MRP / Trib. Jeremy Finlayson incident

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed, my only issue is that they laid down a marker with Clarkson, 20k fine, 2 matches suspended and then shifted that marker for JF which there appears no basis for other than their feels.

It’s actually a good thing that they admit they got it wrong, and thus move the marker.

The easy way out would’ve been to give JF the same penalty, and nothing would ever change.

As for the difference between F and CS, I think the former is ‘considered’ more derogatory, because virtually 100% of the time it is used it carries the direct homophobic meaning (I don’t think anyone is using it for bundles of stick, anymore).

And while CS could indeed be used to mean “groveller, suck up” etc, those meanings are rooted in the idea that performing homosexual acts is wrong and worthy of contempt.

What is accepted in the AFL influences and shapes what is accepted in the junior leagues - can’t imagine it would feel great for a young homosexual to constantly hear, or be “reminded”, that an act associated with his orientation is deemed so ‘wrong’ that it can be used to insult people.

So you can split hairs and say one is not as bad as the other, and you might be right, sort of… but perhaps it would be easier to just not say either.

He’s a homophobic because he called a player who isn’t homosexual a name?
Ok 👍

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: yes, because the use of it is rooted in the idea that by referring to someone as homosexual you are implying they are “less of a person”. I highly doubt the player he directed it to took any personal offence (unless they are homosexual). But perhaps they have a friend who is homosexual, and decided it was time to stand up for them?

EDIT:

I should clarify, this doesn’t make JF homophobic - in fact, maybe upon reflection he realises he shouldn’t have used it, and that this is not who he is as a person - sometimes we say stuff without thinking about it, and feel genuine remorse after. In which case, I would call of an act encouraging (or at least normalising) homophobia, which is basically the same when it comes to deciding on a punishment.

I reckon JF had been listening to 'Money For Nothing' by Dire Straits before the game and asked his opponent if they called themselves The Bombers because they have their own jet airplane and the player said 'yep, didnt you know we're millionaires.'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back