Speculation Logan McDonald

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeepers if I'am any club in the AFL I definitely wouldn't be trading 2 top 10's for McDonald. Fremantle have had 2 x Top 10 Picks 3 times in the last 10 years I think. Results were

Brayshaw and Cerra
Hayden Young and Serong
Amiss and Erasmus (Yes I know he has yet to prove anything)

I agree McDonald is worth a High end Pick and a little more but 2 x Top 10s for his current output is crazy
On current output, McDonald is at the same level as Amiss. Would you call two top 10s for Amiss crazy? I know Amiss is younger, but you're talking about current output, not future potential.

On current output, McDonald is at the same level as Amiss. Would you call two top 10s for Amiss crazy? I know Amiss is younger, but you're talking about current output, not future potential.
Amiss had 40 goals in his second season, McDonald had 15, its very fair to say Amiss is currently tracking ahead of McDonald

Yeah, I get that, the point is for young key forwards you don't say 'Well based on current output'. On current output, which of the below is it fair to pay two top-ten picks for and which is insane?
View attachment 1947986
I dont think either should be judged on just the current output

its like when we were buying Jackson, we bought him from the Dees hoping he would turn into the player he is turning into, its a well weighted risk, if Jackson stayed at his Dees output then we lose that trade, gotta take a risk on potential though

McDonald is performing well for his age but we are also buying on potential to perform as a top calibre forward (if we are even a chance as this is all speculation)

With the threat of wc in the PSD and Logan being OOC and steadily improving instead of truly breaking out
Unfortunately for the swannies the chances of getting 2 first rounders is fantasy talk.
Something like p10 plus mid second be more than fair from freos end .

Luckily for Sydney tho ,with their academy chugging along in full production and with unlimited bidding rights it won’t be long before Sydney “save” another elite prospect from the ghastly clutches of mordor or more commonly known as the NRL and Lmac will be nothing more than a distant memory .

Can we just appreciate the irony of people gnashing their teeth about the academies in the same thread as discussing the luring home of a player from NSW to a traditional football state?
I dont think either should be judged on just the current output
No, generally people agree this isn't a great idea for young KPF, hence my post with an illustration.

Last edited:
I just genuinely would not pay 2 top 10s for him period. Not many in the AFL are worth that.

Can we just appreciate the irony of people gnashing their teeth about the academies in the same thread as discussing the luring home of a player from NSW to a traditional football state?

No, generally people agree this isn't a great idea for young KPF, hence my post with an illustration.

thats not even the same thing, the club "luring" the player back home have to cough up decent draft capital for a trade and not just a fist full of 5th rounders points for a acadamy pick.

Sydney can't really afford to lose McDonald.
although he might not ever be a superstar key forward, I think he will be a solid key foward for a long time.

I don't rate Joel Amartey very highly and think the Swans will struggle if they lose McDonald.

Lol. Irony is you carrying on as if the Swans arent a destination club and everyone is out to steal their players. Since when have the Swans been unable to lure big name forwards across from interstate?

Lockett.
Hall.
Franklin.

Im sure you have heard of these guys. Two of them being all time record holding AFL goal kickers.

But you continue to flop around crying poor bugger us when Logan is being courted?

Grundy, Adams and Jones three more quality interstate recruits last season. B b but other teams are luring our players home.

Hypocracy is strong with you.

Lol. Irony is you carrying on as if the Swans arent a destination club and everyone is out to steal their players. Since when have the Swans been unable to lure big name forwards across from interstate?

Lockett.
Hall.
Franklin.

Im sure you have heard of these guys. Two of them being all time record holding AFL goal kickers.

But you continue to flop around crying poor bugger us when Logan is being courted?

Grundy, Adams and Jones three more quality interstate recruits last season. B b but other teams are luring our players home.

Hypocracy is strong with you.

It's a poor troll, but will take the bait.

Since Cola left (let's not debate the ins and outs of this here please), Sydney actually haven't recruited any large forward or forward targets.

Grundy - Was essentially a free hit, Melbourne wanted him off their books (and I feel as if he would have been an achievable target for a large amount of clubs), wanted to be number 1 ruck again, something we could offer.
Adams - Great pick up, but from what I can see we were the only club really chatting to him, wanted to feel valued after Collingwood, we had a weakness in midfield and offered opportunies
Jordan - (Not Jones) - Simply left for opportunities which we could offer due to a weakness in midfield

Whilst there are all great acquisitions, each come with large question marks Grundy (Contract), Adams (Injury), Jordan (Is he good enough).

Since Cola leaving, Sydney have lost multiple high value players who were all best or close to best 22 that we wanted to keep with very little incoming (Dawson (Highly rated by club, rumoured we offered more $$$ than Adelaide), T Mitchell, Nankervis, G Hewitt, Jetta, Jones, Aliir, Stephens, Newman (Not including those who left for opportunity in Membrey, D Cameron and Rohan).

The players we grabbed were the first players of note we have gotten since Buddy (Honorable mentions to Sinclair, Hickey and somewhat Ladhams).

With the pricing in NSW it is becoming harder to keep highly rated interstate players, especially as you can get more bang for your buck on the same wage elsewhere with far greater sponsorship/ marketing opportunities. This is why the academy is crucial (but I do agree that the payment rules need to be changed so you cannot match a first with multiple R3/4 picks).

That being said, I don't blame Fremantle or clubs courting these players, if my club was in the position to do so I would be hoping they would as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do freo do with their handful of firsts now? Unlikely they will want to go that heavy in the draft, and as of right now there doesn't appear to be a significant trade target to warrant the picks

What do freo do with their handful of firsts now? Unlikely they will want to go that heavy in the draft, and as of right now there doesn't appear to be a significant trade target to warrant the picks
Its a interesting question. Do we look to trade them up or trade onto next year

One on baker and use the other 2

If baker doesn't wanna go then use all 3 to get as high as possible and take a top 4/5 pick

We need quality over quantity tbh, we also need instant impact hence being open to trading

If I were them I would keep and use them.

You have Tasmania coming in from 28, that means the 26/27 drafts are likely getting compromised.

Fremantle have an exceptional young list at the moment (rate it as highly as GC's, North's and Sydney's), get some youth, develop it well and they should be at the pointy end of things as the drafts get compromised, plus would have a young list that can contend for a long period of time whilst teams struggle to rebuild.

One on baker and use the other 2

If baker doesn't wanna go then use all 3 to get as high as possible and take a top 4/5 pick

We need quality over quantity tbh, we also need instant impact hence being open to trading
Could you aim for pick 1 from Eagles.
I wonder what 3 consecutive picks it is worth ( unlikely to be consecutive, but possible).
I think 1 is probably normally worth 5,6 for 2 consecutive picks, for 3 of them probably 8,9,10.

If I were them I would keep and use them.

You have Tasmania coming in from 28, that means the 26/27 drafts are likely getting compromised.

Fremantle have an exceptional young list at the moment (rate it as highly as GC's, North's and Sydney's), get some youth, develop it well and they should be at the pointy end of things as the drafts get compromised, plus would have a young list that can contend for a long period of time whilst teams struggle to rebuild.
Won't be able to hold onto all 3 of them

Better going for quality over quantity

McDonald is on 9 goals over 4 games so far. That is pretty good and if he maintains that for the rest of the season I consider that a massive win.

If he keeps up that rate we would nearly hit 50 goals this year.

Would be a brilliant effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back