News LIVE: National Draft 2011 - Draft Discussion & Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Neil Craig will have been behind Sellar. Strange because he never really got a run under Craig. Maybe he sees some potential there.

Only thing I can think of with Sellar (besides a possible Neil Craig influence) is that we will struggle to delist players in a couple of years who have their best clearly behind them. I.e. we have a young list and there is no point taking on more kids simply to cut them.

Instead of a kid at pick 54 who may take more than 2 years before we even know if they're any good we rolled the dice on Sellar who we'll know about quicker. If he doesn't cut it we simply ditch him in 2 years and free up a senior list spot for a better ND pick rather than wait it out on an unlikely kid at 54 for 3 or 4 years only to find out he isn't up to it and subsequently end up a list clogger.

Taggert is my housemate's niece's boyfriend. True story.

Quite surprised to see him go so high to be honest.

Guys been trolling Melbourne on the main board....ignore. Pretty surprised by Sellar it will be interesting to hear the clubs rationale.

Only thing I can think of with Sellar (besides a possible Neil Craig influence) is that we will struggle to delist players in a couple of years who have their best clearly behind them. I.e. we have a young list and there is no point taking on more kids simply to cut them.

:confused: We drafted Sellar so MFC has an easy option to who to delist in 2 years time. WTF

Not a fan of Sellar but nor were any Pie fans on Leroy Brown.

Prefer a smokie kid to get excited about but will be interesting to see how Neeld plays him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:confused: We drafted Sellar so MFC has an easy option to who to delist in 2 years time. WTF
No, we drafted Sellar for whatever reason the club chose him, I don't know why.

My take is that it isn't the end of the world if he doesn't make it though. I should have made that clearer. I'm simply saying that the club will know earlier with Sellar than perhaps another 18 yr old who could take longer.

The club isn't in the business of picking duds for the sake of it, obviously they see an upside.

From the live chat it's clear we wanted Taggert at 36, with Tynen as one of out back-ups, but he was a slider and available with 52. Also sounds like Sellar was a part of the plan. In hindsight it's interesting to look at this article from earlier today and try to put names to what Matt Burgan was hinting at.

I'd say Sellar has been drafted as a backup defender, as we don't really have a big strong tall backman other than Frawley. Whilst McDonald shows promise he still needs a body.

It's pretty simple really - Mohr has gone to GWS so Casey are short a key defender. Hello James Sellar

Pretty disappointed overall to be honest.

Rory seems to skinny to be 87kg and is more of a flashy half forward then midfielder. Gobsmacked we let Grigg go.

Josh Tynan I simply don't rate. Kicking is average and doesn't chase or tackle hard enough.

James Sellar is unproven, and is only picked up because of his frame. Interesting to see what position he will play.

Very surprise to see Nelson, Bolger, Waldhuter, Frost and Bosely not finding a home. Would have chose any of them ahead of those picked tonigt.

Hopefully we pick up at least one, maybe two of them during the rookie draft.

Pretty disappointed overall to be honest.

Rory seems to skinny to be 87kg and is more of a flashy half forward then midfielder. Gobsmacked we let Grigg go.

Josh Tynan I simply don't rate. Kicking is average and doesn't chase or tackle hard enough.

James Sellar is unproven, and is only picked up because of his frame. Interesting to see what position he will play.

Very surprise to see Nelson, Bolger, Waldhuter, Frost and Bosely not finding a home. Would have chose any of them ahead of those picked tonigt.

Hopefully we pick up at least one, maybe two of them during the rookie draft.

LoL

He doesnt look 87kg so he musnt be big enough or strong enough... he is so deal with it, compared to Dustin Martin apparently, clearance player ect, kicks goals

Tynan chasing and tackling was the one thing i noticed form his draft video.....but that is only a clip

from Chris 25's mock

Really strong and composed player, Tynan made the half back line his home during the Championships. Tynan could become a solid small defender, and his contested ball work is up there with the best in the draft. But he is also a strong mark, and won’t back down from a contest. Whether he develops into anything more than a solid defender is the question. AFL Comparison: Jacob Surjan.

You obviously get caught up in the hype if your so disappointed in Sellar, give the kids a break, was a high pick who has been reportedly screwed around in the position he played, Neil Craig should of had info on this guy, he did Coach him for about 5 years

Draft: what the Demons say

In summary
Melbourne was one of the last clubs to enter the draft after the Mitch Clark trade cleared out their first pick. Rory Taggart was a surprise choice at pick 36, with the Demons banking on him flying under the radar of other clubs. Former Crow James Sellar was the first recycled player to be named and will give the Demons size up forward.

What the recruiter said
"The coaching staff were really keen on getting another experienced tall on the list to add to bringing Mitch Clark. The 23-year-old demographic is something we don't have a lot of. We took four talls last year and our last two picks in 2009 were Max Gawn and Jack Fitzpatrick so they're all really young. We've got Frawley and Rivers down there, who are the key tall defenders, but not a lot of experienced talls in our forward line." Melbourne national recruiting manager Barry Prendergast.

Pick 36: Rory Taggart, North Ballarat
Prendergast says: "I was an AIS selector in Rory's under 16 year and he was a bloke who caught my eye in that program. He certainly was someone in contention who didn't make the AIS. I watched a game against Oakleigh last year where he caught my eye again. He sneaked under the radar a bit and there were only four or so clubs who spoke to him at the combine."

Pick 52: Josh Tynan, Gippsland Power
Prendergast says: "We took a bit of time with this pick and that was a bit linked in to 54 as well. You get through the draft and we had a pleasant surprise we had a choice at 52. There was another player we liked at that pick, so we were making two decisions in the one deliberation. Josh's national championships and time at Gippsland were impressive. He was so disciplined."

Pick 54: James Sellar, Adelaide
Prendergast says: "Neil (Craig) has coached him for the last five years so we did seek his opinion and Todd Viney as well because he was an assistant coach in Adelaide. We were able to have some valuable insight into James and that helps in making that decision."

Every club (EVERY club) passed on those players ... you may rate them, but you'd have to say that none of the professionals did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back