News Magpies AFLW/VFLW News.

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think the AFL has stuffed up the scheduling, VFLW and AFLW. The two levels should ideally play the same season, so that there is more interaction between the teams. Maybe it’s a cost thing for the club? Also - and I may be wrong - but the AFLW season seemed to attract more attention and support when it was played early in the year rather than later. When fans were keen to see some footy, rather than tiring of it, especially if your AFL team performed poorly.
Yes you are right and I agree. Earlier was better.

I read somewhere that (on BF?) that the AFL wouldn't be increasing the teams due to not meeting targets in viewership and attendance.

Maybe schedule and promote it better?

So frustrating.

I still think the AFL has stuffed up the scheduling, VFLW and AFLW. The two levels should ideally play the same season, so that there is more interaction between the teams. Maybe it’s a cost thing for the club? Also - and I may be wrong - but the AFLW season seemed to attract more attention and support when it was played early in the year rather than later. When fans were keen to see some footy, rather than tiring of it, especially if your AFL team performed poorly.

I think that's the plan is to have AFLW played in a "normal" footy season and I said to the Carlton coach .... why don't they do curtain raiser at every match. AFLW match starts and then the Men's. Money was the reply. There's no money in AFLW as yet. We didn't get into detail but it could be just the cost of opening the gates earlier, insurance or whatevers. But it makes sense to me.

I made the joke that all they need is increase the awarenss of AFLW to get the money in. We get Sam Kerr in an exhibition match!!! BANG! Then you also have UK coverage. And I'm sure there are plenty more Matildas that know how to play. So yeah ...easy ... get it done! 😝

With regards to AFLW playing earlier, yeah I reckon it did get more interest because we're all straved for footy like you mentioned. But the 2 main issues are HEAT ... and xmas / holidays for the players / staff. It's a big impact for those not getting much return. Shifting towards the end of the men's pointy season kind of makes more sense ... but the reality is in IMO it should be aligned to the traditional season.

I for one would turn up earlier to a curtain raiser. IIRC we did it once against Norf (and lost 👎)

I think that's the plan is to have AFLW played in a "normal" footy season and I said to the Carlton coach .... why don't they do curtain raiser at every match. AFLW match starts and then the Men's. Money was the reply. There's no money in AFLW as yet. We didn't get into detail but it could be just the cost of opening the gates earlier, insurance or whatevers. But it makes sense to me.

I made the joke that all they need is increase the awarenss of AFLW to get the money in. We get Sam Kerr in an exhibition match!!! BANG! Then you also have UK coverage. And I'm sure there are plenty more Matildas that know how to play. So yeah ...easy ... get it done! 😝

With regards to AFLW playing earlier, yeah I reckon it did get more interest because we're all straved for footy like you mentioned. But the 2 main issues are HEAT ... and xmas / holidays for the players / staff. It's a big impact for those not getting much return. Shifting towards the end of the men's pointy season kind of makes more sense ... but the reality is in IMO it should be aligned to the traditional season.

I for one would turn up earlier to a curtain raiser. IIRC we did it once against Norf (and lost 👎)
Re the curtain raiser before the men’s game - I’m not sure the modern venues have enough change rooms to cater for the full complement of two women’s teams, and two men’s, on the same day.

Different when the men’s reserves used to play before the main game - they could share change rooms with the senior teams.

Re the curtain raiser before the men’s game - I’m not sure the modern venues have enough change rooms to cater for the full complement of two women’s teams, and two men’s, on the same day.

Different when the men’s reserves used to play before the main game - they could share change rooms with the senior teams.

Good point. But isn't that why fig leaves were invented?? 😝

1713243241830.png

Collingwood 4.5 (29) def Carlton 1.6 (12)
Lucy Cronin (COL)
6 Keeley Skepper (CAR)
4 Madeleine Guerin (CAR)
4 Carly Remmos (COL)
2 Jaide Anthony (COL)
2 Lilly Pearce (COL)
1 Meg Ryan (COL)
1 Eliza Wood (CAR)

That'll be good confidence for her.

Decent Aflw players to play this week

90fa58f8652ded77d90352bd38e66f17.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This game will give us a good little preview of what to expect at AFLW level this year, with so many playing against Sydney.....
Decent Aflw players to play this week

90fa58f8652ded77d90352bd38e66f17.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that 13 listed AFLW players I count?

The CFC website isn't updated. (eg. Tarni, Ash I know have left. Jo Lin delisted too right?

I really like seeing Cronin a few weeks back.

COLLINGWOOD
B:
K. Lennox (47), M. Ryan (44)
HB: C. Taylor (63), A. Peterson (52), J. Ramsdale (51)
C: E. James (2), C. Remmos (40), H. Dyson (59)
HF: L. Brazzale (46), S. Sansonetti (48), A. Porter (9)
F: G. Clark (49), E. Fowler (45)
R: I. Barnett (36), S. Ingram (38), J. Anthony (68)
INT: N. Watts (62), C. Granville (42), M. Ellin (55), K. Day (50), E. Morris (39)
EMG: M. Molenberg (37), L. Pearce (41), S. Degiacomi (65)

IN: I. Barnett, G. Clark, M. Ellin, C. Granville, K. Lennox, E. Morris, J. Ramsdale, M. Ryan, N. Watts
OUT: M. Atkinson, L. Butler, L. Cronin, S. Frederick, S. Livingstone, N. Morris-Dalton, S. Rowe, R. Schleicher, T. White (AFLW)
NEW: Georgia Clark, 18, 172cm, Glenorchy/Tasmania Devils/North Melbourne VFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Back