Toast Max Holmes extends his contract for four years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Such good news. Sends out a message to players at other clubs too. Playing for Geelong is worth sacrificing earning more $$ at other clubs.

Sel's words echoed soo much during his retirement press conference.

You don't come to the Geelong Football Club to go to work for money, you come for the experience.”

As an aside, we questioned the club moving him to half back over the offseason and preseason, with some being adamant he would move back into the guts for the real stuff. Lo and behold he has mostly played as a half back, and is absolutely killing it down there, providing the "run and carry" we lacked last year.

Kudos to the club for trying it in the first place, and to Max for embracing the role. There was speculation he was disgruntled about not playing midfield, which would lead to his departure... nope.

As an aside, we questioned the club moving him to half back over the offseason and preseason, with some being adamant he would move back into the guts for the real stuff. Lo and behold he has mostly played as a half back, and is absolutely killing it down there, providing the "run and carry" we lacked last year.

Kudos to the club for trying it in the first place, and to Max for embracing the role. There was speculation he was disgruntled about not playing midfield, which would lead to his departure... nope.
Yeah he's doing pretty good, there have been moments though where he's thumped it long stratify to the opposition where I've lost my composure at the television somewhat

Scotty embraces guys who play multiple roles. They don't like one trick ponies.

Max can play half forward, wing, midfield, half back.
I'm sure he sold Maxy on being versatile and playing an important role long term as a leader and future star.

Not hard for him to buy in when the club values him soo highly.

No doubt other clubs were circling but the fact that neither club nor player let it devolve into a circus is a credit to both.

Best run club in the league.

Edit: Still remember Brownless being a dick to him post-2022. Getting him a flag all the more deserved now.
that Brownless interview on mad Monday was moronic. such a w*nker. Was very pissed and felt for Max.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that Brownless interview on mad Monday was moronic. such a w*nker. Was very pissed and felt for Max.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
I’m sure the club had a quiet word to Brownless after that interview …Brownless is still close to the club so I’m sure he would had taken it to heart

If this reported $3 million for 4 years is on the money then this is a huge result for the club because Max would have never signed for this deal without having deep discussions with the club. Been saying for awhile now that our current younger players aged 18yo to 25yo are the best collective group in that age group at the club since 2003 and for those that remember back far enough it was the players back in those earlier times that set the example because if you wanted to win premierships you couldn't have a number of the top players and future top players demanding big money, it just stuffs the whole system.

So I'm sure Max sees the 'big picture' into the future for our younger age group of Pussy Cats which he already appears to be getting on great with and by Max setting the standard by accepting a 'well below' market price 4 year contract that he's letting the rest of the younger brigade know of which his good mates with anyway, to jump on board and to follow in his footsteps when it comes to recontracting at the club.

Selwood and Hawkins having been doing this for years and it just sets the example to everyone else which then allows us to compete year on year but in order to constantly give ourselves a greater chance of winning premierships and 'beating the system' it requires 'big sacrifices' to all and sundry at the club. So thanks so much Max for playing your part and doing what you have done, it was selfless gesture by your good-self as goodness knows how much money some clubs would have been throwing at you. But you've set the example and led the way and I dare say this action along with other selfless acts that you will no doubt set at the club,....... may very well lead to you one day being captain of the this 'awesome bloody club'. GO CATS
I think it was Tom Harley as captain that said one year when we were renewing contracts sign everyone else up first I'll except what's left.

Astute piece of coaching- load up with defence midfielders so we have runners like holmes on the rebound.

Doesn't yet have the contested game for the midfield against the big boys but even if he doesn't develop that in his game he can be an AA level wing or half back

I've only flicked through the responses here, but beyond echoing everyone else I'd like to give a huge and hearty thanks to the Tigers for trading us the pick that got him through the door.

I think the rumours at the time were the Dees were into him and Richmond was kind enough to let us get in first...so while you're celebrating another 4 years of Max, raise a glass to the Yellow and Black as well!

I see your Frank Evans and raise you

STEFAN OKUNBOR

🤦‍♂️
I got some bloke named

Tonny Slewortttttttt

That’s how it reads anyway
Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back