Traded Josh Dunkley - [Traded with F3 (Melb), F3 to Brisbane for #21, F1, F2, F4 (Geel)]

Remove this Banner Ad

If you don't have the self-discipline not to attack other posters and derail the thread with crap every other time you post, thread bans will be applied.

Mods are not here to babysit.

Reporting bad posts instead of replying to them would also be extremely helpful if you wish to continue posting here.

Can someone explain to me why Essendon refused to put their future first on the table for Dunkley when they were pursuing him in 2020? I remember Dodoro adamantly declaring their future first pick would not be part of the deal.

Essendon claimed they made a fair offer for him, but it was always ridiculous to even attempt that when the Dogs were going to select Ugle-Hagan through an expensive bid. Common sense would suggest entail using the future first round pick to get around that issue, but Dodoro didn't want to trade it for some reason. In the end, Essendon missed out on an A-Grade big-bodied midfielder who has clearly had a big impact at Brisbane.

Can someone explain to me why Essendon refused to put their future first on the table for Dunkley when they were pursuing him in 2020? I remember Dodoro adamantly declaring their future first pick would not be part of the deal.

Essendon claimed they made a fair offer for him, but it was always ridiculous to even attempt that when the Dogs were going to select Ugle-Hagan through an expensive bid. Common sense would suggest entail using the future first round pick to get around that issue, but Dodoro didn't want to trade it for some reason. In the end, Essendon missed out on an A-Grade big-bodied midfielder who has clearly had a big impact at Brisbane.
Josh Dunkley isn't worth 2 top 10 picks. Simple.

Because Essendon usually don't make great list management decisions.

Because Essendon usually don't make great list management decisions.
Trading 2 top 10 picks for Josh Dunkley would've been one of the more dumber decisions Dodoro made.

The Bulldogs wanted 2 firsts.

Champ.
Going from two top 10 picks to two firsts? Backpedaling much?

And what does this have to do with Dodoro refusing to put the future first on the table?

At the end of the day, Brisbane ended up with the A-Grade midfielder, who proceeded to have a great year and help them reach the Grand Final. Essendon haven't won a final since 2004.

We had 7 and a future 2nd (32) as the last offer.
I guess at the time we looked an absolute basket case.
Could very well have given up pick 7 plus a top 5 pick

Trading 2 top 10 picks for Josh Dunkley would've been one of the more dumber decisions Dodoro made.
Now you're moving back to two top 10 picks? :$

Mate, your club hasn't won a finals match since 2004. Dodoro has made nothing but dumb decisions in 20 years. Naturally this includes refusing to even contemplate trading the future first(2021) for Josh Dunkley.

Going from two top 10 picks to two firsts? Backpedaling much?

And what does this have to do with Dodoro refusing to put the future first on the table?

At the end of the day, Brisbane ended up with the A-Grade midfielder, who proceeded to have a great year and help them reach the Grand Final. Essendon haven't won a final since 2004.
It's the same thing. Our first and future first were top 10 picks.

Even if he put the future first on the table the Dogs, as was their right, wanted 2 of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now you're moving back to two top 10 picks? :$

Mate, your club hasn't won a finals match since 2004. Dodoro has made nothing but dumb decisions in 20 years. Naturally this includes refusing to even contemplate trading the future first(2021) for Josh Dunkley.
Fully agree.

I forgot trading was done in hindsight.
It's not, but if your club is aware that your list management team are not the greatest at picking talent via the draft, then two top end first round picks aren't as worthy to you than they may be to others, so Dunkley was probably the safe bet.

Anyway, it's irrelevant, he's at Brisbane now.

We had 7 and a future 2nd (32) as the last offer.
I guess at the time we looked an absolute basket case.

Could very well have given up pick 7 plus a top 5 pick
At the time? You still look like an absolute basket case looking back.

Again, everyone knew the Bulldogs were taking Ugle-Hagan this draft, and it was going to require a lot of points capital. What good is pick 7 to the Bulldogs in 2020? It would just get absorbed by their bid.

Common sense would be to offer the Doggies something involving your future first that year (2021 first round pick), but Dodoro went on the radio to shut down the idea, claiming their future pick is absolutely off-limits. Ended up using it on Ben Hobbs the following year.

I just find it extremely strange that your club would chase a player like Dunkley (who was contracted), understanding the Doggies situation at the draft, yet keep trying to offer them 2020 draft picks.

It's not, but if your club is aware that your list management team are not the greatest at picking talent via the draft, then two top end first round picks aren't as worthy to you than they may be to others, so Dunkley was probably the safe bet.

Anyway, it's irrelevant, he's at Brisbane now.
Josh Dunkley isn't worth 2 top 10 picks now or then. It was stupid to even try and go for him. I said that about roughly 300 times when it happened and I stand by it now.

At the time? You still look like an absolute basket case looking back.

Again, everyone knew the Bulldogs were taking Ugle-Hagan this draft, and it was going to require a lot of points capital. What good is pick 7 to the Bulldogs in 2020? It would just get absorbed by their bid.

Common sense would be to offer the Doggies something involving your future first that year (2021 first round pick), but Dodoro went on the radio to shut down that idea, claiming that pick is absolutely off-limits. Ended up using it on Ben Hobbs the following year.

I just find it extremely strange that your club would chase a player like Dunkley (who was contracted), understanding the Doggies situation at the draft, yet keep trying to offer them 2020 draft picks.
Maybe you don't know Adrian Dodoro as well as you think you do.

Josh Dunkley isn't worth 2 top 10 picks now or then. It was stupid to even try and go for him. I said that about roughly 300 times when it happened and I stand by it now.
If those 2 top 10 picks were in the hands of someone not named Dodoro I'd agree with you.

It's the same thing. Our first and future first were top 10 picks.

Even if he put the future first on the table the Dogs, as was their right, wanted 2 of them.
Um, no they weren't champ. Your future first ended up being pick 13, which was used on Ben Hobbs.

The whole point of my question is that Dodoro refused to put the future pick on the table under any circumstances. Who are you to say what the Dogs would or wouldn't have accepted? At the very least your future first should've been the starting point.

If those 2 top 10 picks were in the hands of someone not named Dodoro I'd agree with you.
Even Dodoro has got picks right occasionally.

Dunkley wasn't going to propel us up the ladder. It was a bone headed dumbass idea to chase him.

Um, no they weren't champ. Your future first ended up being pick 13, which was used on Ben Hobbs.

The whole point of my question is that Dodoro refused to put the future pick on the table under any circumstances. Who are you to say what the Dogs would or wouldn't have accepted? At the very least your future first should've been the starting point.
Yes in hindsight.

At the time we were coming off 6.5? wins and losing two of our best players. Who'd have predicted we'd make finals. No one.

It's not just me. Plenty of media outlets said it https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...d/news-story/8546fdc159549e8b81181cb877f94bf7

The Bulldogs were seeking two first-round picks from Essendon for the 23-year-old,

Dunkley wasn't going to propel us up the ladder. It was a bone headed dumbass idea to chase him.
Please.
A player like Josh Dunkley is exactly what your club needed 4 years ago, and is still exactly the kind of player you need right now.
Wasn't going to propel you up the ladder? What kind of rationale is that? Are there any players that can single-handedly propel a team up the ladder? At the end of the day, clubs target player that give them the best chance at improvement, and Dunkley to this day would be a perfect fit.
Failing to complete that trade hasn't done Essendon much good has it?

I don't think it was terrible, of course you know your list more than I do, but just from a pure team point of view, you guys made finals in 2019, slipped down in 2020 and then made it again in 2021, so you were there abouts, and at the time he was only 23.

If it were me I would've used the draft picks as well for what it's worth, I just don't rate Dodoros use of the picks so I'm in the camp of having a relatively proven commodity over speculative picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back