MLB Season 2006 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

JLC said:
Heads will roll. Having the best record in baseball and being one up in the series and then losing 3-1 is not good enough.

A-Rod flopped

Giambi flopped

Sheffield was a joke at first base.

Even if we had the best pitchers the batters let us down big time (except for Jeter).

Worst thing is Detroit will be eliminated next round.

jlc

Can't argue with any of that

JLC said:
Heads will roll. Having the best record in baseball and being one up in the series and then losing 3-1 is not good enough.

A-Rod flopped

Giambi flopped

Sheffield was a joke at first base.

Even if we had the best pitchers the batters let us down big time (except for Jeter).

Worst thing is Detroit will be eliminated next round.

jlc

Gutted is about the only word i can use as i watched it this morning. More and more gutted. By the 8th i was just numb waiting for it to end.

Just on your above...

To use the same word for A Rod and Giambi is a touch harsh. Giambi was playing with a ****ed wrist and his stats actually look good compared to A Rods. They were both poor, but i think i'll give Giambi at least some benefit of the doubt. He wasn't in A Rod's league.

Jeter is the new Mr October. Hit over .500 for the series.

Unfortunately the pitching arrives to games in a white and blue bus (hope that the white and blue bus is the same everwhere...)

Godzilla looked good at stages even though he's played little ball this season.

Yesterday we had a guy on base every innings except one. I don't think the batting let us down all that much.

I was still holding hope yesterday until they reminded me who was starting... At that point i turned to my mate and said we were ****ed. I hope we find some pitching.

Nice of Randy to **** us over yet again. Three times now. Twice as one of our own.

Gutted.

DaSawx said:
Looks like old Joe maybe gone according to SportsCentre, for Lou Pinella

I got the impression on the broadcast that they knew something I didn't...

I love Torre, as a Yankee fan how could you not given his record, but i'd have no complains about Sweet Lou coming home...

Apparently Torre was crying (or close to it). I think that was a fair indication he would not be there next season.

Well the past two days when i have woken up the game has basically been over.....lol

I thought for sure in todays game the Yankees would have hit back but in reality they didnt really fire a shot. Like the mistake Sheffield made on first base when Jeter was going for a double play pretty much summed it up. I just cannot believe that many talented hitters can flop at the same time (Jeter aside) ?

I havnt watched enough games this season (have been overseas) to know what our pitching stocks are like. However i would think Johnson would be under the pump given thats the second season he has flopped in the post season (although last season one of the games he pitched in it rained a bit) not to mention his back problems and his age.

What do people think of Mussina ?

jlc

Stealth bomber said:
As much as I would love to see my beloved Cardinals make it, I think they have their work cut out for them.

I don't know, while the Mets batting is awesome...their pitching is a little bit suspect with injuries to 2 starting pitchers, so it could be interesting.

Torre is staying which i am happy about.

That being the case i would expect changes to the roster.

jlc

Here's the current news story- RIP, Cory...

Yankee Cory Lidle on NYC plane; 2 killed By COLLEEN LONG, Associated Press Writer
19 minutes ago

NEW YORK - A small plane with New York Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle aboard crashed into a high-rise condominium tower Wednesday on the Upper East Side, killing at least two people and raining flaming debris on the sidewalks below, authorities said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The New York City medical examiner's office now says two people have died in the plane crash, not four as the office had previously reported.

There was no immediate confirmation Lidle was among the dead, although a federal law enforcement official said Lidle's passport was found on the street beneath the crash site.

A law enforcement official in Washington, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Lidle was on the plane. And Federal Aviation Administration records showed the single-engine plane was registered to the athlete.

There was no word yet on injuries linked to the crash on an overcast October afternoon, which sent thick black smoke soaring above the city skyline and flames shooting out of apartments above the tony neighborhood.

On Sunday, the day after the Yankees were eliminated from the playoffs, Lidle cleaned out his locker at Yankee Stadium and talked about his interest in flying. He explained to reporters the process of getting a pilot's license, and said he intended to fly back to California in several days and planned to make a few stops.

Lidle, 34, a nine-year major league veteran, came to the Yankees from the Philadelphia Phillies in a late-season trade. The journeyman pitched for seven teams during a career in compiling an 82-78 lifetime record.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I posted in another thread, I attended the match were Cory debuted for the Yankees against the Blue Jays. He opened and pitched very well. It is hard to believe what has happened. My condolences to his family, along with the other victims..........

I woke to the news that a plane had crashed in Manhattan, went to turn on the news and they were reporting it was Lidle flying.

Tragic accident. Very sad.

It's nuts. The last week has given me:

- The Yankees losing
- Torre stories in the papers
- Torre coming out saying Georgie Boy wants him to stay
- Lidle killed

Puts it all into some perspective doesn't it.

An interesting article on Lidle and flying from last february- the writer is a local beat writer for the Phillies...small, suburban paper...

Two wings and a prayer for baseball writer

CLEARWATER, Fla. - With four sudden flicks of the wrist, the pilot jerked the yoke away, then in, to the right and to the left - all in a second or two.

Our small, single-engine plane made sudden turns - a climb straight to the sky, then a nose dive toward the blue water, 90-degree turns to the right and left.

"Whoooooa!" I called out, looking for something to brace myself. The only thing available was the yoke, which serves as a pilot's steering wheel, and I wasn't touching that.

Not yet.

Phillies pitcher Cory Lidle, a licensed pilot for a week, looked my way and flashed a big smile. I smiled back, pretending that this stunt didn't make me a little queasy.

We were 1,000 feet into the blue sky on a gorgeous late afternoon in sunny Florida, alone up over the Gulf of Mexico and looking in at the beach condos.

This 50-minute joyride from St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport was about half over, and Lidle, the pilot, was about to hand over controls to the only passenger, the guy sitting just to his right in the co-pilot's seat, someone who'd never been in a small plane in his life.

The noise coming from this Cessna 172 was deafening, but I was equipped with a headset, so I heard when Lidle looked my way and said, "Do what you want."

He was kidding, of course, but I was able to pretend to be a pilot for a moment just by finally touching the yoke.

What a rush.

What an adventure.

Then, in a matter of seconds, I took my hands off the yoke and put my life back in the hands of Lidle, who began working toward his pilot's license just last October.

Earlier this month, the 32-year-old Californian completed his 40 hours of practice time and became the second Phillies player ever to become a pilot, joining Shane Rawley, who pitched for the team from 1984-88.

This whole crazy idea was born last week, on the first day of spring training, after Lidle mentioned that he'd just become a pilot. When I mentioned how surprised I was that his wife and 5-year-old boy had the guts to go in the air with him, Lidle went into a short lecture on how safe flying is.

The next day, I told Lidle that I wouldn't be afraid to go up with him.

I was joking, but my cell phone rang a day later.

"I rented a plane," Lidle said. "Meet me at the airport at 5:30."

I definitely thought about chickening out. It's one thing to fly in a small plane, another to do it with an inexperienced pilot.

Hearing Lidle talk to mission control, you wouldn't believe he was in the air with 70 career victories and 55 flying hours. He had all the plane lingo down, none of which I understood, other than the signoff: "Roger."

When we had to wait a few minutes to take off, not getting clearance until President Bush's visit to Tampa was over.

"I hope **** Cheney doesn't shoot us down," I joked.

Our plane, N272L, was nothing to brag about. Parked next to newer and jazzier ones, ours was an old single engine with an odometer showing 2,169 hours of flight time.

Before starting the engine, Lidle hooked his fancy GPS system to the yoke. That's when an airport worker appeared with a screwdriver in hand. The man climbed in through the passenger door and began working on a gauge.

"You might not be able to read this due to the reflection from the sun," the man told Lidle. "We ordered replacement parts, but they didn't come in."

Uh-oh. Thoughts of Thurman Munson and Roberto Clemente, baseball stars who lost their lives on planes, popped into my head. But I was determined to go through with this, live or die.

"It's totally safe," Lidle said, reassuring me. "You'll get an engine quit in a 5-year-old Mercedes more than you'll get this engine to quit. People don't understand it. And if it quits, we'd have plenty of time to glide to where I can land somewhere."

Eventually, we hopped in. Behind us were two empty seats. Lidle invited teammates, but none accepted.

Lidle turned the key, the propellers whipped into action and he began steering the rudders with his feet, taking us on a short bumpy ride to the runway. We were third in line, behind a small jet and another puddle jumper.

When it was our turn, we were in the air in no time, in maybe two or three seconds.

Immediately, we climbed over a lake that rests at the edge of the runway and then up over Clearwater.

"This is way safer than people realize," I said as Lidle guided us through the cloudless skies.

We flew past the Phillies' spring ballpark, Bright House Networks Field, toward to the beach and over the water, and then further south to get a bird's-eye view of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. There was no turbulence, nothing but peaceful cruising.

I snapped pictures of the breathtaking views the whole way, once extending my arm to get a shot of Lidle and myself. It felt like a monorail ride at Disney World.

Time flew by. Thirty-five minutes in, Lidle said we had to start heading back. He programmed his GPS system to locate the airport, and one soft turn later we were a straight shot from the airport, 12.5 miles away.

A few minutes later, we approached the runaway. Lidle, looking like a seasoned pro, guided us in, making a perfect soft landing.

It was time to pay. This is going to cost a fortune, I thought. I was wrong. The bill for 50 minutes of fly time and headsets, after taxes, was just $72.

What a bargain.

And I lived to tell.

February 23, 2006 5:22 AM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back