State New South Wales Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

So had to search for this, maybe make it the permanent NSW thread corbies?

Anyway, why can't Daniel Solway crack a gig? Has made a mountain of runs in both Grade Cricket and Second XI cricket the past couple of years.

From the start of 17/18:

Second XI: 1106 runs at an average of 61.44, with 3 centuries and 2 fifties
Grade Cricket: 1592 runs at 51.35, 8 centuries, 4 fifties

Deserves a crack at the seniors surely?

Anyway, why can't Daniel Solway crack a gig? Has made a mountain of runs in both Grade Cricket and Second XI cricket the past couple of years.

From the start of 17/18:

Sure, I've renamed this thread to be all things to do with the greatest domestic cricket side of all time.

Sure, I've renamed this thread to be all things to do with the greatest domestic cricket side of all time.
It isn't about Yorkshire though?

From the start of 17/18:

Anyway to answer your question its basically because you really need to make bulk runs in NSW Premier Cricket in order to even be considered for the State set up if you aren't an underage star. Nick Larkin basically went 3 straight years averaging 100+ before he was given a shot. They've been picking Sangha and Jack Edwards on potential because the NSW state set up is more about grooming players to play for Australia. Then of the relatively older guys, blokes like Larkin, Bills, Bertus have been slightly better than him every year and take that older rookie spot in the NSW set up.

Anyway to answer your question its basically because you really need to make bulk runs in NSW Premier Cricket in order to even be considered for the State set up if you aren't an underage star. Nick Larkin basically went 3 straight years averaging 100+ before he was given a shot. They've been picking Sangha and Jack Edwards on potential because the NSW state set up is more about grooming players to play for Australia. Then of the relatively older guys, blokes like Larkin, Bills, Bertus have been slightly better than him every year and take that older rookie spot in the NSW set up.
I'm guessing Gilkes is in the same boat as Sangha/Edwards, and Baxter Holt will get similar opportunities? Anyway, Solway still only 24 so should get a crack at some point if Hughes gets injured or something as an opener.

I'm guessing Gilkes is in the same boat as Sangha/Edwards, and Baxter Holt will get similar opportunities? Anyway, Solway still only 24 so should get a crack at some point if Hughes gets injured or something as an opener.
Yeah Gilkes was appointed as a player of interest early on and Baxter Holt was the Aus u19 wicket keeper in the infamous Pope/Sangha u19s side. They're basically being pitted against eachother to take over from Nevill.

This is NSW though so you can guarantee that whoever loses + Solway will end up at Tasmania haha.

Yeah Gilkes was appointed as a player of interest early on and Baxter Holt was the Aus u19 wicket keeper in the infamous Pope/Sangha u19s side. They're basically being pitted against eachother to take over from Nevill.

This is NSW though so you can guarantee that whoever loses + Solway will end up at Tasmania haha.
Can't see a top order of something like:

Solway
Larkin
Patterson
Edwards
Sangha
Gilkes
Holt (+)

happening in a couple of years time?

It should be noted for many of the last few years, NSW have been very much going against the grain when it comes to picking youth/for Australia national team purposes. They've recently picked two spinners who have gone on to play international cricket for non-Australia teams (and it seems...unlikely that Nair will go onto play, as it stands). Ed Cowan was signed when it was clear he had no chance of returning. Bollinger got to retire on his own terms basically. Ryan Gibson got some games because he scored a ton for the Greg Chappell XI CA XI, which kinda forced NSW to pick him but they let him go pretty quickly. Rohrer was getting games for a long time. Meanwhile Nick Larkin has performed mostly horribly for NSW but is still being given a shot because of said grade and 2nd XI runs. (this goes into another NSW thing which is they really pick and stick, unless injury forces them to adjust. See: the season Abbott batted at 7 all season. This means it's hard for Solway to push his way in because they've already decided in pre-season what the batting line-up will mostly be).

Last season with Sangha and Edwards was the first time in a long time NSW had really made that push. And that was on the back of them basically saying they couldn't be bothered with Maddinson anymore, which was a bit absurd.

Last edited:
Solway 195* and 61* in the current 2nd's match. Sangha made 1 so that'll get him his spot in the side at the Gabba...

Last edited:
Squad: Peter Nevill (c, +), Sean Abbott, Nick Bertus, Harry Conway, Trent Copeland, Liam Hatcher, Moises Henriques, Daniel Hughes, Nick Larkin, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, David Warner

From that I think the XI will be:

Nick Larkin
David Warner
Daniel Hughes
Steve Smith
Moises Henriques
Nick Bertus
Peter Nevill (+)
Trent Copeland
Mitchell Starc
Sean Abbott
Harry Conway/Liam Hatcher

It is a tad surprising that they didn't add Nair into the squad as well, if the pitch is dry you don't want to be relying on Steve Smith.

Squad: Peter Nevill (c, +), Sean Abbott, Nick Bertus, Harry Conway, Trent Copeland, Liam Hatcher, Moises Henriques, Daniel Hughes, Nick Larkin, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, David Warner

From that I think the XI will be:

Nick Larkin
David Warner
Daniel Hughes
Steve Smith
Moises Henriques
Nick Bertus
Peter Nevill (+)
Trent Copeland
Mitchell Starc
Sean Abbott
Harry Conway/Liam Hatcher

It is a tad surprising that they didn't add Nair into the squad as well, if the pitch is dry you don't want to be relying on Steve Smith.

It's an October Gabba wicket. It'll be green as green can be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an October Gabba wicket. It'll be green as green can be.
I agree, but if the curators were smart they'd shave everything off the pitch. Or Queensland should ask them to do so.

Why is Sangha playing for NSW country right now when he played the NSW metro game last week? Greg West too? They should get allocated to one or the other IMO.

Why is Sangha playing for NSW country right now when he played the NSW metro game last week? Greg West too? They should get allocated to one or the other IMO.

Not the first and won't be the last time Sangha gets special treatment. Don't know why, hasn't shown to be anything special yet.

Not the first and won't be the last time Sangha gets special treatment. Don't know why, hasn't shown to be anything special yet.
The kid can play. He's still very young.

From the start of 17/18:

I've asked a few blokes back home about this guy in recent years and they are all mystified. He just eats up runs and bats time as well (something many young batsmen in Australia do not do). I haven't seen this guy bat (at least not that I recall), but I trust these guys judgement and just through weight of runs it doesn't make sense.

Corbies summed it up above - if you're not a NSW under 19's player you need to perform better than you otherwise would have to. I do agree in part with promoting talented youngsters through a bit quicker into the state set up but it does feel like it has swung too far. If you play under 19's and you get the golden tick as a teenager, you often don't even need to perform at grade level to get multiple shots for NSW, whereas those who don't get the tick of approval need 3 or 4 (sometimes more) seasons of very very strong performances just to get a look-in and will often be discarded completely after one substandard stint.

Another guy who looks like he has been shafted by NSW selectors is leg spinner Devlin Malone. **** me he has taken some wickets in first grade for Sydney Uni and Sutherland prior to that. I've seen him bowl briefly and he looks good, but he is small and I reckon selectors might worry how he holds up under the pressure of playing of four days back to back. Same as Solway above, there are a number of blokes back home who can't work out what more he has got to do just to get a chance.

Jason Sangha is a prime example of a youngster getting promoted through the ranks. He is super talented, and interestingly been made captain of Randwick-Petersham this season at just 20, but I hope it's got to the point where selectors say we've given him a shot, it hasn't worked so far, we want to see him go back to Randwick and just eat up runs. There's no doubt he has had a lot of pressure placed upon him. I think he'll come good, but I don't think just promoting him without the performances to match is going to be the right way forward for him.

To be honest, I'm not even sure NSW selectors take into consideration performances at first grade level anymore. If they do, it doesn't feel like it.

again, over the last few years it's really only Sangha and Edwards who match that. I'd estimate that this narrative fits NSW less than most other state sides over the last few years. to repeat myself, NSW have picked Will Somerville, a 30yo off-spinner, and Mason Crane, an English leg-spinner, over the last few years following strong performances in grade cricket, and they've gone onto play test cricket for New Zealand and England. Sangha and Edwards have been overlooked for the first squad of the season for Larkin and Bertus. And it's clearly not shield runs keeping Nick Larkin, a 29yo with a first class average lower than his age, in the squad. The people who have blocked Solway's path are Ed Cowan, Daniel Hughes & Nick Larkin. Solway is being over-looked for the same reasons grade players with strong records get over-looked in every state - the powers that be clearly have doubts over whether he has what it takes to step up. And while I hope he gets a chance when Warner and Smith go away, the kids have nothing to do with Solway not getting a shot. Lastly, NSW have been doing weird shit with their teams for almost as long as I've been paying attention - we went through the 2012-13 season with the opening combination of Scott Henry and David Dawson and we picked Jay Lention to keep in last season's ODers, it's just part and parcel of NSW, but the people who benefit are a wide range of players. Sometimes it's Junior Reps who benefit, and sometimes it's anything but that.

Since 2015/16, here are the batsmen to have played for NSW:

Smith
Warner
Patterson
Hughes
Maddinson
Cowan
Larkin
Rohrer
Carters
Gibson (NSW U19 AND GChappell XI rep who is very much at the back of the queue after only 3 games for NSW)
Edwards
Sangha

plus
wicket-keepers Nevill, Jay Lenton & Baxter Holt
all-rounders Henriques, Nair & Upal

So that's 5 batsmen with a test cap, two good state level players in Rohrer and Hughes, Carters who is a pretty unique case, and 3 kids. That's over 4 seasons. I reckon Greg Chappell was pulling his hair out over some of NSW antics over the last few seasons....

Last edited:
All fair points Phone and perhaps we aren't as bad as other states.

I would also put Arjun Nair into the mix of guys who have gotten a very good run on the back of underage performances. Arguably Sean Abbott for a time period as well, but he certainly came good last season - he's also performed well in grade cricket when he has played so no dramas with his promotion but it felt like it took a long while for the 18/19 season to happen (I know he's obviously he has to deal with the Phil Hughes accident, which is an extremely unique case).

We'll see how they handle Param Uppal. He has obviously had some big underage performances, but only middle of the road performances for Fairfield. Didn't do anything in the two shield matches he got last season.

With the talent level at NSW disposal, I still think we've probably under performed over the last 15 or so years, even taking into account we lose more players than other states to Australian selection.

Game shifted to Drummoyne

New South Wales have been forced to shift their home fixture against Tasmania out from the Sydney Cricket Ground due to problems with the pitch. The Blues were set to lock horns with Tasmania at the SCG, but the match will now be played at the Drummoyne Oval in the inner west area of Sydney.

The cricket association of New South Wales claims that the damage was sustained during the practice session of the Sydney Roosters ahead of the NRL grand final. Because of the damage, the pitch curators will not be able to prepare a good wicket for the clash between New South Wales and Tasmania, which is scheduled to begin from Friday.

From the start of 17/18:

Gets a crack and tons on debut.

2020-21 NSW Squad as per cricket.com.au article

NSW Blues squad: Sean Abbott, Harry Conway, Trent Copeland, Pat Cummins*, Ben Dwarshuis, Jack Edwards, Mickey Edwards, Matthew Gilkes, Ryan Hackney, Liam Hatcher, Josh Hazlewood*, Moises Henriques, Daniel Hughes, Nick Larkin, Nathan Lyon*, Nathan McAndrew, Peter Nevill, Kurtis Patterson, Daniel Sams, Jason Sangha, Steve Smith*, Daniel Solway, Mitchell Starc*, Chris Tremain, David Warner*, Adam Zampa*

*Cricket Australia contracted

Rookies: Oliver Davies, Ryan Hadley, Baxter Holt, Arjun Nair, Lachlan Hearne, Tanveer Sangha

Some handy players left off . . .

Spinner Steve O’Keefe (retired), batsmen Nick Bertus and Ryan Gibson, leg-spinner Daniel Fallins, fast bowlers Chad Sammut and Greg West and allrounder Param Uppal have all dropped off the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back