Coach Michael Barlow - Head of Development. Welcome to North!

Remove this Banner Ad

A fantastic get.
Here’s a yarn from a years ago, comes across as a ripper! Well worth a read if you get a spare few minutes!

That’s one hell of a yarn, fantastic read, if this family decided to write a book, it would be a best seller. I didn’t know half of what he’d been through to achieve what he has. I think we’ve got a ripper added to our off field team.

Barlow said his decision to move back into the AFL system to steer North Melbourne's development program came only recently and was inspired by an informal coffee catch-up with Kangaroos coach Alastair Clarkson.

Barlow believes his "full pie of experiences" playing career – he was a mature-age draftee, Brownlow Medal smokey, copped an infamous broken leg, lost a Grand Final and was delisted from both Fremantle and Gold Coast – leaves him perfectly prepared for North's development role.

"I feel like I can speak to most players and empathise with whatever situation it is – whether they're going really well, whether they're going poorly, whether they've got some off-field stuff going on, whether they're injured, whether they've got a bit of a career mortality, that's really important to me," he said.

North Melbourne's new head of development Michael Barlow has spoken about why the role at Arden Street was an ideal fit for him.

Barlow has spent the past three years at the Werribee Tigers' helm in the VFL and recorded a 2023 Grand Final berth while winning the competition's Coach of the Year Award. But a return to AFL clubland beckoned for the former Fremantle and Gold Coast Suns midfielder.

Set to overlook the advancement of the Kangaroos' young talent for the season ahead, the 35-year-old said being able to operate his own scheme is what appealed to him the most.

I've loved the last three years managing my own program, so actually overseeing the coaching side of things and the holistic part of the game style – offence, defence, stoppage, contest – working with leaders, working with staff and having a behind the scenes look at operations," he told Sarah Olle and Josh Gabelich on Trade Exchange.

"It was going to take something significant for me to step away from what I'm doing (at Werribee). The Werribee role wasn't a role that I was going to do to try and platform into something.

"I think, in time, being an assistant coach and overseeing a line will be important (for me) but now I get to go in and oversee all of that.

"An important part of the North Melbourne Football Club will be this development program and fast-tracking our players to propel us as quickly up the ladder as possible."

With one of the youngest lists in the AFL, Barlow will have plenty of emerging Roos to familiarise himself with upon his arrival and is excited to get started.

"All of them, really," he said when asked about who he wants to get to know.

"I'm getting in there tomorrow to meet the staff and get a list of what (the program) looks like … I'm not completely across who qualifies to be in (the development space) but for a lot of clubs it’s players in years 1-3 or 1-4, so I know it's going to be a big chunk of the group.

"The names that clearly spring to mind are (Harry) Sheezel and (George) Wardlaw.

"I've already got some feedback on Harry Sheezel. He's won the best and fairest and the Rising Star, but apparently, he is just – to use a 'Ross Lyon-ism' – dog-hungry in his training and in driving standards.

"And George Wardlaw is one that I've watched from afar. He wears the black boots, looks a bit ungroomed, and just gets out there and plays, so there's a couple of top enders there that you look at and think that (North Melbourne) is a pretty exciting place to be.

"Also, that middle tier of guys that have probably moved out of the development phase … there's (Luke) Davies-Uniacke and (Jy) Simpkin who are still young men … so I won't be confined to just the younger players."

By NMFC Media

Barlow said his decision to move back into the AFL system to steer North Melbourne's development program came only recently and was inspired by an informal coffee catch-up with Kangaroos coach Alastair Clarkson.

Barlow believes his "full pie of experiences" playing career – he was a mature-age draftee, Brownlow Medal smokey, copped an infamous broken leg, lost a Grand Final and was delisted from both Fremantle and Gold Coast – leaves him perfectly prepared for North's development role.

"I feel like I can speak to most players and empathise with whatever situation it is – whether they're going really well, whether they're going poorly, whether they've got some off-field stuff going on, whether they're injured, whether they've got a bit of a career mortality, that's really important to me," he said.

Clarko must be elite at elevator pitches. I hope other people at the club are taking notes.

Heard this snippet of Barlow mentioning the coffee catch up on the news today…mentioned that he was intrigued and not sure why to an hour later of talking footy and yep lm on board….sold…..made think of two things…Clarko is very good at selling a vision (what was in that coffee and where did it come from…l want one 🤔) and thank goodness we have him…..and we desperately need to get our own coffee cafe at Arden street pronto…….

Heard this snippet of Barlow mentioning the coffee catch up on the news today…mentioned that he was intrigued and not sure why to an hour later of talking footy and yep lm on board….sold…..made think of two things…Clarko is very good at selling a vision (what was in that coffee and where did it come from…l want one ) and thank goodness we have him…..and we desperately need to get our own coffee cafe at Arden street pronto…….
Clarko's Coffee Cart.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Clarko's Coffee Cart.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
I just saw his BT-50
IMG_5368+2.jpg

Heard this snippet of Barlow mentioning the coffee catch up on the news today…mentioned that he was intrigued and not sure why to an hour later of talking footy and yep lm on board….sold…..made think of two things…Clarko is very good at selling a vision (what was in that coffee and where did it come from…l want one 🤔) and thank goodness we have him…..and we desperately need to get our own coffee cafe at Arden street pronto…….
All Clarko would have to say "Harry and George. Do you want to work closely with them"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like all the other posters, I’m very happy with this appointment, as well as Xavier Clarke and Jed Adcock.
I think the addition of Clarko has certainly influenced these positive changes to the club. I trust, with Todd on charge, that our trade period will also be one of strength (unlike the past).
Stick strong and come out of the trade period with 2-3 top 10 picks in 2023 and still holding 1-2 1st rounders in 2024.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What does a development coach actually do day to day? I love Barlow I just don’t understand what the job actually entails

What does a development coach actually do day to day? I love Barlow I just don’t understand what the job actually entails

No idea, but I presume it involves creating individual programs for each 1-4 year player as well as some group programs working on everything from game plan to leadership etc

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Conduit between the 1-4 year players and all the other line coaches.

Rather than being responsible for solely the defenders, forwards or midfielders, has an overlap of all positions and works and sets meetings with 1-4 year players.

The line coaches priority is to go through match day strategy preparing for the next game, they will do their game edits with the opposition scouts, prepare footage, conduct the meetings, take training, instruct the drills specifically for the mid/def/fwds etc.

Development coach has none of those responsibilities so concentrates on any vision to improve the player, they aren't restricted to the next game - running patterns, play patterns, repeat efforts, positioning, skill work of any other AFL player in any other game etc.

Development coach isn't restricted to the AFL team and it's next game, he might not even have a match day role, so will get down to most VFL game to instruct and support the 1-4 year players etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back