Senior Lincoln McCarthy (2018-)

Remove this Banner Ad

From broken Cat to purring Lion: Brisbane unlocks Linc (Michael Whiting)
HIS BEST mate Lachie Neale stole the headlines in Sunday's JLT Series win over Hawthorn, but this Brisbane recruit also had a huge impact in his first game for his new club. After battling injury for much of his seven seasons at Geelong, Lincoln McCarthy has had an uninterrupted pre-season and the benefits were on show against the Hawks.

The numbers alone were impressive - 17 disposals, two goals and eight tackles – but it was his chase-from-behind pressure, ability to contest in the air and grunt work around the contest that really caught the eye. Following his off-season trade, 25-year-old McCarthy said Brisbane's medical team had been cautious, allowing him to take part in almost every session. His catalogue of problems in Cats colours included injuries to his groin, hip, back, foot and quad.

"I rocked up and I wasn't injured and that's a start," McCarthy said. "The boys knew my history and they've been really supportive and guided me really well through the training load and through the training program. "There's no major tricks to be able to play every week, you've got to put in a pre-season and that's what we were able to do. "It's nice to be able to have a bit of work in the legs even though I was cramping last quarter but that's pretty normal. "I've only finished 80 per cent of one pre-season. "It's exciting for me that I've got a bit of work behind me and hopefully that means there's more footy to come."

McCarthy didn't know many people when he moved to Brisbane with partner Tayla, but in Neale, he had an instant flatmate. The trio lived together until early in the new year when Neale's wife Julie joined him in Brisbane. On the field, McCarthy is now part of an exciting forward line that also includes Charlie Cameron, Cam Rayner and Eric Hipwood. "I feel like we've got a group of lads that have all got something different to bring," he said. "Those blokes have all got their own strengths, and a few of them. It brings a different look to the forward line, I guess, and opposition."

1551746601442.png

Gonna be a reruit that is just as important as Neale is too us. Makes great decisions when he has the ball, good kick, can take a mark and is equally good off the ground, can kick multiple goals and set others up. We now have a fantastic forward 6: McStay, Big O, Hipwood, Cameron, Rayner and McCarthy

Gonna be a reruit that is just as important as Neale is too us. Makes great decisions when he has the ball, good kick, can take a mark and is equally good off the ground, can kick multiple goals and set others up. We now have a fantastic forward 6: McStay, Big O, Hipwood, Cameron, Rayner and McCarthy
With another 5 or 6+ capable of floating through their and adding to the mix in Zorko, Taylor, Clugga, Berry, Lyons and Neale and Possibly even Bailey and Bundy to add to that mix as well.
Looks like a really good blend and 1 capable of mixing it with the best defensive groups in the league.
And think further afield with the blokes who can run from behind and kick long range goals in Rich and Witherden.
Mmmmm! Look out👀! If we can get things going?
One area where we have struggled in the last few years is the amount of goal kickers in games. But we have had 11 goal kickers in both of the JLT games so that is a positive sign.

With another 5 or 6+ capable of floating through their and adding to the mix in Zorko, Taylor, Clugga, Berry, Lyons and Neale and Possibly even Bailey and Bundy to add to that mix as well.
Looks like a really good blend and 1 capable of mixing it with the best defensive groups in the league.
And think further afield with the blokes who can run from behind and kick long range goals in Rich and Witherden.
Mmmmm! Look out👀! If we can get things going?
One area where we have struggled in the last few years is the amount of goal kickers in games. But we have had 11 goal kickers in both of the JLT games so that is a positive sign.
Our points for is good but if we want to start winning more games we need to reduce the points against number. Up around 94 points or something last year, if we can get it to around 80-85 points that would be pretty good imo

Our points for is good but if we want to start winning more games we need to reduce the points against number. Up around 94 points or something last year, if we can get it to around 80-85 points that would be pretty good imo
With the new rules that may not necessarily be as bad a figure as it was last year.
There is a possibility that most teams defensive averages may go up this year with those rule changes???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lincoln McCarthy: It creates belief (Michael Whiting)
Once the ball bounced to start the second quarter, that circuit breaker came in the form of two forwards with contrasting modes of operation who stepped up to turn the tide. Lincoln McCarthy chipped away at the dam wall with a combination of skill and nous and Charlie Cameron crashed right through it with blistering pace and clinical finishing.

The pair not only kicked seven goals between them – four to McCarthy and three to Cameron – but totally swung the game's momentum. Brisbane belted West Coast in the midfield, but on a terribly humid night that made it difficult to handle the ball, McCarthy and Cameron were clean and clinical.

After seven injury-ravaged seasons at Geelong, McCarthy is a feel-good poster boy for perseverance. He started roughly, giving away more free kicks (three) than he had disposals (two) in the opening term. But as he settled, so did Brisbane.

After a centre clearance and a long Dayne Zorko bomb from the opening bounce of the second quarter, McCarthy got to the feet of Dan McStay in textbook forward fashion to rove and cleverly snap on his left foot. Five minutes later he took a mark on the lead and calmly went back and steered through the set shot from 50m.

The deficit was just 16 points and the Lions were on their way. "I was pretty excited to be honest," McCarthy told AFL.com.au. "There's always a little bit of anxiety any time you play. "I was lucky enough to get on the end of some good play and kick a few goals and I guess that makes you feel a little more comfortable, so yeah, I was stoked."

After playing just 29 games in his seven seasons, McCarthy was nervous all week, said Brisbane coach Chris Fagan. "He's spent a lot of time out of the game injured. I'm surprised, to be honest, how well he's played so quickly. It speaks volumes about his talent and attitude," Fagan said. "Hopefully he just grows from there and gets a bit of confidence from it."

1553396637900.png

I reckon he owes McStay a beer or two.

One goal was Berry spotting him up for a mark, but the other three goals was a McStay tap to Lincoln out of a marking contest, a McStay shepherd on McGovern on the goal line, and a McStay hard ball get kicking off McCarthy running on to the ball in front of goal after a spilled mark.

UNSUNG HEROES — ROUND 1
Brisbane: Lincoln McCarthy

After almost walking away from the game at the end of last year, Brisbane Lions recruit made himself known at the Gabba on Saturday night. A rough start saw him give away more free kicks than he had disposals but as Brisbane chipped away at the quarter time deficit, McCarthy worked himself into the game. He finished with four goals, five score involvements and laid four tackles as Brisbane charged home to a 44-point win over the reigning premiers.
1553476953165.png

New Brisbane recruit Lincoln McCarthy leaves Chris Fagan surprised after dominant start (Josh Gabelich)
Brisbane spent a fortune luring star midfielder Lachie Neale from Fremantle last October, but it was a bargain buy who stole the show at the Gabba on Saturday night.

After managing only five appearances in his last two years — and just 29 in seven years at Geelong — Lincoln McCarthy produced his best performance of his injury-plagued career in his first game for Brisbane. It was almost as stunning as the result.

The 25-year-old kicked a career-high four goals and provided plenty of pressure inside 50, helping the Lions to a dramatic upset win over reigning premiers West Coast in his first game since being traded to Brisbane in exchange for a swap of third and fourth-round picks last October.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/match-centre/AFL20190204
c1bbe25a2e0d4f05b31370a022c9d7c8

Brisbane traded Picks 42 and 60 for Picks 54 and 57 — plus the South Australian.

Not long after the dust settled at the Gabba, Brisbane coach Chris Fagan was still beaming when reflecting on how well McCarthy had played in his first outing for the club.

“He’s been pretty nervous all week, Linc. He’s spent a lot of time out of the game injured. I’m surprised to be honest how well he has played so quickly,” Fagan said after the 44-point win.

“It speaks volumes for his talent and his attitude. Hopefully he grows from there and gets a bit of confidence from it. “Most times Linc has played footy he’s got injured and he’s been out for a few weeks. “His body stood up to a full pre-season and he got a bit of reward with four goals but he did some great tackling and other work too that was even more important for us.”

McCarthy was thrilled to not just bank his first win as a Lion and make an impact, but also share the moment with his close mate Neale, who was part of the reason why he chose to pursue a fresh start at the Gabba. “It is always nice to hit the scoreboard. I’ve never kicked four before,” McCarthy told lions.com.au. “I assume he is pretty stoked just like I am. We’ve got a bit of family up here. “We were all unsure of how we were going to go tonight, both as a team and individually. I think we’re pretty stoked with just getting a win first up — I don’t think we’ve won in Round 1 for a few years — so we’re absolutely rapt.”

In-form Brisbane recruit injured again, out of Port clash (Michael Whiting)
BRISBANE forward Lincoln McCarthy will miss Saturday night's game against Port Adelaide with injury. McCarthy suffered a rib cartilage injury in last weekend's win against North Melbourne and will not be named in the Lions' squad on Thursday night. He is expected to miss just the one match.

McCarthy has had a fantastic first fortnight for Brisbane since his off-season move from Geelong, kicking six goals in the victories over West Coast and the Kangaroos. The 25-year-old has had a horrible run with injury through his career, playing 29 games in seven seasons at the Cats before moving north. McCarthy has missed time with groin, hip, back, foot and quad injuries but is coming off an uninterrupted pre-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back