MRP / Trib. Jeremy Finlayson incident

Remove this Banner Ad

He used the c word for people who enjoy a nice cold serve of that Italian treat "fell-ahh-tio".
Got it.

Ok. So there’s the issue. AC gets a fine and JF gets rubbed out. Not acceptable. If the AFL feel the need to use precedent when a comment by AC in 2024 is blatantly off limits then we’ve got a problem. The penalty clarkson got is what JF should have got.

Shocking double standards.

I mean, are people scared of AC?

If I was finlayson I would make the counter argument that I want the Essendon players to get banned to referring to me as “he said” when they went to the umps and league. They don’t know what I identify as and that’s harmful to me and the wider community. I want them all to get 3 to 6 game bans

If I was finlayson I would make the counter argument that I want the Essendon players to get banned to referring to me as “he said” when they went to the umps and league. They don’t know what I identify as and that’s harmful to me and the wider community. I want them all to get 3 to 6 game bans
See yourself out….

OH MY GOD! THE WITTIEST JAPE EVER HEARD!

Word 1 : one who performs fellatio —often used as a generalized term of abuse

Word 2 : a gay person —used as a term of abuse and disparagement

Which is worse?
Shouldnt be about which is worse, should be about which one is acceptable in any setting never mind being a workplace and the answer to that is neither.

But typical AFL, go soft on one of the boys club thinking it'll never happen again only to have it bite them on the arse soon after when it does.
Then play linguistic gymnastics to come up with why this was worse than that and to justify going harder.
Then double down and suggest they 'got it wrong' with Clarko in this instance and Maynard over the bump because its too late to change those weak decisions so you know..how convenient

The weird thing about offensive words and statements is they aren't offensive until someone takes offensive.
I reckon there is a fair chance whatever was said has been said multiple times by multiple players in multiple games but this time round it hit a nerve, just saying.
These are young men with adrenaline pumping in a fierce competition, there will be expletives.

And no I'm not condoning it, I'm not Racist, Xenophobic, Homophobic, Genophobic (probably a word by now) just a realist.

The weird thing about offensive words and statements is they aren't offensive until someone takes offensive.
I reckon there is a fair chance whatever was said has been said multiple times by multiple players in multiple games but this time round it hit a nerve, just saying.
These are young men with adrenaline pumping in a fierce competition, there will be expletives.

And no I'm not condoning it, I'm not Racist, Xenophobic, Homophobic, Genophobic (probably a word by now) just a realist.

I'd say it’s far more likely that a section of the AFL playing group have worked it out but some are still behaving like it’s country ‘thugball’ from the 1970s.

We see it in guys like Maynard and Pickett’s on field behaviour - they haven’t got their head around ‘no head high shots’…Maynard was lucky..but that doesn’t weaken my point

- Anyone that thinks they can call someone a ‘fa$&*t in the workplace and get away with it is a fool.

The AFL’s read on Clarkos noun is a little more debatable - the perjorative could simply be he meant the other guy was a known crawler….although it’s a stretch.

Shouldnt be about which is worse, should be about which one is acceptable in any setting never mind being a workplace and the answer to that is neither.

But typical AFL, go soft on one of the boys club thinking it'll never happen again only to have it bite them on the arse soon after when it does.
Then play linguistic gymnastics to come up with why this was worse than that and to justify going harder.
Then double down and suggest they 'got it wrong' with Clarko in this instance and Maynard over the bump because its too late to change those weak decisions so you know..how convenient

Clarko was guilty of abusing an opposition player

Finlayson is guilty of using an offensive homophobic slur

They ARE different.

Clarko was guilty of abusing an opposition player

Finlayson is guilty of using an offensive homophobic slur

They ARE different.
No they AREN'T.

If I say what Clarko said to a Woman it suggests she likes to give oral pleasure to Men and is therefore Hetrosexual.

If I say what Clarko said to a Man it too suggests he likes to give oral pleasure, only to other Men, which means he must be labelling him Homosexual.
Calling a Hetero Man a Homosexual is a sex based slur.

It was reported at the time as a homosexual slur, its only been watered down now to justify the stark difference in response.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No they AREN'T.

If I say what Clarko said to a Woman it suggests she likes to give oral pleasure to Men and is therefore Hetrosexual.

If I say what Clarko said to a Man it too suggests he likes to give oral pleasure, only to other Men, which means he must be labelling him Homosexual.
Calling a Hetero Man a Homosexual is a sex based slur.

It was reported at the time as a homosexual slur, its only been watered down now to justify the stark difference in response.
No…not exactly correct. A CS can also be a groveller or a crawler, someone who’ll do anything to obtain favour - Yes?

That’s where the AFL drew the wrong line - but I would also say Clarkson’s intent was PROBABLY what you described.

Without writing it can you give me a glue what he said. I know it started with the F word.
I guess I can write it if i'm quoting somebody. John Peters on Triple M. Early nineties. For those who don't remember, John was a DJ and he also wrote for Countdown. Without making excuses for him, I guess he was trying to be a shock jock, probably inspired by Stern, anyway, he played I Want To Break Free, and at the end of the track he says 'Nothing like a bit of FM - f** Music'. I was in a newsagent on Swanston Street about 9am when he said that. 30 years later I still remember it, that's how disgusted I was. Now players get 3 weeks for saying it.

No…not exactly correct. A CS can also be a groveller or a crawler, someone who’ll do anything to obtain favour - Yes?

That’s where the AFL drew the wrong line - but I would also say Clarkson’s intent was PROBABLY what you described.
I dont think they drew the wrong line as it was originally labelled a homophobic slur which drew a response.
Only now has what he said been considered less offensive to justify the different responses.

Bored The Office GIF

I dont think they drew the wrong line as it was originally labelled a homophobic slur which drew a response.
Only now has what he said been considered less offensive to justify the different responses.
WTF?

It’s ‘language’

The multiple inferences are what we live with every day - or does your corner shop always get it right first time. ?

You call any male a CS….and the implication is background dependent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back