore

Hughes
Solway
Patterson
Henriques
Gilkes/Sangha/Edwards
Nevill
Abbott
Copeland
Zampa/Lyon
Tremain
Conway/Hatcher

I have to assume the upcoming season will be the last one with the Nevill/Henriques/Copeland trio.

17 man squad for the Shield named

• Peter Nevill (c)(+)
  • Daniel Hughes
  • Nick Larkin
  • Kurtis Patterson
  • Moises Henriques
  • Daniel Solway
  • Jason Sangha
  • Matthew Gilkes
  • Sean Abbott
  • Trent Copeland
  • Mitchell Starc
  • Chris Tremain
  • Nathan Lyon
  • Liam Hatcher
  • Harry Conway
  • Jack Edwards
  • Tanveer Sangha

New faces being the return of Tremain and Tanveer Sangha as the second spinning option

Last Shield XI was
  • Hughes
  • Larkin
  • Patterson
  • Solway
  • Gilkes
  • Nevill
  • Edwards
  • Abbott
  • Copeland
  • Lyon
  • Conway
Have to squeeze Starc, Henriques and possibly Tremain in that team.

17 man squad for the Shield named

• Peter Nevill (c)(+)
  • Daniel Hughes
  • Nick Larkin
  • Kurtis Patterson
  • Moises Henriques
  • Daniel Solway
  • Jason Sangha
  • Matthew Gilkes
  • Sean Abbott
  • Trent Copeland
  • Mitchell Starc
  • Chris Tremain
  • Nathan Lyon
  • Liam Hatcher
  • Harry Conway
  • Jack Edwards
  • Tanveer Sangha

New faces being the return of Tremain and Tanveer Sangha as the second spinning option

Last Shield XI was
  • Hughes
  • Larkin
  • Patterson
  • Solway
  • Gilkes
  • Nevill
  • Edwards
  • Abbott
  • Copeland
  • Lyon
  • Conway
Have to squeeze Starc, Henriques and possibly Tremain in that team.
Edwards, Abbott and Conway out

I'm not 100% sure Tremain is a lock tbh. Personally I probably would play him but it wouldn't stun me if one out of Abbott or Conway keeps their place

Huge innings in Sydney first grade on the weekend.

St George are 4/11 and then 6/52 chasing 356 for victory in a two-day match against North Sydney. Enter Saints #8 Walsh with a first grade highest score of 53 (his only first grade half century) and a high score of 63 across all grades hit way back in 2012/13.

Walsh proceeds to hit 208 off 209 balls. He gets out 5 runs short of the target (probably costing himself man of the match) before the Saints #11 hits a four off the last ball of the match (funnily enough they only needed a single) to take the win.

Gotta be one of the most remarkable games ever played in Australian club cricket.

Last edited:
NSW Blues Marsh One-Day Cup squad, Round 1 v. Victoria, North Sydney Oval, Monday 15 February
  • Pat CUMMINS (Captain)
  • Sean ABBOTT
  • Harry CONWAY
  • Oliver DAVIES
  • Ben DWARSHUIS
  • Jack EDWARDS
  • Liam HATCHER
  • Matthew GILKES
  • Moises HENRIQUES
  • Daniel HUGHES
  • Nathan LYON
  • Kurtis PATTERSON
  • Steve SMITH

NSW Blues Marsh Sheffield Shield squad, Round 4 v. Victoria, SCG, 17-20 February
  • Peter NEVILL (Captain)
  • Sean ABBOTT
  • Harry CONWAY
  • Trent COPELAND
  • Josh HAZLEWOOD
  • Moises HENRIQUES
  • Daniel HUGHES
  • Nick LARKIN
  • Nathan LYON
  • Kurtis PATTERSON
  • Steve SMITH
  • Daniel SOLWAY
  • Mitchell STARC

Interesting question someone asked me and I didn't know the answer so I'm hoping the more esteemed follower of NSW could tell me. Who was the last player to move from another state to play Shield cricket for NSW that wasn't Peter Nevill? Excluding NSWman who are moving back to NSW (Zampa, Tremain, Lyon etc.) and guys from the ACT. I could only really think of Beau Casson but I'm sure there'd be one after that.

Edit: I've just thought of Shane Watson and he'd be after Casson.

The original question was who was the last non-NSWman to play Shield for NSW other than Nevill and I said Mason Crane (which might be wrong) so then it moved on to the above question.

Interesting question someone asked me and I didn't know the answer so I'm hoping the more esteemed follower of NSW could tell me. Who was the last player to move from another state to play Shield cricket for NSW that wasn't Peter Nevill? Excluding NSWman who are moving back to NSW (Zampa, Tremain, Lyon etc.) and guys from the ACT. I could only really think of Beau Casson but I'm sure there'd be one after that.

Edit: I've just thought of Shane Watson and he'd be after Casson.

The original question was who was the last non-NSWman to play Shield for NSW other than Nevill and I said Mason Crane (which might be wrong) so then it moved on to the above question.
I was gonna say Shane Watson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you count Ryan Carters? I know he is originally from the ACT but he first played for Victoria before NSW.

As for last non-NSWelshman, might be Will Somerville? Dunno when he stopped and when Mason Crane played

Simon Katich, Shane Watson, Beau Casson, Stuart MacGill, Peter Nevill, Mason Crane, James Stewart are the ones I can think of in recent decades that have been genuine imports for NSW. Graham Thorpe (who was coaching) and Ian Salisbury were non Australians who got close but never got a run.
As for last non-NSWelshman, might be Will Somerville?
Bit of an odd one to classify. Wasn't born in NSW and didn't make his FC debut for NSW, but was raised here as he did all his high school years at Cranbrook in Sydney before leaving for New Zealand for university. He also played in Sydney for University and Easts for a good 5-6 years before getting picked for NSW. For mine not an import - made his NSW debut at 29, and from the start of his teenage years to then, his only time outside NSW was 4 or 5 seasons in NZ from the start of his 20's.

EDIT: Wiki says family moved to NSW aged 9, so from 9 to 29, 15-16 years in NSW and 4-5 in NZ.

Last edited:
Starc and Smith have pulled out of the Shield game v Victoria. Starc's father passed away from cancer on Tuesday while Smith has an elbow issue. Hatcher and J.Sangha are their replacements in the squad of XIII.

Peter NEVILL (Captain)
Sean ABBOTT
Harry CONWAY
Trent COPELAND
Pat CUMMINS
Liam HATCHER
Moises HENRIQUES
Daniel HUGHES
Nick LARKIN
Nathan LYON
Kurtis PATTERSON
Jason SANGHA
Daniel SOLWAY

In: Conway, Cummins, Hatcher, Sangha, Solway
Out: Hazlewood, Smith, Starc

I hope they play Sangha but suspect it will be

Larkin
Hughes
Patterson
Henriques
Solway
Nevill
Cummins
Abbott
Copeland
Lyon
Conway

Starc and Smith have pulled out of the Shield game v Victoria. Starc's father passed away from cancer on Tuesday while Smith has an elbow issue. Hatcher and J.Sangha are their replacements in the squad of XIII.

Peter NEVILL (Captain)
Sean ABBOTT
Harry CONWAY
Trent COPELAND
Pat CUMMINS
Liam HATCHER
Moises HENRIQUES
Daniel HUGHES
Nick LARKIN
Nathan LYON
Kurtis PATTERSON
Jason SANGHA
Daniel SOLWAY

In: Conway, Cummins, Hatcher, Sangha, Solway
Out: Hazlewood, Smith, Starc

I hope they play Sangha but suspect it will be

Larkin
Hughes
Patterson
Henriques
Solway
Nevill
Cummins
Abbott
Copeland
Lyon
Conway
I suspect Sangha plays instead of Conway. After the last game I think they'll feel it more prudent to play 7 genuine bats, plus it gives a good balance to the bowling.

as always they should just drop Larkin.

NSW never thinks its prudent to play 7 bats, so I don't see why they would know, but obviously they should
Larkin has been better than Hughes this season tbf.

I suspect Sangha plays instead of Conway. After the last game I think they'll feel it more prudent to play 7 genuine bats, plus it gives a good balance to the bowling.

If NSW haven't came to that conclusion after about 15 odd years of going bowler heavy they sure as hell won't be now

Superstar opener David Warner is set to return to cricket for the NSW Blues on Thursday after six weeks recovering from a groin injury.

Warner was today named in NSW’s Marsh One Day Cup squad for Thursday’s fixture against South Australia in Adelaide.

He will take the place of Daniel Hughes, who has a shoulder complaint, while Nick Larkin comes in for Steve Smith, who is still rehabbing his elbow injury.

Pat Cummins will again captain the One Day Cup squad that won their season opener against Victoria at North Sydney Oval last month by 59 runs.

Blues head coach Phil Jaques said it was pleasing to see Warner back after some time off the park.

“We all know Davey’s quality as a player in all formats and it’s great to see him back for the Blues for this game,” Jaques said.

“He has worked really hard on his rehab and has been great around the group when he’s been at training.

“It will be fantastic to have his experience around the team over the coming weeks.”

NSW’s team for the next round of the Marsh Sheffield Shield, scheduled to start in Adelaide on Saturday will be named later this week.

NSW Blues Marsh One-Day Cup squad, Round 2 v. South Australia, Adelaide Oval, Thursday March 4 (D/N):

Pat CUMMINS (Captain)
Sean ABBOTT
Harry CONWAY
Oliver DAVIES
Ben DWARSHUIS
Jack EDWARDS
Liam HATCHER
Matthew GILKES
Moises HENRIQUES
Nick LARKIN
Nathan LYON
Kurtis PATTERSON
David WARNER

Test stars David Warner, Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood have all been named to return to the NSW Blues for the team’s next Marsh Sheffield Shield match that will begin at the Adelaide Oval on Saturday.

Out of the squad that finished with a draw against Victoria at Bankstown on Sunday are Pat Cummins, Liam Hatcher and Jason Sangha.

Warner will play his first Shield game of the season, while Starc (bereavement leave) and Hazlewood (rested) return having missed the last round.

Warner will make his return to cricket on Thursday in the Blues’ Marsh One Day Cup game against the Redbacks.

Steve Smith will miss the game as he continues to rehab an elbow injury, while Cummins rests under the fast bowler rotation policy the Blues have undertaken with a view to having their best players fit and firing at the end of the season.

The One Day team leave for Adelaide tomorrow, while those playing Shield only will travel on Friday.

NSW Blues Marsh Sheffield Shield squad, Round 6 v. South Australia, Adelaide Oval, Saturday March 6 to Tuesday March 9

Peter NEVILL (Captain)
Sean ABBOTT
Harry CONWAY
Trent COPELAND
Josh HAZLEWOOD
Moises HENRIQUES
Daniel HUGHES
Nick LARKIN
Nathan LYON
Kurtis PATTERSON
Daniel SOLWAY
Mitchell STARC