Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh man like all these people have PAFC filters, banner images or pictures of them in port gear as their picture.

This is the best group to piss off. The boomer clappers lmao.
You ageist prick, I'm offended (again).

Its like there is a rule, if you are under 30 you can be ******* offended by anything and everything, but you see someone with gray hair that owns their own house THEN OFFEND THE s**t OUT OF THEM FKG BOOMERS.

Its like there is a rule, if you are under 30 you can be ******* offended by anything and everything, but you see someone with gray hair that owns their own house THEN OFFEND THE s**t OUT OF THEM FKG BOOMERS.
BLOODY WELL SAID

I love you... Even if you are old with Gray hair.

People want to defend “anti-social” “dirty” acts and be commended for it!?

They are called “anti-social” and “dirty” for a reason. You can’t defend these things seeking popularity.

People will be against you. You can either take the heat and hold the position or change your opinion.

Whining in public isn’t an option.

I've always wondered, when two people with hyphenated surnames get married, do they go the quadruple or do they spontaneously combust? Pls confirm.

We don’t hyphenate here. For instance, I am “Tellechea Sanchotene”. Tellechea comes from my mother; Sanchotene, from my father.

Following the same logic, my kids are “Hartke Sanchotene”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always wondered, when two people with hyphenated surnames get married, do they go the quadruple or do they spontaneously combust? Pls confirm.
I went triple!!
We put one of the names as a ‘middle name’.

Interesting useless stat, from the Useless Stat gang

1713418659113.png

Why is this interesting.... Well because I'm sick of sitting there watching us miss these 50m shots, often from simple uncontested handball receives. I understand that they aren't necessarily the easiest shots, but our 'superboots' miss these shots far too often. If they're all correct, these stats confirm the frustration, pointing out that our % from those >50m shots is a league 4 worst @ 23%.

There's a huge gap between us at 23% and the a few of our prime contenders. GWS 38%, Carlton/Collingwood/Brisbane 35%, Sydney 33%, Melb 32%

We've also had the most attempts, yet we have only kicked 23 of 98. That's seriously piss poor.

View attachment 1962993

Why is this interesting.... Well because I'm sick of sitting there watching us miss these 50m shots, often from simple uncontested handball receives. I understand that they aren't necessarily the easiest shots, but our 'superboots' miss these shots far too often. If they're all correct, these stats confirm the frustration, pointing out that our % from those >50m shots is a league 4 worst @ 23%.

There's a huge gap between us at 23% and the a few of our prime contenders. GWS 38%, Carlton/Collingwood/Brisbane 35%, Sydney 33%, Melb 32%

We've also had the most attempts, yet we have only kicked 23 of 98. That's seriously piss poor.
Scoring Percentage doesn't vary much between last and first
So number of shots / inside 50's literally shapes that table

Maybe Kenny the Genius is onto something :think:

Last edited:

View attachment 1962993

That data also points out that we have the second highest percentage of shots taken from outside 50 in the comp, behind carlton. So we attempt the second most, but have one of the worst success rates.

Scoring Percentage doesn't vary much between last and first
So number of total shots literally shapes that table

Maybe Kenny the Genius is onto something :think:
The difference in percentage is 18.97% - Carlton is literally twice as good as Hawthorn, that's not a small variance at all.

View attachment 1962993

That's partly because the receiver is making a dumb call ie Burton a right footer is calling for the handball on the players left hand side and if an oppo player is close by the right foot kick is squeezed or has to run around wider to be more balanced on his right foot.

Same deal with Houston, and opposite situation for left footer Farrell calls for ball on right hand side of player with the ball.

Some times the ball is going backwards and to the side rather than forward and to the side so the kick has to be a bloody long kick.

Sometimes its a bloody bad handball and the player isn't really steady with the ball when he kicks.

If the handball isn't going forward or at worst 90 degrees from the delivering player and onto the correct side for the kicker and into some decent space so the kicker isn't squeezed or rushed then its highly unlikely they will kick a goal.

We were arrogant against the West Coast and having to many big bomb shots from 50-60m out, doing the incorrect things I mentioned above, as well as set shots from 50-60m out and lots of points as per graphic below.

1713421812026.png

The Richmond game we only had 4 shots from outside 50m 1.1 from set shots and 0.2 from general play. The graphics are in the Inside 50's into Goals thread.

Against Melbourne it was 7 shots from 50+m out, 3 set shots that didn't score 1.1 from set shots and 1.1 from general play.

Against Essendon it was 5 shots from 50+m as we dominated and ran the ball past the 50m arc. 1 set shot didn't score, 1 set shot scored a goal and another 1 a point. 1.1 was kicked from general play.

Against Freo we had 7 shots. 3 didn't score and other 4 scored 1.3. Set shots were 0.0 - 2 misses, General play 1.3 - 1 miss.

The Black and White Noise nails it again, in his blog article today.

If you finish top 4 you need to win 3 in a row against other top 4 sides, starting with winning the QF to give yourself the best chance to win a flag against other top 4 sides. Occasionally a top 4 side losses the QF and makes it to the GF.

The triple heavy weight champions in Brisbane in 2003, Hawthorn in 2015 and Richmond in 2020, lost the QF and then won a flag under the current finals system that started in 2000.

In 2005 and 2006 when Sydney and West Coast were in that 10 game run of tight finishes, the side that lost the QF won the GF rematch, by the same margin, ie Sydney 4pts in 2005 and WCE by 1pt in 2006.

We are none of the above.

If you finish 5th to 8th then you will face a top 4 side in the SF, win that, then again in the PF and so far since 2000, you have a 100% chance in the GF of playing a top 4 side.

Stuff Rucci and co banging on about Hinkley's great minor round win record of 60%. If you can't win 3 in a row against top 4 sides in the minor round, for over a decade, you aren't all of a sudden going to start doing it in September.

And given a 22% winning record against top 4 teams over Hinkley’s tenure, and the fact that 3 such wins in a row are required to win a premiership, the lack of belief is perhaps not surprising. In fact if you do the maths on winning 3 of those games in a row, with a 22% win rate, it works out to a roughly 2% chance of winning a flag, even after finishing in the top 4 at the end of the minor round.

Once again this is not new. We spoke about it at the end of 2023 in our article “the games that mean a thing”.

Current club President David Koch has been quoted as saying “We don’t want players who are living their dream just by playing AFL footy, we want players who want to win a premiership. If they’re not prepared… they’re not players that we want”.

Let’s hope this thinking extends to the coaches, board members and presidents, because as previously stated it takes 3 wins in a row against top 4 quality teams to win a flag.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back