UK Liz Truss - Shortest serving UK PM in history

Remove this Banner Ad

For a certain percentage of the 160,000 Tory faithful who voted, yes it is.
They're prepared to accept non-white faces in certain Cabinet posts and rationalize that with a "Haven't they done well with the gifts we've given them" attitude, the way they would with, say, athletics medallists or their best Rugby player, but the job of Big Dog is just a step too far.
This guy knows

Can any of them?

From what I have heard from her she is quite direct so will be interesting.
We shall see, now that Parliament is back in session (for a couple of weeks)
I'm not expecting her to be too direct, she's quite poor when it comes to spontaneous debate and I think we'll see her stonewalling and sticking to a carefully prepared script

good luck to her. Economic forecasters are predicting 15%+ inflation with electicity to go up 80%. Thats the start of a long list of problems in England

She's already frozen out Sunak and his backers from cabinet. Seems a dunderheaded move when she didn't have plurality support among the caucus, and is already facing massive public pressure given the mess they've made.

Rest of the ministry is an incompetent joke. Marge Dursley as deputy PM

She's already frozen out Sunak and his backers from cabinet. Seems a dunderheaded move when she didn't have plurality support among the caucus, and is already facing massive public pressure given the mess they've made.

Rest of the ministry is an incompetent joke. Marge Dursley as deputy PM

Yep, less an attempt at reconciliation, more just "jobs for people who like me", regardless of their political calibre

The promotion of Truss to PM should put the conservatives in the political wilderness for a generation. Already proven as incompetent as a minister , her first cabinet is full of talentless cronies. Worst of all Boris Johnson gave her his backing although you can guarantee he will be sharpening the knives to get back in as pm or leader of the opposition.

The promotion of Truss to PM should put the conservatives in the political wilderness for a generation. Already proven as incompetent as a minister , her first cabinet is full of talentless cronies. Worst of all Boris Johnson gave her his backing although you can guarantee he will be sharpening the knives to get back in as pm or leader of the opposition.
Next election doesn't have to be called until 2025.

As Truss looks to wind back the NI protocol it's worth remembering that for decades the Brits were part of a brutal civil war in Ireland where atrocities were committed by all sides. We've had more or less peace there for a quarter of a decade and the Tories want to rip that up because they don't like the French. Glad to see Biden gently reminding her about the Good Friday Agreement.

I will say that at least she has made the right move with bringing down the price caps. If the average bill went up to 300/month it would be carnage over winter. 200 is going to be tough enough but doable for most.

Obviously, the decision to look at fracking again is going to be controversial, but I must admit I'm not completely across it all so will leave that one for another day.

I don't think anyone is expecting anything much from her and with the economy getting smashed the way it is it was a bit of a poisoned chalice anyway. At least the BoJo clown show is over (for now) - the dumbass Pom's voted for a circus and that's exactly what they got. At least we Londoners have (mostly) still got some sense left. Funnily enough, the places that went Tory have been hit the hardest so.... **** 'em.

I just notice that every time a woman is elected by the Tories she is immediately hated on as the next Thatcher. Same thing happened with May.
Both of them actively courted comparisons to Thatcher and her legacy. Truss even more so, she's trying so desperately to be an Iron Lady by talking tough on China and about nuclear weapons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like Pound Shop Thatcher had a go at trying to bask in some post mourning glow with the new king and got put in her place.
The description of the tour over the weekend suggested Downing Street was planning for Truss to accompany the new king on engagements in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales – which had raised some eyebrows among MPs and the opposition.

Such a balanced viewpoint.

The high level of left hatred is usually a good sign imo.
troll dancing GIF

Going well so far...

One former minister told Sky News: “Liz is f-----. She is taking on markets and the Bank of England. Her, Kwasi, [Chris] Philp and Simon [McGee] are playing A-level economics with people’s lives. You cannot have monetary policy and fiscal policy at loggerheads. Something has to give.”
The ex-minister also claimed moves to trigger a vote of no confidence in Ms Truss’s leadership were under way.

“They are already putting letters in as they think she will crash the economy,”

Going well so far...

You know what's really scary? I see a direct parallel between Truss' insane tax cuts being at odds with the Bank of England raising rates, and both major Australian parties committing to the Stage 3 tax cuts while the RBA is raising rates. Both are horrible things to do in a high-inflation environment.

Yeah, the Stage 3 tax cuts are starting to stink real bad. Albo needs to realise that, after informing the electorate of the whys of doing so, that he CAN walk these cuts back.
Lambie seems a bit of a shape shifter to me standing for little more than what will win her favour with the government of the day but her comments about making a mistake voting for them have probably made Albo's job a bit easier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back