Monash - or ScoMo’s a campaigner

Remove this Banner Ad

Possibly an extended short break / longer weekend.

Possibly? So you don't know? Where did you hear about this break sometime in "March/April"?

Regardless, your faux outrage about needing a holiday seems misplaced.

So I point out the hypocrisy of the fact that despite being primarily a state responsibility no one was up in arms about state premiers and minsters going on holiday and that the left, who are usually the champions of 'work/life balance' paradoxically complain bitterly about Morrison having a short break (the second very short break since he became PM) and you equate all that that with 'faux outrage. No outrage here mate. Just laughter.

They guy chose to piss off at a time of national crisis ...

Nice use of emotive language to further your cause there. How about this description instead? He went on a holiday, booked long ago and promised to his daughters while assured the relevant state authorities had everything under control. What would you rather a PM that feels he can delegate and trust others to fulfill their role or a Kevin Rudd type who thinks he's indispensable and feels he has to control everything? I know which I'd prefer.

... after criticising someone for having dinner during a crisis.

From memory, and correct me if I'm wrong, Morrison was asked about what he thought of Nixon going to dinner at the height of a situation that resulted in hundreds of deaths. FFS she was at the time the head of the Victorian police one of the primary coordinating authorities responding to the crisis. Had anyone died when Morrison left on 17/12?

Possibly? So you don't know? Where did you hear about this break sometime in "March/April"?

So I point out the hypocrisy of the fact that despite being primarily a state responsibility no one was up in arms about state premiers and minsters going on holiday and that the left, who are usually the champions of 'work/life balance' paradoxically complain bitterly about Morrison having a short break (the second very short break since he became PM) and you equate all that that with 'faux outrage. No outrage here mate. Just laughter.

Nice use of emotive language to further your cause there. How about this description instead? He went on a holiday, booked long ago and promised to his daughters while assured the relevant state authorities had everything under control. What would you rather a PM that feels he can delegate and trust others to fulfill their role or a Kevin Rudd type who thinks he's indispensable and feels he has to control everything? I know which I'd prefer.

From memory, and correct me if I'm wrong, Morrison was asked about what he thought of Nixon going to dinner at the height of a situation that resulted in hundreds of deaths. FFS she was at the time the head of the Victorian police one of the primary coordinating authorities responding to the crisis. Had anyone died when Morrison left on 17/12?
"No faux outrage", yes... you sound very relaxed and jovial.

No political leader should be on holiday during a time of national/state emergency.
ScoMo pissed off after repeated warnings that this season would be a savage one, his office wouldn't even confirm when he was gone or for how long, he refused to meet with experts, refused to fund water-bombers, and had to be dragged kicking and screaming to pay the volunteer fireys after initially refusing to do so.
The knots his defenders are tying themselves into are amazing to watch. As smooth as a forced handshake.

No political leader should be on holiday during a time of national/state emergency.
ScoMo pissed off after repeated warnings that this season would be a savage one, his office wouldn't even confirm when he was gone or for how long, he refused to meet with experts, refused to fund water-bombers, and had to be dragged kicking and screaming to pay the volunteer fireys after initially refusing to do so.
The knots his defenders are tying themselves into are amazing to watch. As smooth as a forced handshake.

I keep hearing from the Boomers that’s a State issue but the Feds have reneged on a 2003 deal to match funding on water bombers.

Can someone explain why we are leasing water bombing aircraft but buying sub optimal submarines are fighter jets?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I keep hearing from the Boomers that’s a State issue but the Feds have reneged on a 2003 deal to match funding on water bombers.

Can someone explain why we are leasing water bombing aircraft but buying sub optimal submarines are fighter jets?
The sad part is a national water bomber fleet should be a federal issue. Labor took it to the last election and rural fireys are certainly pro-waterbombing fleet. The Feds have allocated $11m for it (belatedly) which is at least a step in the right direction.

rolleyes.gif

Mate you're the one using emotive language so if anyone sounds outraged it's you.

... had to be dragged kicking and screaming to pay the volunteer fireys after initially refusing to do so.

How many hundreds of people died in the Black Saturday fires? Why didn't Rudd offer to pay the volunteers then?

View attachment 802291

Mate you're the one using emotive language so if anyone sounds outraged it's you.

How many hundreds of people died in the Black Saturday fires? Why didn't Rudd offer to pay the volunteers then?
Look up "Whataboutism" (not that Black saturday was a prolonged, multi-week wide ranging effort that absorbed pre-existing volunteer leave arrangements).

Once again, Greta is correct on climate.

Look up "Whataboutism" (not that Black saturday was a prolonged, multi-week wide ranging effort that absorbed pre-existing volunteer leave arrangements).

What are you talking about? The first fire flared up in Gippsland on the 28th of January. The firefighting efforts didn't cease until the 6th of March. Yes most of the deaths occured on Saturday the 7th of Feb but it's a widely held misconception that the fires only burned for a week or so.

Once again, Greta is correct on climate.

What about? That we've stolen her childhood, offset with the small consolation that she's now a multi-millionaire?

What are you talking about? The first fire flared up in Gippsland on the 28th of January. The firefighting efforts didn't cease until the 6th of March. Yes most of the deaths occured on Saturday the 7th of Feb but it's a widely held misconception that the fires only burned for a week or so.

What about? That we've stolen her childhood, offset with the small consolation that she's now a multi-millionaire?
Black saturday - the major front was over in a couple of days, hence the Royal Commission was announced on 13 February. You may be confusing the whole season with the event.

Greta is being proven correct on climate change.
Garnaut / CSIRO were also correct:
1578284497971.png

I guess happy clappy sky pilots like ScoMo can only ignore science for so long.

Black saturday - the major front was over in a couple of days, hence the Royal Commission was announced on 13 February. You may be confusing the whole season with the event.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Saturday_bushfires

Chronology

Wednesday, 28 January 2009
Delburn fire commenced in Central Gippsland; arson suspected.

Wednesday, 4 February
Bunyip State Park blaze commenced

Saturday, 7 February (Black Saturday)
05:00 am – Bunyip State Park fire jumped containment lines; no other major fire activity.
Late morning – Many fires sprang up as temperatures rose and wind speeds increased.
11:50 am – Power lines fell in high winds igniting the Kilmore East fire (Kinglake/Whittlesea area). The fire was fanned by 125 km/h (78 mph) winds, entered a pine plantation, grew in intensity, and rapidly headed southeast through the Wandong area.
12:30 pm – Horsham fire commenced.[22]12:30 pm – ABC Local Radio abandoned regular programming to cover the fire situation.
12:45 pm – Hume Freeway was closed after fire crews failed to contain Kilmore East fire.
Early afternoon – ABC Local Radio received calls from residents of affected areas supplying immediate up-to-date information on fire activity.
2:55 pm – Murrindindi Mill fire (Marysville area) first spotted from Mt Despair fire tower.
4:20 pm – Kilmore East fire front arrived at Strathewen.
4:20 pm – Murrindindi Mill fire impacted Narbethong.
Mid-afternoon – smoke from Kilmore East firestorm prevented planes from mapping the fire edge.
4:30 pm – number of individual fires across the state increased into the hundreds.
4:30 pm – fire commenced at Eaglehawk, near Bendigo.
4:45 pm – Kilmore East fire front arrived at Kinglake.
5:00 pm – wind direction changed from northwesterly to southwesterly in Melbourne (see Fawkner Beacon Wind chart for 7 February 2009).
5:30 pm – wind change arrived at Kilmore East and Murrindindi Mill (Kinglake/Marysville) fire fronts.
5:45 pm – Kilmore East fire front arrived in Flowerdale.
6:00 pm – Beechworth fire commenced.
6:00 pm – Kilmore East fire smoke plume and pyrocumulus cloud reached 15 km (9.3 mi) high.
6:45 pm – Murrindindi Mill fire front arrived at Marysville.
8:30 pm – Victorian Health Emergency Co-ordination Centre notified Melbourne hospitals to prepare for burn victims.
8:57 pm – CFA chief officer first notified that casualties had been confirmed.
10:00 pm – Victoria Police announced an initial estimate of 14 fatalities.

Sunday, 8 February
Kilmore East and Murrindindi Mill fires merged to form the Kinglake fire complex.
Wilsons Promontory fire ignited by lightning.
Victoria Police increased estimate to 25 fatalities.

Tuesday, 10 February
Spot fires from Kinglake complex fires merged to form the Maroondah/Yarra complex.

Tuesday, 17 February

Six fires still burned out of control, with another nineteen contained.
  • Containment lines surrounded 85 per cent of the Kinglake–Murrindindi complex.
  • The Kilmore East – Murrindindi complex south fire burned in Melbourne's O'Shannassy and Armstrong Creek water catchments.
  • Bunyip and Beechworth fires almost contained.
Thursday, 19 February
Victoria Police increased estimate to 208 fatalities.

Monday, 23 February
Temperatures in the mid-30 degrees Celsius (mid-90 degrees Fahrenheit), northerly winds, and a cool change precipitated a flare-up of many of the fires, and ignited several new fires.
  • The most significant new fires were in the southern Dandenong Ranges near Upwey, south of Daylesford (near Hogans Lane, Musk, Victoria), and in the Otway Ranges.
  • Weather conditions directed previously burning fires in the Yarra Ranges towards settlements in the upper Yarra Valley, but the fires were of a low intensity and were quickly contained.
Friday, 27 February
  • Bunyip fire still burnt within control lines in the Bunyip State Park and State Forest areas.
  • The Kilmore East – Murrindindi complex north fire burned within containment lines on the southeastern flank.
  • The Kilmore East – Murrindindi complex south fire activity continued in areas close to several towns in the Yarra Valley near both Yarra Glen and Warburton.
  • The Wilsons Promontory Cathedral fire had burnt 24,150 ha (59,700 acres) and was still burning.
  • The French Island fire slowly burnt in uninhabited grass and scrub bushland on the northeast end of the island

Tuesday, 3 March 2009
Extreme bushfire conditions predicted for Monday night and early Tuesday morning, involving very strong northerlies, with a change forecast to arrive by Tuesday morning. Three million SMS messages warning of extreme fire danger conditions were sent by the mobile phone companies, on behalf of Victoria Police, to Victorians and Tasmanians with mobile phones as a technology trial.

Wednesday, 4 March
  • Cooler conditions and rain from 4–6 March enabled firefighters to control and contain several fires, with the Kilmore East – Murrindindi complex south fire being completely contained.
  • Predictions for favourable weather signalled the easing of the threat to settlements from the major fires that had been burning since 7 February.
Mid-March
Favourable conditions aided containment efforts and extinguished many of the fires.

Garnaut / CSIRO were also correct:

How about we let the volunteer firefighters speak for themselves?

..... it wasn’t climate change that killed almost 200 people in the Black Saturday fires ten years ago.

The real culprit is green ideology which opposes the necessary hazard reduction of fuel loads in national parks and which prevents landholders from clearing vegetation around their homes.

Jinks-Creek-Winery-was-destroyed-Stuart-McEvoy.jpg

Jinks Creek Winery was destroyed after a bushfire engulfed the Bunyip state forest. Picture: Stuart McEvoy / The Australian

The ongoing poor management of national parks and state forests in Victoria and green obstruction of fire mitigation strategies has led to dangerously high fuel loads over the past decade.

That means that when fires do inevitably break out they are so intense that they are devilishly difficult for firefighters to contain. As a federal parliamentary inquiry heard in 2003, if you quadruple the ground fuel, you get a 13-fold increase in the heat generated by a fire.

Locals know the truth. Andrew Clarke, owner of Jinks Creek Winery, which has been destroyed by a fire which raged out of the Bunyip State Forest, “begged” for fuel reduction burns to protect his property.

“I’ve been begging them [Forest Fire Management Victoria] for 20 years to burn off the state forest at the back of our place and still to this day it hasn’t happened,” he told the ABC’s Country Hour.

Clarke said a planned burn-off was called off because of concerns about nesting birds.

So how did that work out for the birds?

Just three weeks ago, Victoria’s former chief fire officer Ewan Waller warned that state forest fuel loads were reaching deadly, Black Saturday levels. No one paid any attention.

But you can bet Premier Daniel Andrews will hide behind the climate change furphy.

Parroting green lies suits politicians because then they can avoid blame for their own culpability.

The Black Saturday Bushfire Royal Commission criticised the Victorian government for its failure to reduce fuel loads in state forests. It recommended more than doubling the amount of hazard reduction burns.

Instead, in the last three years, alone, the Andrews government has slashed the amount of public land being hazard reduced by almost two thirds.

It’s a crime.

From the volunteer firefighters organisation website.
https://volunteerfirefighters.org.au/green-ideology-not-climate-change-makes-bushfires-worse

Greta is being proven correct on climate change.
Greta is an annoying little girl who is short on solutions. I'd prefer to hear those, rather than a long, whiny rant from a teenager that alienates more people than it brings together.

She will be forgotten about in 20 years time when the next puppet child (yes, she is a puppet) makes a speech about how bad people are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 802189

Surely you're not serious.
I am serious and don’t call me Shirley.

Do you know what ironic means? Because the way in which you used it would suggest you don’t.

Or maybe you were ironically using the word ironic.

I know you won't believe me when I say it but I knew you would say that. :thumbsu:

Do you know what ironic means? Because the way in which you used it would suggest you don’t.

It's pretty simple really. Maybe you should read the post again. The left champion the idea and the importance of work/life balance. When the PM takes a short holiday to achieve said work/life balance they are the first to complain ... long and hard. That's rich irony my friend.

Let this light weight choke on his own repetition and get over to the Coal thread D/H

Don't forget ScoMo repeatedly and vehemently denied any link between bushfires and global warming until recently, when I guess whatever conservative focus group he relies on informed he no longer had no choice.

I don't even blame ScoMo, why blame a conservative mediocrity for behaving in a manner predictable to his nature? If some lunatic jumps the fence at the zoo, you don't blame the lions for tearing him apart when that's what nature programmed them to do.

Blame rests with the electorate who voted him in when Labor was offering a far more progressive climate policy. Unfortunately the boomers & old farts who'll be dead before the worst of climate change arrives weren't willing to give up their precious negative gearing & franking credits so we're stuck with a party that unofficially denies climate change only because it'd be electoral suicide to deny it officially. If the Nationals had any ****ing sense they'd kick up a stink because their electorates are the ones that'll be affected by temperature rises most but they're even more conservative and resistant to new ideas than the Libs.

As usual it'll take a Labor government to address the issue of carbon emissions which'll probably send the country broke, then the conservatives will merrily use that to trumpet their "better economic managers" schtick. Easy to manage an economy when you refuse to fund anything except your big business mates.

View attachment 802625

Obviously a bit dim. I wasn't promoting suicide. I was suggesting you were getting a bit too upset for you own good princess.
Lol .. promoting your suicide with images of young ladies pointing handguns to their heads .. you are a **** wit

I know you won't believe me when I say it but I knew you would say that. :thumbsu:

It's pretty simple really. Maybe you should read the post again. The left champion the idea and the importance of work/life balance. When the PM takes a short holiday to achieve said work/life balance they are the first to complain ... long and hard. That's rich irony my friend.
But who else is going to criticise a right wing PM if not the left?

He checked out at the beginning of the worst natural disaster in Australia's history. Work life balance be damned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back