Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

He didn't star but he was not the worst. He played high to support the midfield, had 7 tackles, 2 of which led to goals for us. He kicked a goal. Should have had 2 frees within 30m and was unlucky not to have had 3.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep, this. I think from both teams, only Pendles and Crisp had more tackles, and he was also top 5 or 6 for pressure for the match. The kick across the ground was a howler but every footballer makes mistakes in either decision making or execution at some stage. He showed again tonight why we recruited him.

You can see he’s busting his chops all year. Hasn’t quite hit his straps. He’s teased us occasionally. He’s starting to get frustrated, giving away frees.

Time for a mid season sojourn to the Murray river to have some R&R. Take some personal leave for a week. Come back refreshed.

He's our 4th best goal kicker for the season.

HT to Nips Devine from EBnW for this list.

COLLINGWOOD 2024 GOALKICKERS
14 - Mihocek
14 - Elliott
10 - Hill
9 - Schultz
8 - Lipinski
6 - NDaicos
6 - McInnes
6 - McCreery
5 - Hoskin-Elliott
4 - Cameron
3 - Cox
2 - DeGoey
2 - Crisp
2 - Pendelbury
2 - JDaicos
2 - Maynard
2 - Harrison
1 - Mitchell
1 - Sullivan

Last edited:
He was umpired to a different set of rules tonight. He should've got at least 2 frees in front of goal
He was clearly frustrated. I can never criticise a player who gives his absolute all at every contest. And he does. You can see how much it means to him.

Was he a Pies supporter growing up? Because he really doesn't like Blues. And I love that.

Last edited:
We’re on to 9 weeks of excuses as to why he hasn’t performed.

He’s going to have a break out game, he’s going to do this or that.

He is underperforming and knows it. Tonight he starting doing dumb things.
You have obviously been watching the game on TV or with blinkers on. When at the game you appreciate his constant gut running all over the field, his pressure, tackles, shepards & 1%'s

A bit fumbly. Maybe trying too hard. Seems like an angry little thing.
At least he had 7 tackles.

An 'almost' game. Just needs that 1 game kicking 4 goals and getting his confidence back.
spot on Barbarino, he looks like he's afraid to make mistakes atm. By the end of the season, that will pass

We’re on to 9 weeks of excuses as to why he hasn’t performed.

He’s going to have a break out game, he’s going to do this or that.

He is underperforming and knows it. Tonight he starting doing dumb things.
It’s funny I thought it was one of the more solid 9 possession games I’ve seen. He had three moments where you’re thinking come on Shoota, but all of that was countered by his 2nd quarter goal how he marked that I’ll never know. He’s down this year, but we smashed them in the pressure game and he was a huge factor in that. I shouldn’t be surprised people still don’t rate that when it’s the most important part of our game yet here we are…

spot on Barbarino, he looks like he's afraid to make mistakes atm. By the end of the season, that will pass
How does a 26 year old that's meant to come ready to go get leeway until end of the season to come good whilst a developing young player like Macrae and Reef gets 3 games as sub and then dropped.

If anything Macrae and Reef should be given the block of games to settle in to see if they can develop in the AFL whilst Schultz needs to consistently perform as expected of an "elite" small forward or he's dropped to find form in the VFL.

People have a go at Mitchell saying he's past it when his worse games are never as bad as Schultz's worst games and his best games are truly match winning. That should be the standard expected from an "elite" experienced trade in. He's not some developing small forward with potentially high massive upside. He's here for what he can deliver right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does a 26 year old that's meant to come ready to go get leeway until end of the season to come good whilst a developing young player like Macrae and Reef gets 3 games as sub and then dropped.

If anything Macrae and Reef should be given the block of games to settle in to see if they can develop in the AFL whilst Schultz needs to consistently perform as expected of an "elite" small forward or he's dropped to find form in the VFL.
He is already good, by the end of the year he'll feel much more comfortable. I wouldn't be dropping him for Reef or Fin. Players can develop just as good in the VFL, especially if the club feels they need to work on stuff

Because he’s doing what we recruited him to do. What he’s doing off ball with pressure, tackling and cover run is what he was recruited for and he’s elite in those areas. The goals and assists are cream on top with him, but it’s what gives you nourishment hence looking like he’s forcing it.

He is already good, by the end of the year he'll feel much more comfortable. I wouldn't be dropping him for Reef or Fin. Players can develop just as good in the VFL, especially if the club feels they need to work on stuff
I'm not sure of the standard you classify as good. But of our small forwards in Elliott, Hill, McCreery and Schultz, Schultz would be the first in line for me to be dropped if someone like a Harvey Harrison really cements his spot in the side as another small forward.

Defensively he's been very good, 31 pressure acts today. Some big tackles & does chase & harass well.

Offensively, however, he's nowhere near good enough yet. Obviously it takes time to learn the system and fit in, but I'm still a bit disappointed. 8 goals from 7 games isn't enough.
8 goals from 7 games is close to a 30 goal a year season. That's spot on for what you would expect.

8 goals from 7 games is close to a 30 goal a year season. That's spot on for what you would expect.
He kicked 30 and 33 in his last two seasons at Freo. So unsure why we’re expecting him to kick 70 goals. His pressure last night was immense despite some boneheaded errors. On track for 10+ tackles almost

We could have waited and used our first pick on a kid who would probably be speculative at best and wouldn't part of our next flag, which is now btw and the next few years. It was an astute pick as was sullivan

We could have waited and used our first pick on a kid who would probably be speculative at best and wouldn't part of our next flag, which is now btw and the next few years. It was an astute pick as was sullivan
He also averaged a goal or two a game at Freo with some bags in between too.

Last year he scored a goal in all but six games, so far this season he’s scored in all but two.

Yes I get he’ll have more heat on him due to what we paid but so far he’s doing solidly

I don't think he played horribly, 10 disposals, 7 tackles and a goal that was incredibly needed at the time is enough to keep his spot (if he doesn't end up getting weeks that is). Far from impressive for what we got for him I know but keep in mind he was recruited with the idea that we'd have a healthy McStay running around our forward line. With Elliot still in the team it's hard for him to really cement himself as that primary small-forward target so in the meantime he is doing the grunt work of putting pressure on through tackles.

Schultz wasn't a "buy a flag" sort of pickup, it's far more long-term. He's a victim of people's expectations

Anyway, he's probably earned himself a couple weeks off which gives him time to reset.

I don't think he played horribly, 10 disposals, 7 tackles and a goal that was incredibly needed at the time is enough to keep his spot (if he doesn't end up getting weeks that is). Far from impressive for what we got for him I know but keep in mind he was recruited with the idea that we'd have a healthy McStay running around our forward line. With Elliot still in the team it's hard for him to really cement himself as that primary small-forward target so in the meantime he is doing the grunt work of putting pressure on through tackles.

Schultz wasn't a "buy a flag" sort of pickup, it's far more long-term. He's a victim of people's expectations

Anyway, he's probably earned himself a couple weeks off which gives him time to reset.
A couple of weeks off? 😆

Remove this Banner Ad

Back