State New South Wales Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel Solway wins grade cricketer of the year. Still not sure why he was dropped from the Shield side a few years ago now but equally as puzzling he’s not received another chance with the poor batting this season.

Daniel Solway wins grade cricketer of the year. Still not sure why he was dropped from the Shield side a few years ago now but equally as puzzling he’s not received another chance with the poor batting this season.

😷 😷…”something, somethin…pathway…”

If a player wasn't in the under 19s pathway, they're given a much shorter leash.

It's almost like this great reluctance to pick a player like Solway on the back of grade performances and then it almost feels like the selectors are disappointed when he scores a ton in his first or second match.

It's a sad state of affairs IMO.

Nope, he has relinquished the reins as admitted it was hurting his batting. Hughes would have my vote if he was younger. I think Sangha is a bolter as he has been a stand in skipper on occasions and went fine, in fact his batting improved. It may just rejuvenate his career as it sure needs a big injection because one more failed season and it is sayonora Sangha time.

Worried about giving Sangha the reigns but he's probably the most logical one

My money was on Sangha, but surprise surprise those nongs have given it to Henriques. FF sake the bloke should have retired two years ago, now he will be holding the reins. Still he may provide Sangha with some mentoring for if and when he takes over leadership.

Bit of a delve into the archives with the appointment of a bunch of former Blues elites to join the coaching staff in Michael Bevan and Shane Watson while former Test quicks Geoff Lawson and Stuart Clark will be on the selection panel.
Oh good, Michael Bevan who in interviews has said he doesn't really watch cricket anymore and Clark/Lawson whose (from what I've heard from them) views on the game are incredibly tunnel visioned.

Watson is class so happy with that.

NSW Blues 2023-24 squad: Jackson Bird, Oliver Davies, Ben Dwarshuis, Jack Edwards, Matthew Gilkes, Chris Green, Ryan Hackney, Ryan Hadley, Liam Hatcher, Moises Henriques (c) Baxter Holt, Daniel Hughes, Hayden Kerr, Blake Macdonald, Blake Nikitaras, Kurtis Patterson, Ross Pawson, Jason Sangha, Tanveer Sangha, Chris Tremain.
Rookies: Joel Davies, Jack Nisbet, Will Salzmann, Lachlan Shaw, Hunar Verma

My Top Shield X1:
Hackney
Hughes
Macdonald
Patterson
Sangha
Henriques
Holt
Tremain
Bird
Pawson
T Sangha

ODD X1:
Gilkes
Macdonald/Nikitaras
Davies
Sangha
Edwards
Kerr
Dwarhuis
Tremain
Hatcher/Hadley
Bird
T Sangha/Green

Last edited:
Oh good, Michael Bevan who in interviews has said he doesn't really watch cricket anymore and Clark/Lawson whose (from what I've heard from them) views on the game are incredibly tunnel visioned.

Watson is class so happy with that.
I rate S Clark on and off the field - when NSW cricket is strong Australia is strong - he’s at least prepared to put back in and will ensure spots in the team are earned not gifted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rate S Clark on and off the field - when NSW cricket is strong Australia is strong - he’s at least prepared to put back in and will ensure spots in the team are earned not gifted
Yeh, I like Stu too. He has gone hard against the pathways programs recently when he called out NSW cricket for giving contracts to certain pathways players. Without mentioning names he was certainly alluding to players like Jack Edwards who got contracts through pathways despite not having a single 100 at any grade level at the time. Rightfully kicked up a stink about Konstas not even getting a rookie contract for this season despite breaking the Sutherland premier cricket record for most runs in a season and then only been picked for the last 2nd XI match where he made a cruisy 70 odd not out. Picking kids for rookie contracts based on potential is fine, but then ignoring a 17/18 year old that had broken premier cricket records is bizarre. They need to find a balance of potential and actual results.

Possibly silly to compare state setups but guys like Sangha and Edwards in NSW were handed their baggy blues well before they were ready. In comparison, Qld's most recent debutants in the last few season's like Clayton, Street, Bryant etc all had around 15 1st grade centuries each before they debuted, Street made a 2nd XI triple 100 and wasn't even going to get a shield match until Heazlett broke a finger. 23-25 year old guys who have been playing 1st grade premier cricket for years and scoring runs is the sweet spot unless they are a prodigious talent, NSW just seems to think any u19 NSW player that plays for Aus u19's is a prodigious talent when they probably aren't quite ready.

Last edited:
Yeh, I like Stu too. He has gone hard against the pathways programs recently when he called out NSW cricket for giving contracts to certain pathways players. Without mentioning names he was certainly alluding to players like Jack Edwards who got contracts through pathways despite not having a single 100 at any grade level at the time. Rightfully kicked up a stink about Konstas not even getting a rookie contract for this season despite breaking the Sutherland premier cricket record for most runs in a season and then only been picked for the last 2nd XI match where he made a cruisy 70 odd not out. Picking kids for rookie contracts based on potential is fine, but then ignoring a 17/18 year old that had broken premier cricket records is bizarre. They need to find a balance of potential and actual results.

Possibly silly to compare state setups but guys like Sangha and Edwards in NSW were handed their baggy blues well before they were ready. In comparison, Qld's most recent debutants in the last few season's like Clayton, Street, Bryant etc all had around 15 1st grade centuries each before they debuted, Street made a 2nd XI triple 100 and wasn't even going to get a shield match until Heazlett broke a finger. 23-25 year old guys who have been playing 1st grade premier cricket for years and scoring runs is the sweet spot unless they are a prodigious talent, NSW just seems to think any u19 NSW player that plays for Aus u19's is a prodigious talent when they probably aren't quite ready.
Bingo! Nail meet head - Sydney Grade Cricket was and most probably still is the best community standard cricket comp in the world. To ignore it is pure idiocy - that’s why Stu Clark is back

Blues showing their ineptitude with the willow, with even the veterans failing. We have yet to win one of our past 14 matches, old time Blues would turn in their graves to read that. There needs to be some culling before the rot sets in and kills our season. Probably too soon to debut the best of our Junior Ashes boys, but lets not wait until they are old men. Perhaps one/two more seasons of Premier/Seconds apprenticeship.

Blues showing their ineptitude with the willow, with even the veterans failing. We have yet to win one of our past 14 matches, old time Blues would turn in their graves to read that. There needs to be some culling before the rot sets in and kills our season. Probably too soon to debut the best of our Junior Ashes boys, but lets not wait until they are old men. Perhaps one/two more seasons of Premier/Seconds apprenticeship.
If Grade cricket has declined to the extent that Vic Premier cricket has then why wait?

Staying the obvious there wish we’d play Holt least he can keep
I was gobsmacked he walked out at 4.

This the innings that Hughes buys himself another year at FC level despite doing nothing 90% of the year?

I was gobsmacked he walked out at 4.

This the innings that Hughes buys himself another year at FC level despite doing nothing 90% of the year?

Not a fan of Hughes in long form but there isn’t too many obvious alternatives. He is there to protest these young top order players. I would like to go after a solid opener maybe someone like Burns is attainable as he won’t get to open for QLD, I’d take a chance on Bryce Street maybe.

Not a fan of Hughes in long form but there isn’t too many obvious alternatives. He is there to protest these young top order players. I would like to go after a solid opener maybe someone like Burns is attainable as he won’t get to open for QLD, I’d take a chance on Bryce Street maybe.
Why would you chase Burns? He’s never going to play for Australia again and he only inhibits the development of someone who might. He’s not going to be a shepherd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back