My first draft of my first draft

Remove this Banner Ad

cammo6556

Cancelled
10k Posts Baghdad Bombers - Sweet F.A. BeanCoiNFT Investor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Oct 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
1 - Swallow - GC
2 - Bennell - GC
3 - Day - GC
4 - Atley - WC
5 - Gorringe - GC
6 - Polec - Richmond
7 - Heppell - GC
8 - Pitt - Ess
9 - Gaff - GC
10 - Darling - Bris
11 - Harper - GC
12 - Smedts - MELB
13 - McCarthy - GC
14 - Smith - ADEL
15 - Watson - GC
16 - Lycett - PORT
17 - Parker - NORTH
18 - Cook - CARL
19 - Caddy - HAW
20 - Lamb - FREO
21 - Wallis - SYD
22 - Prestia - DOGS
23 - Conca - GEELONG
24 - Hallahan - SAINTS
25 - Cripps - PIES

This will no doubt change and has little thought put into it... will be revised in coming weeks. opinions welcome

Fair effort, just my opinion but dont think Brisbane will take darling, already have Brown and Fev, who i know are aging, but also Mitch Clark and Aaron Cornelius, i think they have more of i need through the midfield with the loss of Rischa and probably Brennan and ageing Power and Black.

Also pretty sure the dogs will take Wallis especially after his TAC cup Grandfinal

Essendon would probalby take Smith over Pitt as midfielders with an inside game is what they need and Melbourne would take Cook or Watson over Smedts so that they have a true FF option.

Fair effort, just my opinion but dont think Brisbane will take darling, already have Brown and Fev, who i know are aging, but also Mitch Clark and Aaron Cornelius, i think they have more of i need through the midfield with the loss of Rischa and probably Brennan and ageing Power and Black.

Also pretty sure the dogs will take Wallis especially after his TAC cup Grandfinal

fair points... i dont think clark is a full time forward, and im really trying to be one step ahead of the whole fev situation... im certainly not positive they will go with a forward...

My bad, completely forgot about the whole F/S thing...

Essendon would probalby take Smith over Pitt as midfielders with an inside game is what they need and Melbourne would take Cook or Watson over Smedts so that they have a true FF option.
Possibly re smith/pitt...

RE the dees pick, i get the feeling they still think massively of jack watts. they also have jurrah and petterd...

Tom Lynch would be pretty stiff to miss out on getting picked up in the 1st round. Had an outstanding 2nd half to the season and after Day is probably the next KPF prospect.

Looks likely to go at 5/6.

Would also be pretty happy if you edited this and gave him to the Pies ;)

Possibly re smith/pitt...

RE the dees pick, i get the feeling they still think massively of jack watts. they also have jurrah and petterd...
I meant to say meant Lynch, not Watson ,as Watson is a FB.

I get the feeling that Watts will play a more Nick Reiwoldt type role, higher up the ground than a traditional full forward. Jurrah and Pettard are more third talls than FF's. Another KPF would complete what is a potentially awesome list. .

I dont really see essendon taking pitt over gaff, smith or caddy. We really need tough inside mids right away or a classy ball user like gaff.

Also why would wallis go to sydney instead of the dogs? They will defs f/s wallis and libba.

I dont really see essendon taking pitt over gaff, smith or caddy. We really need tough inside mids right away or a classy ball user like gaff.

If Essendon want a classy ball user look no further than Pitt. I took the idea from Foj in the phantom draft, but I really like the selection and he could be a late riser. Glad the trend has caught on and into this draft also.

I don't see why Freo would take Lamb when they have Ballantyne, Mayne and Walters all playing good footy for them.

I'd rather Heppell or Polec over Atley at this stage, but that could change closer to the draft I guess.

Surprised Green hasn't made more people's first round drafts.

Lycett sliding all the way to 16 would be a surprise.

Then again, who really needs a ruckman?
  • GC have a couple already listed and you've given them Gorringe as well.
  • West Coast have Cox & NicNat - and wouldn't want to waste pick 4 on a ruck.
  • Richmond DO need one - but they have other needs as well, which may be judged more pressing.
  • Essendon have no need, with Hille & Ryder well established (plus Bellchambers in the wings)
  • Brisbane have Leuenberger and Clark, no problem there.
  • Melbourne... have Jamar and ??? I'm thinking they may well jump at the chance to grab a quality young ruck at pick #12.
  • Adelaide will have their problems sorted if/when they land Jacobs
  • Port would grab him with joy, if he's still there at #16.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lycett sliding all the way to 16 would be a surprise.

Then again, who really needs a ruckman?
  • GC have a couple already listed and you've given them Gorringe as well.
  • West Coast have Cox & NicNat - and wouldn't want to waste pick 4 on a ruck.
  • Richmond DO need one - but they have other needs as well, which may be judged more pressing.
  • Essendon have no need, with Hille & Ryder well established (plus Bellchambers in the wings)
  • Brisbane have Leuenberger and Clark, no problem there.
  • Melbourne... have Jamar and ??? I'm thinking they may well jump at the chance to grab a quality young ruck at pick #12.
  • Adelaide will have their problems sorted if/when they land Jacobs
  • Port would grab him with joy, if he's still there at #16.
For mine Lycett behind Darling is going to be the second most interesting player in the draft. From what i understand is a good tap ruckman but is a little lost around the ground. If true this scares me as he has failed first round ruck selection written all over him.

From a Melbourne perspective i'm looking for Gorringe, Lynch, Darling then best availible.

Good effort mate - would love some reasons or descriptions though. :thumbsu:

Did you leave Tom Lynch out deliberately? Id be surprised if he makes it to Melbournes pick 12 - let alone outside the top 25.

Im sure youre right and the Dees rate Watts, but they'de definately want another pack crashing body to keep inside the forward 50 for Jurrah and Pettered to work around. I have a feeling the good ones will be gone and we'll take best mid/utility available though.

[*]Richmond DO need one - but they have other needs as well, which may be judged more pressing.

Yes and no.

Our ruck stocks are too young, so picking up a new kid isn't the 'cure' to our ruck problems. We have Graham being the 'old man' at 23, which is still young in ruck terms. We got Vickery at #8 2 years back and he's shown glipses, which is all you can really expect from a guy who turned 20 during the season.

That said, we only have 3 ruckmen, so I'd expect us to pick up 1 or 2 more this year...If we felt the need for to use high picks though, it would be to trade for a mature body.

Our Rucks are fine.

All are developing, We might pick up Gorringe or Lycett if at value for the picks we have.
They are other options that can come our way. In a few years Clarke may want to leave Brisbane or Sandy's brother pops up.

Vickery and Graham are progressing all is good. We have a few options open, the future is bright!!!:)

not necessarily. They targetted needs with hurley as a succession plan was in place for when fletcher retires. but equally, needs could have seen us take Rich.

last year, we wanted Melksham leading into the draft. we rated him as the best of those likely to be available. Moore was our second choice iirc.

generally, across the last decade, we've tended to focus on KP's early. That was always sheeds mantra.

we may well decide to target mids again. but i don't think we'll target "inside" mids over "outside" mids. i think we'll just take best available. whoever that is.

Good effort mate - would love some reasons or descriptions though. :thumbsu:

Did you leave Tom Lynch out deliberately? Id be surprised if he makes it to Melbournes pick 12 - let alone outside the top 25.

Im sure youre right and the Dees rate Watts, but they'de definately want another pack crashing body to keep inside the forward 50 for Jurrah and Pettered to work around. I have a feeling the good ones will be gone and we'll take best mid/utility available though.
We don't need another midfield/utitlity type player,we have enough of them if not to many how they are going to fit Scully,Trengove,Gysberts,Tapscott,Blease,McKenzie into the side along with established players like Moloney,Sylvia,Davey,Jones & Bruce if both of the latter two stay is anyones guess!
We also drafted two young ruckman in last years draft (Gawn & Fitzpatrick) so don't see the need for another one,we must draft the best available KP forward who is there at pick 12!

We don't need another midfield/utitlity type player,we have enough of them if not to many how they are going to fit Scully,Trengove,Gysberts,Tapscott,Blease,McKenzie into the side along with established players like Moloney,Sylvia,Davey,Jones & Bruce if both of the latter two stay is anyones guess!
We also drafted two young ruckman in last years draft (Gawn & Fitzpatrick) so don't see the need for another one,we must draft the best available KP forward who is there at pick 12!

Yes I agree - thats what I said. We would love a big key forward.

But if the good ones are all gone, Barry Prendergast will go best available for sure. Even if its another mid.

Port will go for a mature Ruckmen and keep developing the young ones that we have. Primus said he backs the ones that we have right now. We really need another mid-fielder that will support some of the injury prone but talented ones we have right now. I think you will find that the pressing need is in that area before another tall.

My information has Billie Smedts heading to Port Adelaide...Extremely good player who has had a couple of minor injuries that stopped him being rated higher than he is. Port have shown very strong interest in this clean exciting player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back