Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean how could it not be at least a week? He king hit him in the back of the neck and with the way the AFL are now he'll be lucky if he just gets the two weeks
King hit him? Bit of an exaggeration 😆 he didn't knock him out.

Going by Chol's last week, it will be a week at most.

King hit him? Bit of an exaggeration 😆

Going by Chol's last week, it will be a week at most.
Of course, but it's not far off at all. Cowardly punch from behind where Acres was defenceless to it. Sure it wasn't his head but the neck is just as, if not more, vulnerable. I know it's Carlscum but it was a shocking act from him and completely unjustified, coming from someone who is a supporter of his.

You have obviously been watching the game on TV or with blinkers on. When at the game you appreciate his constant gut running all over the field, his pressure, tackles, shepards & 1%'s

Spot on.

People just need to forget what we paid for him and judge him for the position he plays as a pressure forward.

We could have waited and used our first pick on a kid who would probably be speculative at best and wouldn't part of our next flag, which is now btw and the next few years. It was an astute pick as was sullivan
I don't understand how this draftees can't impact is suddenly the prevailing wisdom, when the biggest factor in our premiership was a 2nd year draftee in Nick Daicos.

Our 2022 prelim run loss by a point was also helped immensely by a 40 goal 2nd year Ginnivan and 2nd year pacy McCreery transforming our previously uninspiring small forward line.

Our 2018 GF run was sparked by a rising star 1st year Stephenson who was the big difference to the list after 4 years of no finals.

Our 2010 premiership had 2nd year first round pick Sidebottom and second round pick Beams as pivotal players. Incidentally picks in a similar range to what was traded for Schultz.

I don't understand how this draftees can't impact is suddenly the prevailing wisdom, when the biggest factor in our premiership was a 2nd year draftee in Nick Daicos.

Our 2022 prelim run loss by a point was also helped immensely by a 40 goal 2nd year Ginnivan and 2nd year pacy McCreery transforming our previously uninspiring small forward line.

Our 2018 GF run was sparked by a rising star 1st year Stephenson who was the big difference to the list after 4 years of no finals.

Our 2010 premiership had 2nd year first round pick Sidebottom and second round pick Beams as pivotal players. Incidentally picks in a similar range to what was traded for Schultz.
We won. We are 4 wins 1 draw and back on track. Enjoy the weekend

IMG_0216.jpeg

You have obviously been watching the game on TV or with blinkers on. When at the game you appreciate his constant gut running all over the field, his pressure, tackles, shepards & 1%'s
I have been to every game in Melbourne.

I don’t have issues with his performance per se. I have issues with his performance relative to the cost of getting him. A second d round and future first round pick.

If he cost us just a second round pick, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. But he cost us much more than that, so we should expect more.

He did no more than Harrison or Sullivan who we got for Pick 51 and a preseason pick respectively.

I don’t have issues with his performance per se. I have issues with his performance relative to the cost of getting him. A second d round and future first round pick.

If he cost us just a second round pick, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. But he cost us much more than that, so we should expect more.

He did no more than Harrison or Sullivan who we got for Pick 51 and a preseason pick respectively.
Let it go. He's a Pie player now. Get used to it.

There’s plenty of examples of busts to but keep up the confirmation bias

If the Schultz trade ended up being the following, would it be okay?

Ginnivan, pick 24 pick 34 and pick 74 traded for Schultz and pick 28

That's close to best case.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schultz is getting better and better the more games he plays with us, understanding our system.

Most tackles out of any of our forwards last night.

A couple of decisions he would like to have back but he wasn't alone, it was extremely loud out there.

AFL stats has him as 7th most tackles for forwards so far this year, but they list James Jordan and Tom Sparrow as Forwards, which they are not, so really he is 5th for most tackles for all AFL forwards this year, McCreery is 3rd.

So we now have 2 forwards that are in the top 7 tacklers in the entire comp.

The coaches knew what they were paying for with Schultz, and they knew getting another elite pressure forward that can snag his fair share of goals would elevate this team.

Those saying he wasn't worth what we paid have to ask themselves, what would be the point in using a first round pick on a kid that most likely isn't going to make the team instantly better to threaten at going back to back?

None of last years or this years picks between 10-20 would even break into this Collingwood team, those saying we paid too much are beyond clueless.

No pick between picks 10-20 are going to be in the top 7 for tackles out of 100+ AFL forwards straight away, and the chances of a pick between 10-20 ever being that good after putting years into them are extremely ****in slim.

stupid act. Deserved a week.
Made some horrible skill errors…..but we actually encourage the attempt.
So no issues in my book.

He’s absolutely transformed our HF line as Bobby did last year defensively.

Why are people focusing on stats?

Would Ginni have gotten back for that ball in the 2nd?
Would Ginni have run 150M to be an easy handball for Bobby last week?

He had 2-3 multiple tackle efforts that went unrewarded. Multiple high contact and holding as well. Which all players get. But he’s a finals player in the way he plays.

I do wonder why we're now a forward half retention beast??
Any ideas?

Where as last year we were defensive slingshot but an forward defensive liability.

Maybe stop looking at possessions and look at why we score goals and the actions that ultimately cause them.

I’m tipping the pies hierarchy are pretty happy with how he’s adjusting.

Schultz is getting better and better the more games he plays with us, understanding our system.

A couple of decisions he would like to have back but he wasn't alone, it was extremely loud out there.

AFL stats has him as 7th most tackles for forwards so far this year, but they list James Jordan and Tom Sparrow as Forwards, which they are not, so really he is 5th for most tackles for all AFL forwards this year, McCreery is 3rd.

The coaches knew what they were paying for with Schultz, and they knew getting another elite pressure forward that can snag his fair share of goals would elevate this team.

Those saying he wasn't worth what we paid have to ask themselves, what would be the point in using a first round pick on a kid that most likely isn't going to make the team instantly better to threaten at going back to back?

None of last years or this years picks between 10-20 would even break into this Collingwood team, those saying we paid too much are beyond clueless.

No pick between picks 10-20 are going to be in the top 7 for tackles out of 100+ AFL forwards straight away, and the chances of a pick between 10-20 ever being that good after putting years into them are extremely *in slim.
good post

however, price is always relevant and your entire argument relies on "Schultz being the one or at the very least, contributing to us 'threatening to go back2back'! I don't see it.

play HH instead of Schultz and what's the delta in output (this year and into the future)?

sure, ya likely get more tackles outta Schultz but HH by the end of the year and into next, will be a mainstay, is a powerful unit, is quicker, has cleaner hands, is arguably better with ball-in-hand (right now) and wears a headband.

in fact, even on last night's outing, you could argue that HH contributed significantly to us winning the game ..1 goal, tap to Nick (goal); handball to Lippa (goal); handball to Sullivan (goal); D50 intercept mark, surrounded by Blues, when scores were level

ps: if it was HH or a first year player that gave away 4 free kicks in Q4, turned the ball over another couple of times, directly resulting in goal (or two?) conceded, he'd seriously be under the pump.

pps: all the focus with Schultz is on his tackling & defensive game (great) but little to no comment on his double-grabbing, poor to no creativity & inability to gain separation from his direct opponent ..he seems to-date limited in his ability when he gets it.

ppps: seriously hope he proves me wrong but at this stage ..

Last edited:
good post

however, price is always relevant and your entire argument relies on "Schultz being the one or at the very least, contributing to us 'threatening to go back2back'! I don't see it.

play HH instead of Schultz and what's the delta in output (this year and into the future)?

sure, ya likely get more tackles outta Schultz but HH by the end of the year and into next, will be a mainstay, is a powerful unit, is quicker, has cleaner hands, is arguably better with ball-in-hand (right now) and wears a headband.

in fact, even on last night's outing, you could argue that HH contributed significantly to us wining the game ..1 goal, tap to Nick (goal); handball to Lippa (goal); D50 intercept mark, surrounded by Blues, when scores were level

ps: if it was HH or a first year player that gave away 4 free kicks in Q4, turned the ball over another couple of times, directly resulting in goal (or two?) conceded, he'd seriously be under the pump.

pps: all the focus with Schultz is on his tackling & defensive game (great) but little to no comment on his double-grabbing, poor to no creativity & inability to gain separation from his direct opponent ..he seems to-date limited in his ability when he gets it.

ppps: seriously hope he proves me wrong but at this stage ..
Maybe worth reviewing comments by Frampton last year and again by Ginni this year.

Frampton last year: this system is completely different to anything I’ve ever seen. So it’s really big learning curve.

Ginni: it was really hard to play in pies fwd line at times.

Maybe Ginni struggled because he was wasn’t fast and could run the way we needed?

I really don’t get this targeted vitriol for a player that is an absolute clear upgrade?!?

I’m absolutely stoked with what Shooter is providing to date. If it’s a final….hes doing exactly what we want!

No pick between picks 10-20 are going to be in the top 7 for tackles out of 100+ AFL forwards straight away, and the chances of a pick between 10-20 ever being that good after putting years into them are extremely *in slim.
How can you say no draftee can ever be that good at tackling when you literally just listed McCreery as ranking above Schultz and we got him as a pick 44 where he became best 22 in year 1? If we were to trade McCreery, we wouldn't get a first and second round for him even though he's a better pressure forward than Schultz, is younger, better athletic traits and higher upside.

No pick 10-20 will break into this Collingwood side? Have you watched Darcy Wilson play? You don't think he'd get a game above Sullivan/HH/Markov? He would be a good candidate to replace Sidebottom this year as a winger who's output has fallen off a cliff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back