Senior Lincoln McCarthy (2018-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Leaping Linc Continues to Impress

linc.png

McCarthy continued to prove his worth in 2021, in one of his most damaging years to date.

The crafty forward earned himself the Shaun Hart Trademark Player of the Year, his first award in Lions colours and a justified reward following his elevation to the leadership group at the start of the season.

At 28, McCarthy is ageing like a fine wine, having a career-year in front of goals, snagging 36 majors.

Impressively, he kicked a bag of four twice this season and averaged 1.5 goals a game, ranking above-average according to Champion Data.

He also won Lions fans over with his aerial ability, including an impressive hanger against the Gold Coast in Round 9.

One of his better performances came in the second QClash in Round 20 however, where the former Cat played a pivotal role in overcoming an energetic Suns side.

His 55-metre bomb of a drop punt in the third quarter seemed to be the catalyst the Lions needed to run away with a 49-point win.

McCarthy is contracted until 2024.

Standout Performance: Linc Thrives in Home State

It seems there were plenty of impressive performances from Lions players in Round 16.

Having flown in the morning of the game and spent 4 hours isolating in the Adelaide Oval cricket nets, Brisbane had a point to prove against the Crows.

In the face of adversity, Lincoln McCarthy led from the front in a dominant performance up forward.

The South Australian kicked four goals straight to steer his team toward their dominant 52-point win.

He also collected 16 disposals and took 6 marks as he continued his consistent form.

Season Averages

Disposals - 12.8 (Above-Average)

Kicks - 7.6

Marks - 3.2

Tackles - 3.3 (Above-Average)

Goals - 1.5 (Above-Average)

If he kicks that early goal in first quarter, you know he's on. Almost a barometer to our forward line in terms of repeat efforts, pace and pressure.

Pretty special player, so glad he's playing for us.

Introducing Our '22 Leaders

Returning to the group are 2021 All Australian Daniel Rich, defensive stalwarts Darcy Gardiner and Ryan Lester, champion midfielder Lachie Neale and his best mate and forward line general Linc McCarthy and emerging champion Hugh McCluggage.

Reborn Lion Finally Set for Century

Chairing off his good mate Lachie Neale at the end of the Brownlow medallist's 200th game last week only highlighted to Brisbane's Lincoln McCarthy how different his own AFL journey has been.

Neale and McCarthy were members of the same draft in 2011 but the small forward will be making just his 100th appearance in Sunday's Queensland derby against Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium.

Regardless of the disparity, McCarthy is no less proud of his achievement after arriving in Brisbane in 2019 having managed just 29 matches in seven injury-plagued seasons at Geelong.

"Lachie doubled me last week and we got drafted together," McCarthy said.

"A couple of contrasting careers right there.

"I'm happy to be keeping mine on the right track at the moment."

Reborn in Queensland, McCarthy has made 70 appearances in just over three seasons with the Lions and been a key part of the club's emergence as a premiership prospect.

It's a story that has been well told but the 28-year-old remains forever grateful for the Lions for taking a chance on him and enabling him to revive a career he admits could otherwise already be done and dusted.

"When you consider pulling the pin seven years through and have had 29 games, then being able to grind my way back, it's something to be proud of," McCarthy said.

"I'm just really grateful for the support that I've had to enable me to do that, to be honest, because there was definitely some times when footy ... I wasn't doing it for love.

"Definitely the last few years I have been, so it's been good fun.

"There was probably six months there where I was weighing up whether it would be a good move (to Brisbane) for me or not. Even when I got here, the first six months I was still weighing up whether I'd be able to repay them the faith they've had in me.

"They signed me after my history, they gave me a three-year deal opportunity. That's pretty lucky to be honest.

"I'm just grateful and proud that I've, in a way, been able to repay them for the faith they've had in me a little bit. I want to keep it on that trajectory."

McCarthy is just one of several players to shake off injury worries at the Gabba including fellow ex-Cat Nakia Cockatoo and key forward Joe Daniher.

The secret to the Lions' healing properties? There isn't one, as far as McCarthy is concerned.

"Sometimes things just click at the right time," he said.

"Can't discredit all the work that the guys do around the joint but it's hard to really know what the real factors are."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Forward Line Year in Review

Unsung Hero

Linc McCarthy

The importance of Lincoln McCarthy is never questioned inside the four walls of the Brisbane Lions, though externally the 29-year-old is at times underrated.

Perhaps it is due to being overshadowed at times by teammates and fellow forwards such as Charlie Cameron, Zac Bailey, Eric Hipwood or Joe Daniher.

Though for the second consecutive season McCarthy has booted more than 30 goals to be one of his side’s top four goal kickers.

The crafty forward’s two best performances were a bag of five goals against North Melbourne in Round 3 and a four-goal haul against GWS in Round 11.

His agility, speed and athleticism in the forward line make him always dangerous around the goals, while his forward line pressure is another great asset.

Oh, and of course he is one of the best to watch when flying high for a mark.

How 'Redeem Team' inspired high-powered Lions' improved defence

7Bk52ft5.jpg

PERHAPS no one encapsulates Brisbane's commitment on defence in 2023 more than half-forward Lincoln McCarthy.

After bowing out in last year's preliminary final to Geelong, the Lions made it their mission to apply themselves defensively as much as they did with their high-powered attack.

Following Saturday's win over the Cats at the Gabba, coach Chris Fagan revealed how his team drew inspiration from the 'Redeem Team' documentary during the pre-season, centred on the United States' 2008 Olympic basketball team.

The seemingly unbeatable Americans were rolled at the 2004 Games by Argentina, and led by superstar Kobe Bryant, made a commitment to ensure it didn't happen again in 2008.

"They'd lost their way, and all the big guns bought into defence, and they ended up winning the gold medal," Fagan said.

"It's been a bit of a theme of ours during the year – if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for us."

And McCarthy has, among many, been responsible for a tighter, more disciplined approach to that side of Brisbane's game.

Like half-forwards from recent premiers – Brad Close and Gryan Miers (Geelong), Alex Neal-Bullen and Charlie Spargo (Melbourne), and Kane Lambert and Jason Castagna (Richmond) – McCarthy has worked hard up and down the ground, with and without the ball.

Speaking on Tuesday ahead of Saturday's QClash against Gold Coast, the 29-year-old said the investment in defence was a whole team approach.

"Just because you're a forward, doesn't mean we can't invest in defence," he said.

"Essentially, we're the front line of defence. When the ball is in our 50, we've got to stop it from leaving.

"I think we had to lift to be honest, in a defensive way, and make sure that we all stay really connected with the other two lines, the mids and the defenders, and make life easy for them.

"I think we've seen a lot of progress in that regard. We've really invested in that."

Purely on points conceded – which is just one metric for defence – the Lions are ranked fifth this year compared to 10th in 2022.

They had conceded just one goal by the 20-minute mark of the third quarter to Geelong to highlight their discipline.

In four of their past five matches, the Lions have conceded eight goals or less.

McCarthy said the forward line had been more strategic this season in how to set the ground up, with himself, Charlie Cameron, Cam Rayner and Zac Bailey being a little more selective in their approach.

"Prior to this year, maybe us smalls would jump for balls that weren't potentially ours to be going for, and then that would leave the front of the contest really bare, and sides could just run straight out down the other end," he said.

"And we couldn't put pressure on that. That puts the defence under a lot of pressure.

"I think as we've played together a bit longer, we've practised some different methods around the contest.

"Our big guys can fly, or it might be a little guy that can fly, but it's just whoever's in the best spot to actually compete at that time and the rest of the guys hold their spot, get to work on the floor if the ball hits the ground and then we can be that front layer of defence."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back