Traded Luke Jackson [Traded with #44 and #67 to Fremantle for #13, F1 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

An enjoyable bump this one. Jackson in the AA squad. Brayshaw nowhere to be seen. Jackson has surpassed Brayshaw already and it's taken him 1 season to do so. And he plays in a much harder position for a young player. So all of those posters that said it was insane for Melbourne to even mention wanting Brayshaw for Jackson, well fast forward 1 season and Jackson's value has proved to be in fact worth more. People overrated Brayshaw and underrated Jackson.

I've never seen any poster so obsessed with all things Jackson

You know what's crazy.....Jackson might end up being better than Danster predicted.
err no. he was this good at Melbourne. but just stuck behind Gawn. I wanted 3 firsts or 2 in the top 5. that has now been justified. I was ahead of the curve.

The misread on Jackson by freo fans was embarassing. 3 months of 'oh Jackson has done nothing, it's potential only', 'omg, we paid so much for a 2nd ruck'. what a total misread.

I also said he was better than Darcy. Got laughed at. Well yeah, got that right too. Freo gotta trade Darcy or risk putting Jackson forward and ruining his impact.

err no. he was this good at Melbourne. but just stuck behind Gawn. I wanted 3 firsts or 2 in the top 5. that has now been justified. I was ahead of the curve.

The misread on Jackson by freo fans was embarassing. 3 months of 'oh Jackson has done nothing, it's potential only', 'omg, we paid so much for a 2nd ruck'. what a total misread.

I also said he was better than Darcy. Got laughed at. Well yeah, got that right too. Freo gotta trade Darcy or risk putting Jackson forward and ruining his impact.
Paying that much for a ruck both in salary and picks is an awful list management decision to win a flag.

There's years of repeat examples of cheap, run of the mill ruckman winning flags. Why anyone would think to spend that on a ruck compared to other areas of a list is pure stupidity.

He might be a gun, but it's a poor management decision to spend that on a position that is not important to premiership success.

Paying that much for a ruck both in salary and picks is an awful list management decision to win a flag.

There's years of repeat examples of cheap, run of the mill ruckman winning flags. Why anyone would think to spend that on a ruck compared to other areas of a list is pure stupidity.

He might be a gun, but it's a poor management decision to spend that on a position that is not important to premiership success.
In your view which forward would be a straight swap in a trade for Darcy?

In your view which forward would be a straight swap in a trade for Darcy?
I dont know, haven't really thought about that, but it's not really relayed to my view on the costs of rucks and the calibre of rucks for flags.

I would say that given Freo have two gun rucks, cashing in on someone like Darcy as ruck (given you won't trade Jackson with the investment made) would be a good decision. You could use that pick(s) to invest in other areas more important to premiership success.

As a like for like trade I think Darcy would be more likely to command a good pick as clubs tend to overpay for rucks (and it doesn't pay off compared to acquiring a cheaper ruck) so you could take advantage of that.

As a direct swap for a KPF that would be incredibly rare. Very hard to like for like any player swaps these days as they seem really rare.

There are a lot of people (including media pundits) who call this a terrible trade for Freo.
We will know more in 4 or 5 years if it is a decent trade or not.

There are a lot of people (including media pundits) who call this a terrible trade for Freo.
We will know more in 4 or 5 years if it is a decent trade or not.
I am one of said people. Happy to admit if Jackson goes on to become a dominant force and his tandem with Darcy bring success to the team but imo the last 2 years of list management from Freo has been horrendous.

And while I do enjoy shitcanning Freo on Bigfooty, I actually liked our petty rivalry that had began to develop over a few years of close contests and dramatic endings. Would be wrapt to see them return to finals this season but have a lot of doubts over that happening with JL and Bell in charge.

It just has the Gawn/Grundy mark 2 about it.

Darcy averages 1 contested mark a game - he can’t go forward and Jackson isn’t a forward. Just bizarre to put that much of your salary cap into 1 position.

I don't think the club sees Jackson as a number 1 ruck.

If they did I would agree with you. Is the club right? I guess we will find out.

If Jackson continues to play second ruck and roam the remainder of the game he could be dominant. He is too small to play first ruck imo. We will see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said at the time Jackson will be better than Darcy in the long term. I wouldn’t be surprised despite the long term deal if Darcy is traded in the next few years.
Different strengths though. Darcy is definitely the number one choice for us in the ruck. Jackson far exceeds him around the ground.

Different strengths though. Darcy is definitely the number one choice for us in the ruck. Jackson far exceeds him around the ground.
They definitely have different strengths. IMO Jackson was fantastic in the ruck when Darcy was out last year. And when he on the rare occasion was one out at Melbourne he was really good. I just see value in trading Darcy in a couple of years. Jackson will probably be the leagues best ruck.

They definitely have different strengths. IMO Jackson was fantastic in the ruck when Darcy was out last year. And when he on the rare occasion was one out at Melbourne he was really good. I just see value in trading Darcy in a couple of years. Jackson will probably be the leagues best ruck.
I'd want to wait at least 3/4 years before re-considering the Darcy contract.

They definitely have different strengths. IMO Jackson was fantastic in the ruck when Darcy was out last year. And when he on the rare occasion was one out at Melbourne, he was really good. I just see value in trading Darcy in a couple of years. Jackson will probably be the league's best ruck.

He was fantastic while Darcy was out yes, was he fantastic in the ruck though? Answer to that is NO.

His around the ground work as a "ruck-man" is second to none, simply above everyone in the game. But in the contest, competing for hitouts etc he is pretty ordinary.

There’s about 5 or 6 rucks in the league that Jackson will get beaten up by, at pure rucking. That’s why Darcy has been kept around.
None of those guys were opponents of LJ in the last 5 games when he looked great for sure.
He was up against spuds like Darcy fort, some no name from the eagles, the hawks 2nd or third choice ruck, another fringe ruck from port.
If jackson could ruck for 23 games a year against those level of guys - yeah great, we didn’t need Darcy. But that won’t happen.

The problem occurs when the following types are rucking against LJ:
Nankervis
Briggs
Witts
Gawn
Even Marshall from the saints would be too physical for LJ.

Against those types, we need Darcy to shoulder 70% of the ruckwork. LJ is too valuable to be slugging away against those guys.

There’s about 5 or 6 rucks in the league that Jackson will get beaten up by, at pure rucking. That’s why Darcy has been kept around.
None of those guys were opponents of LJ in the last 5 games when he looked great for sure.
He was up against spuds like Darcy fort, some no name from the eagles, the hawks 2nd or third choice ruck, another fringe ruck from port.
If jackson could ruck for 23 games a year against those level of guys - yeah great, we didn’t need Darcy. But that won’t happen.

The problem occurs when the following types are rucking against LJ:
Nankervis
Briggs
Witts
Gawn
Even Marshall from the saints would be too physical for LJ.

Against those types, we need Darcy to shoulder 70% of the ruckwork. LJ is too valuable to be slugging away against those guys.
I think with this opinion, it's reasonable to then say that spending so much on Darcy as well is a waste. We say Jackson doesnt annihilate the big boys like he does the journeyman ruck but I'd wager when he's 25 / 26 he'd dominate them so much in everywhere but the tap it wouldnt matter.

Since the 2nd half of last year, I havent been as steadfast as basically all other Dockers supporters that Jackson is absolutely best playing all over the ground instead of just ruck. I think both sides of the argument are reasonable because it is a lot of money tied up in the two players. Clearly the club has never thought of Jackson as a pure ruck though so we'll see if they were right in the next 5 years

I think with this opinion, it's reasonable to then say that spending so much on Darcy as well is a waste. We say Jackson doesnt annihilate the big boys like he does the journeyman ruck but I'd wager when he's 25 / 26 he'd dominate them so much in everywhere but the tap it wouldnt matter.

Since the 2nd half of last year, I havent been as steadfast as basically all other Dockers supporters that Jackson is absolutely best playing all over the ground instead of just ruck. I think both sides of the argument are reasonable because it is a lot of money tied up in the two players. Clearly the club has never thought of Jackson as a pure ruck though so we'll see if they were right in the next 5 years
I agree really and if this was a computer game were we could trade Darcy, either directly or indirectly, for a player of equivalent value but in a position of need, and there were no consequences for team unity, media narrative and the clubs internal belief, we'd have done it. But it's RL.

I agree really and if this was a computer game were we could trade Darcy, either directly or indirectly, for a player of equivalent value but in a position of need, and there were no consequences for team unity, media narrative and the clubs internal belief, we'd have done it. But it's RL.
100%, basically if Darcy wanted to leave last year it would have been worse for intangibles and what it says about the state of the club off-field. Talent wise there would be a decent chance the list is better off purely on balance.

I would never want someone like Darcy pushed out

Jackson dominating freo's intra club today. Not bad for a guy who had shown nothing prior to last year and was nothing other than a 2nd ruck. :) Could Freo fans have been any more wrong about someone?

The ironic thing is that Freo fans would be livid if they traded him for #13, a F2 and a F1 (which at the time was expected to be a pick in the teens).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back