Traded Lachie Schultz [Traded to Collingwood for #34 and F1]

Remove this Banner Ad

Valuable to Freo, not so valuable to Collingwood.
We may only used two draft picks so 19 & 34 or 19 & 39 isn't a big deal to us.

Which is why it's good strategy - give ground on this years first versus next year (important to our plans for next year) and sweeten it with something not really valuable to you but something of worth to us.

Your talking to a freo fan about paying overs at the trade table - were the masters at it!

Yeah look that post was really just to stir old m8 up after carrying on all week how the pies would just walk away if we asked for too much etc.

My personal opinion is the trades a genuine win/win- atm it may seem overs to some of your supporters but I can guarantee once they see Lachie play and the effort he brings in the defensive side he ll soon become a fan favourite and very good addition to your team .

I think it is about right should we finish top 4 next year.

If we finish mid table it's looking like overs.

Finish bottom 6 and Freo just got away with day light robbery.

Suspect it's why they wanted a future first over our current first, edging thier bets that the pick will be much better then the eventual 23 of our first in 23.

Just by way of how even the competition is and how often a premiership hangover is a real thing I’d put some arbitrary numbers likes 50% to miss top 4, 25% to miss the 8.

The future 1st of the premier might be the best value lotto ticket you can buy for its cost really

Valuable to Freo, not so valuable to Collingwood.
We may only used two draft picks so 19 & 34 or 19 & 39 isn't a big deal to us.
Agree in principal, depends whether that 34 could have been packaged to move 19 up to a more desirable pick depending on how the club rates players in this draft. Having said that if Ginnivan leaves, potentially something like that could happen.

You’re talking about 3 years after you won the GF. The following year you finished 5th.

We picked up arguably the best young kid in the 2021 draft.

People don’t realise there were periods during this season we had quite a few senior players out injured. Played the GF with 2 senior players out injured.

No doubt we have just improved our list. We have kids screaming for an opportunity playing great footy in the VFL. MaCrae for one has been told he will get more senior footy in 2024. McInnes, Harrison, Allan, Ryan will get their chances in 2024.
Only potential issue is we have a number of key players at ages where heavy decline is common place. As much as we think these players are the types who could play forever, it's almost impossible to predict when the inevitable drop off in performance level will take place. Could be 3 years away, could be next season. None of the young players mentioned have the capacity to maintain the performance level next season if that happens. Third oldest premiership side in about 80 years has way more risks when it comes to backing up than a younger side.

Not ideal you say. Bit of an understatement.

I live in WA so watch a lot of the Dockers. The guy's a gun.

Huge win for the Pies, massive loss for Freo.

I think this is pretty evident for all to see and anyone that watched us would understand.

That said, it's also pretty clear he was leaving next year from all reports. So best case was we would get an end of first as FA compo next year so i would say by doing it early we certainly come out in front.

All that said, i'd 10/10 prefer him to be in Purple for the next 5-6 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good business for Collingwood.
Very sad for us.
Could end up being amazing business for you if the Pies collapse in a heap. Imagine getting pick 4 for lachie Schultz. It will be right up there in the most famous trades all time, like lachie Weller!

Could end up being amazing business for you if the Pies collapse in a heap. Imagine getting pick 4 for lachie Schultz. It will be right up there in the most famous trades all time, like lachie Weller!
I can't see Collingwood finishing any lower than 6th though. EVen thats a stretch.

Geelong were a far more convincing premier than the Pies but it didn't help them.

I do think they are most likely to be a top 6 side and a good chance to be top 4.
Did we have to beat the Lions by 15 goals in the GF for us to be ‘convincing’ premiers to you?

Kinda how when he pinged his hammy when we were 4 goals down to the Cats then went on to win 2 of the next 3?

Or was it when he had 7 possessions and 2 marks in the Grand Final we won?

Geelong had Stewart DeKoning off and a host of others missing plus Hawkins first runs in 6 months.

Just by way of how even the competition is and how often a premiership hangover is a real thing I’d put some arbitrary numbers likes 50% to miss top 4, 25% to miss the 8.

The future 1st of the premier might be the best value lotto ticket you can buy for its cost really
Cool story, however, since 2010, the Premiers have finished top 4 the following season in 10 of 13 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back