Mega Thread MLB season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

How is it Braves batters can constantly hit in regular season year after year but choke in playoffs? Playing Phillies in Philadelphia last playoffs they scored 3 runs in 2 games, yet first 2 games of this season 20 runs.....other than the pitching being different why are the batters such chokers?

Same thing happens to the Dodgers.

Kershaw and the pitching gets the blame but the hitters have always gone cold.

Mookie Betts starting the season on fire, hopefully he doesn't burn out by the time it matters.

That doesn't explain why it is happening though? How can it happen that all batters choke at the same time?
The Braves didn’t really rest any of their starters last season so they may have been a little fatigued coming into the playoffs, but then they had a first round bye and didn’t play for 6/7 days. The year they won the World Series (2021) they were playing every second day and got into a routine and remained hot for the whole finals series, but the last two seasons they have had the break and come out colder the an Arctic winter both seasons.

Last edited:
Braves bats are cooking right now, long may it continue.
I wouldn’t say Acuna has set the season alight yet, although he hasn’t been too bad, and a couple of "experts" have said that Riley and Olsen have been a little slow out the blocks, but Albies, Arcia and Harris have looked very good.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beat Arizona tonight in (fake) extra innings. And then saw a stat that it was the first Cubs regular season extra innings win since 1992.
Surely that can't be right. It seems unbelievable that they haven't won one in more than 30 years. I'd imagine they play on average about half a dozen extra innings games every year.

Surely that can't be right. It seems unbelievable that they haven't won one in more than 30 years. I'd imagine they play on average about half a dozen extra innings games every year.

It’s just what I read, but not sure of the accuracy of it. It does seem a bit unbelievable tbf.

Is it just me or do the Braves still look a little disjointed offensively this season?

Acuna, Olsen and Riley have had a few good moments, but haven't reached the heights of last season, the home runs aren't coming as freely as last season, they are currently on target for around 190-200 homers this season compared to over 300 last season, yet they are finding other avenue's to score and if it wasn't for the Bear's performances and some excellent pitching from the ballpen they could be 8-9 or 9-8 instead of 12-5 over the first 2 or 3 weeks.

That said, they are 12-5 (after Cleveland's loss today, it's the best record in the MLB) and they are the highest scoring team with the best average (.294) and OPS (.842) in the MLB, but they still feel a little disjointed to me.

Last edited:
This is amusing. Oakland's Esteury Ruiz was hit by a pitch in the top of the first by the Yankees' Carlos Rodon. Ruiz checked his swing, but the first base umpire ruled that he had held up in time, so he was awarded first base. Yankees' manager Aaron Boone queried the call from the umpire and the umpire completely overreacted, telling Boone that if he said anything more he'd be ejected. A few seconds later, the umpire thought he heard Boone say something to him, so he ejected Boone. Turned out it was a fan behind the dugout chirping at the umpire.

Imagine facing 103mph fastballs. The Yankees were blown away by A's closer RHP Mason Miller this morning as he recorded three strikeouts to retire Volpe, Soto and Judge in order to save a 2-0 win for the A's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back