Travel Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

That is already cheaper

For a 7 day pass it is only $965ish and I assume it is unlimited trips in that time?

So I could theoritically leave Tokyo on day one go Nagoya for a couple of days then onto Osaka and back to Tokyo in a week?
I didn't use the JR Pass for my trip (probably should have but it was last minute stuff) and I just used the smartEX app to book shinkansen tickets the night before. There's one literally every 5 mins (it's insane) so you'll always find one with some seats, but if you have oversized luggage you need to book the back seats to store it behind the seats (my normal-ish sized suitcase could just fit up-top on the baggage stands though). Tokyo to Osaka was about $150 each, so if you don't have the pass it's probably not worth going back. Remember you activate your pass for 7 days at a dedicated time, not just when you get it. So you can spend a week in Tokyo first, activate and then go balls to the wall for the next week.

Yeah unlimited travel, and this includes the normal rail network too. So much easier because (in 2018 anyway) you needed to buy separate tickets for each line from memory.

And yea that schedule would be easily doable via the Shinkansen, the way to go id reckon
Is a normal Tokyo train ticket bought separately expensive?

I'm just thinging whether to get a full 14 day pass.

Or tickets as necessary when in Tokyo for the first 7 days and then getting this pas for the next 7 when I head to Osaka and back

I didn't use the JR Pass for my trip (probably should have but it was last minute stuff) and I just used the smartEX app to book shinkansen tickets the night before. There's one literally every 5 mins (it's insane) so you'll always find one with some seats, but if you have oversized luggage you need to book the back seats to store it behind the seats (my normal-ish sized suitcase could just fit up-top on the baggage stands though). Tokyo to Osaka was about $150 each, so if you don't have the pass it's probably not worth going back. Remember you activate your pass for 7 days at a dedicated time, not just when you get it. So you can spend a week in Tokyo first, activate and then go balls to the wall for the next week.
So I'll need to book in advance for luggage? I'm travelling with a 7 & 5 year old so I'll have luggage. Is this an extra cost?

So I'll need to book in advance for luggage? I'm travelling with a 7 & 5 year old so I'll have luggage. Is this an extra cost?
When you get your shinkansen ticket you'll need to reserve a seat that has access to an oversized luggage area. It's the same price as reserving any other seat, which I think is like $5 and something you probably should do anyway (I think Tokyo to Osaka has about 12 cars on the train with 2 of them unreserved, the rest reserved). You'll just have to reserve the back seats of the car so you can put your luggage behind you.

There's overhead luggage holders for normal carry-on that might be able to fit your suitcase (it did mine) but for peace of mind I'd definitely book the back seats.

105b4d06f0a5560b35d9eb967d4485f8.jpg
bod_img_04.png

When you get your shinkansen ticket you'll need to reserve a seat that has access to an oversized luggage area. It's the same price as reserving any other seat, which I think is like $5 and something you probably should do anyway (I think Tokyo to Osaka has about 12 cars on the train with 2 of them unreserved, the rest reserved). You'll just have to reserve the back seats of the car so you can put your luggage behind you.

There's overhead luggage holders for normal carry-on that might be able to fit your suitcase (it did mine) but for peace of mind I'd definitely book the back seats.

105b4d06f0a5560b35d9eb967d4485f8.jpg
bod_img_04.png
ok thanks

I'm trying to get us down to 2 luggage backs and a back pack each but its tough. Especially if we want to buy anything along the way to bring home

Is a normal Tokyo train ticket bought separately expensive?

I'm just thinging whether to get a full 14 day pass.

Or tickets as necessary when in Tokyo for the first 7 days and then getting this pas for the next 7 when I head to Osaka and back
In Tokyo there are JR operated train lines that you can use the pass on to get around, but also a lot of other train lines operated by different people that don't accept the pass. To use those other lines you should buy a IC card (Suica, Passmo, etc) and top them up with some money just like a Myki card. If Tokyo is your first destination, I would not use your JR pass there and instead just use standard IC cards. The JR pass is really only value for the shinkansen, so activate it when going to Osaka and back, and check out some places along the way. The local trains around Tokyo are actually pretty cheap, like 200 yen for most trips.

In Tokyo there are JR operated train lines that you can use the pass on to get around, but also a lot of other train lines operated by different people that don't accept the pass. To use those other lines you should buy a IC card (Suica, Passmo, etc) and top them up with some money just like a Myki card. If Tokyo is your first destination, I would not use your JR pass there and instead just use standard IC cards. The JR pass is really only value for the shinkansen, so activate it when going to Osaka and back, and check out some places along the way. The local trains around Tokyo are actually pretty cheap, like 200 yen for most trips.
ok cool, thanks

Plan is about a week in Tokyo. Maybe up to 9

Then a couple of days in Nagoya, 4 or 5 in Osaka

Back to Tokyo and then off to Okinawa for a week (maybe 5 days, might spend an extra couple of days in Tokyo first, in a different spot this time) the off to relax and cruise around the island. I' m not normally a relax on a holiday type person but after 2 weeks on the go with a 5 & 7 year old we might need some r&r before I go back to work

Any other hints/tips/ideas are welcome.

Planning on Disney by the Sea, maybe Tokyo Disney too. Definatly going to Universal in Osaka

ok cool, thanks

Plan is about a week in Tokyo. Maybe up to 9

Then a couple of days in Nagoya, 4 or 5 in Osaka

Back to Tokyo and then off to Okinawa for a week (maybe 5 days, might spend an extra couple of days in Tokyo first, in a different spot this time) the off to relax and cruise around the island. I' m not normally a relax on a holiday type person but after 2 weeks on the go with a 5 & 7 year old we might need some r&r before I go back to work

Any other hints/tips/ideas are welcome.

Planning on Disney by the Sea, maybe Tokyo Disney too. Definatly going to Universal in Osaka
I would definitely add Kyoto, probably take 2 of those days from Osaka (you might already be doing that). Good for some relax days there.

I'm on the complete opposite spectrum as I'm mid 20s so not sure about specific kid activities. Universal Osaka will be great. Buy tickets in advance and maybe even think about fast passes (not cheap though) as there will be a million people there. Rock up an hour before official opening times, sometimes they open early to try and limit congestion, then run to Super Nintendo World to get in before it fills up and you have to get a specific entry time ticket from the staff.

Just be ready for a lot of lines everywhere especially Tokyo. So many people so places get busy. Can be a bit difficult with little ones having to line up 20mins sometimes for some ramen/sushi etc. Not many local people can speak English so be ready for that. They'll help you though, but might need to use a translation app. Also you'll get lost in train stations, it's a rite of passage.

00Stinger - When looking at the pass consider every detail. As JyeDye said - not all metro lines are included (I think it was ~20% of the Tokyo lines and ~40% of the Osaka lines). Just about all the rural ones are though. So travelling between the cities is fine, but within them? Not so much. So figure out if the pass is right for you. Perhaps getting a one way ticket and just topping up locally the cards required might be best. What good is paying for a pass which you won't use. Could go cheaper. Then the same cost to actually use the metro.

And be mindful, everything (other than accommodation weirdly) I found really expensive in Japan.

In regards to the theme parks, Universal Studios >>>> DisneySea >> DisneyLand (Though, having said that, with a 5 and 7 year old kid, they'd probably enjoy DisneyLand more).

Get your tickets in advance - Universal's is fully digitalised tickets. No booths. DisneySea you can buy a physical ticket at the information desk at the monorail station. DisneyLand you can get at a ticket booth. However, most stuff is digitalised now (Even maps! - I couldn't for the life of me find a park map in the park. And there's no wifi in the park except at the entrances (to allow people to get their digital tickets) so you might need a sim in advance just for the DisneyParks (I noticed with others the Disney app showed wait times and the like), so not many people serving. With Universal's, head straight to Central Park (Take the first right in the undercover area, go past the main rollercoaster, past mels drive in. There's an area where you obtain your super mario world ticket with time there. The best ride I've ever been on is the Flying Dinasaur over at Jurassic Park. Jump in the single riders line to get to the lockers sooner (EVERYTHING has to go in lockers) but then get in the regular line after that. (Though, they may not let you do the single riders first when they see 4 of you)

In Tokyo, there's twice daily tours of the Imperial Palace. But it's capped, and it's first in first served. I didn't even know about it in advance, and when I found out (just strolling around the city) I found out the tour is 20 minutes away, and I missed out by about 5-10 people :(

I would recommend the aquirium in Osaka. It's one of 3 I've been to (at least as an adult) and was incredible. Absolutely loved it, and in the adjacent shopping center there's a legoland discovery center. Would also be amazing for the kids. And next door to that is a ferris wheel (I didn't bother tbh)

If anyone in your family are into Pokemon, head out to the mega pokemon center over near Toshima City (~8km NorthWest of inza in Tokyo). It's incredibly large. So large and so popular the line was so long I didn't even go into the main part of the shop - But just looking in from outside looked like it'd be an amazing shop for pokemon lovers. There was a little tiny shop 50m away which I got my gifts for a friend at (A small Mew and Luxray plush). And there's a cafe on a lower floor which has pokemon themed cakes and the like too.

00Stinger - When looking at the pass consider every detail. As JyeDye said - not all metro lines are included (I think it was ~20% of the Tokyo lines and ~40% of the Osaka lines). Just about all the rural ones are though. So travelling between the cities is fine, but within them? Not so much. So figure out if the pass is right for you. Perhaps getting a one way ticket and just topping up locally the cards required might be best. What good is paying for a pass which you won't use. Could go cheaper. Then the same cost to actually use the metro.

And be mindful, everything (other than accommodation weirdly) I found really expensive in Japan.

In regards to the theme parks, Universal Studios >>>> DisneySea >> DisneyLand (Though, having said that, with a 5 and 7 year old kid, they'd probably enjoy DisneyLand more).

Get your tickets in advance - Universal's is fully digitalised tickets. No booths. DisneySea you can buy a physical ticket at the information desk at the monorail station. DisneyLand you can get at a ticket booth. However, most stuff is digitalised now (Even maps! - I couldn't for the life of me find a park map in the park. And there's no wifi in the park except at the entrances (to allow people to get their digital tickets) so you might need a sim in advance just for the DisneyParks (I noticed with others the Disney app showed wait times and the like), so not many people serving. With Universal's, head straight to Central Park (Take the first right in the undercover area, go past the main rollercoaster, past mels drive in. There's an area where you obtain your super mario world ticket with time there. The best ride I've ever been on is the Flying Dinasaur over at Jurassic Park. Jump in the single riders line to get to the lockers sooner (EVERYTHING has to go in lockers) but then get in the regular line after that. (Though, they may not let you do the single riders first when they see 4 of you)

In Tokyo, there's twice daily tours of the Imperial Palace. But it's capped, and it's first in first served. I didn't even know about it in advance, and when I found out (just strolling around the city) I found out the tour is 20 minutes away, and I missed out by about 5-10 people :(

I would recommend the aquirium in Osaka. It's one of 3 I've been to (at least as an adult) and was incredible. Absolutely loved it, and in the adjacent shopping center there's a legoland discovery center. Would also be amazing for the kids. And next door to that is a ferris wheel (I didn't bother tbh)

If anyone in your family are into Pokemon, head out to the mega pokemon center over near Toshima City (~8km NorthWest of inza in Tokyo). It's incredibly large. So large and so popular the line was so long I didn't even go into the main part of the shop - But just looking in from outside looked like it'd be an amazing shop for pokemon lovers. There was a little tiny shop 50m away which I got my gifts for a friend at (A small Mew and Luxray plush). And there's a cafe on a lower floor which has pokemon themed cakes and the like too.
cheers

Universal studio is a lock, kids and myself want to hit up MarioWorld. Can I buy a Mario world time pass on the day or do I need to get it in advance?
Will probably end up at both parks but Disney Tokyo seems very dated and very similar to the Paris Disney, will probably visit Legoworld as well. Thanks for the heads up on the wifi (or lack there of)

Is the tour of Imperial palace that good though? or is it just worth seeing from the outside?

I might check out the aquarium, was contemplating the zoo as I've been to a few worldwide, with and without the kids (NY, San Diego, San Antoinio, Singapore, Munich & London)

My kids are big into Pokemon so thats a good tip, was going to do something do to with pokemon with them

I walked up and got the Super Mario World tickets inside the park.

I got there at 10, did some rides, and eventually found my way to get the tickets around 12 or 1, and the next available time was 4 or so. So it should be fine going in and getting it. But I do believe you can get them in advance, so I would do that to save some heartache.

The tour I dont know about, would've been cool going in, but it isn't really that great from the outside, it's not very tall, and it's hidden behind walls.

Disney Tokyo was extremely outdated, yes, HOWEVER, if you have memories of DisneyLand from 25 years ago, you'd enjoy it as it's probably the one park not modernised in that time period haha. So the rides at Tokyo Disney would be as you'd remember them in LA 25 years prior (It's what I found at least) was a nice nostalgia hit :)

I walked up and got the Super Mario World tickets inside the park.

I got there at 10, did some rides, and eventually found my way to get the tickets around 12 or 1, and the next available time was 4 or so. So it should be fine going in and getting it. But I do believe you can get them in advance, so I would do that to save some heartache.

The tour I dont know about, would've been cool going in, but it isn't really that great from the outside, it's not very tall, and it's hidden behind walls.

Disney Tokyo was extremely outdated, yes, HOWEVER, if you have memories of DisneyLand from 25 years ago, you'd enjoy it as it's probably the one park not modernised in that time period haha. So the rides at Tokyo Disney would be as you'd remember them in LA 25 years prior (It's what I found at least) was a nice nostalgia hit :)
Yeah I think I will hit up Disney more for the kids than me and the wife.

How did you find things not speaking the language in general?

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drove from Tokyo to Nagano & also Mt Fuji. Rented a Subaru Impreza and it's driving on the left.

Driving inside Shinjuku is a bit daunting and confusing, but once you get onto the freeway after 10 minutes there's really no speed limit and it's cruisey.

Anyone have tips on driving in Japan too?
Go to the RAC and get an international driver's license. Speeds are slow because everywhere is congested so it's safe in that sense. I stick to 120 on the expressways. The thing I notice when I'm driving on the expressways is so the relentless flow of traffic, especially trucks. You've got to be switched on all the time. Cruise control is not really a thing in Japan.

Go to the RAC and get an international driver's license. Speeds are slow because everywhere is congested so it's safe in that sense. I stick to 120 on the expressways. The thing I notice when I'm driving on the expressways is so the relentless flow of traffic, especially trucks. You've got to be switched on all the time. Cruise control is not really a thing in Japan.
saw that you need an international license

Thanks for the advice

If I'm visiting for under 90 days I don't need a visa either do i?
No. They'll stamp your passport with the 90 days. Complete the online immigration and declaration to just show them the QR codes at customs and you'll be right. Retailers will check for that stamp sometimes when you show your passport for 10% tax free on purchases above 5000yen

cheers

Universal studio is a lock, kids and myself want to hit up MarioWorld. Can I buy a Mario world time pass on the day or do I need to get it in advance?
Will probably end up at both parks but Disney Tokyo seems very dated and very similar to the Paris Disney, will probably visit Legoworld as well. Thanks for the heads up on the wifi (or lack there of)

Is the tour of Imperial palace that good though? or is it just worth seeing from the outside?

I might check out the aquarium, was contemplating the zoo as I've been to a few worldwide, with and without the kids (NY, San Diego, San Antoinio, Singapore, Munich & London)

My kids are big into Pokemon so thats a good tip, was going to do something do to with pokemon with them
Go to Universal an hour earlier then opening time (around 8am) and get near the front of the line. As soon as gates open, straight up run to Super Nintendo World and you'll get in before they start closing it to people. You can get 'Timed Entry Tickets' from the staff if they're full already, where they'll give you a certain time to come back and you show your ticket and get let in. Also can do this through the USJ app. Once you're in there you can buy these wrist sweatbands for the kids for $35ish each for the kids to play all the Mario minigames.

Agree with the other poster about the Jurassic Bird ride (idk what it's called), but that's definitely not kid applicable so plan to go on it by yourself. The kid rides like the Minion one and Doraemon were like 3 hour waits (I'm not kidding, seriously be ready for lines) so I obviously skipped them.

I also went to the Osaka aquarium and enjoyed it. Would be nice with the kids, and the area around there is really kid touristy friendly. There's a LegoLand, a massive ferris wheel and some other stuff. Same with the Tokyo Odaiba seaside with the Statue of Liberty, Fuji Building, LegoLand and some entertainment things there (arcades, bowling, etc)

Yeah I think I will hit up Disney more for the kids than me and the wife.

How did you find things not speaking the language in general?

Hard at first, but you'll get used to it as the trips goes. Also if you're going to more touristy areas you'll be fine, maybe a bit of back and forth but most places will have English menus / instructions that people will just point you to. Funny thing is, the only places I actually struggled with the language barrier was International customs (why are you yelling out instructions in Japanese to the foreign passports line???????????) and my first hotel check-in (all other ones were fine, this one was just a cheapy for a night).

10% discount on purchases over 5000 yen?

Awesome, had no idea about that one

Not every store, just selected retailers. So you can't get dinner 10% off. But most of the ones you'll do some serious shopping at will like Pokemon centre, Uniqlo, Muji, BIC, Daiso, Don Quijote, etc. So take your passport with you when doing a bit of shopping.

Planning on going to Japan (and China) with my wife and a three year old in September/October.
First complication I have is which airline to use. A few things to note/questions:

• Money isn't really an issue so we can afford to fly any airline but I don't want to just waste money unnecessarily
  • From what I can see Virgin, Jetstar, ANA, Japan Airlines and Qantas all fly direct to Tokyo (Jetstar also Osaka)
  • Jetstar is comfortably the cheapest, followed by Virgin/ANA.
  • What are people's experiences with Jetstar on international flights? I know of trouble on the bogan routes like Bali and Bangkok but anyone flown with them to Japan? If we were to fly Jetstar we would probably go first class as long as the seating arrangement suits
  • What about Virgin? They also fly direct and like Jetstar fly direct from Cairns which is only a 7.5 hour flight
  • Thinking of flying from Cairns to break up the flight for my little guy and also visit my sister who lives there
  • With a three year old would a day time or overnight flight be better?

Planning on going to Japan (and China) with my wife and a three year old in September/October.
First complication I have is which airline to use. A few things to note/questions:

• Money isn't really an issue so we can afford to fly any airline but I don't want to just waste money unnecessarily
  • From what I can see Virgin, Jetstar, ANA, Japan Airlines and Qantas all fly direct to Tokyo (Jetstar also Osaka)
  • Jetstar is comfortably the cheapest, followed by Virgin/ANA.
  • What are people's experiences with Jetstar on international flights? I know of trouble on the bogan routes like Bali and Bangkok but anyone flown with them to Japan? If we were to fly Jetstar we would probably go first class as long as the seating arrangement suits
  • What about Virgin? They also fly direct and like Jetstar fly direct from Cairns which is only a 7.5 hour flight
  • Thinking of flying from Cairns to break up the flight for my little guy and also visit my sister who lives there
  • With a three year old would a day time or overnight flight be better?

I'm flying with Virgin via Cairns to split the flight up for my 7 & 5 year olds

Fly night time is my recommendation. I took the kids at roughly 3 &1 to America and went overnight so they were more likely to sleep for longer on the flight. Keeping a 3 year old seated for that long is an issue imo

If you are thinking of using "Welcome Suica" at the moment make sure you get one at the airport terminal station when you arrive. Most other outlets are temporarily suspended. Sales of new regular Suica and Pasmo are suspended everywhere as of about a week ago.

To be honest buying tickets for each journey is not the end of the world. But where the cards are handy is when your trip involves the different systems.

For inner Tokyo
  • JR operated trains. generally on the surface and usually a much longer spread between stops. if you are going any distance they are much faster. They are always your first choice and they cover the major centres.
  • Then there are two major subway networks: Toei and Metro. Often very convenient to get to smaller spots.

Further out from the centre
- a number of private operated lines, like Tobu etc. in addition to the above.

If you have a smartcard you can just flash the card to get between systems. Also, if you are all smartphone carrying adults you can use an app.

If you are thinking of using "Welcome Suica" at the moment make sure you get one at the airport terminal station when you arrive. Most other outlets are temporarily suspended. Sales of new regular Suica and Pasmo are suspended everywhere as of about a week ago.

To be honest buying tickets for each journey is not the end of the world. But where the cards are handy is when your trip involves the different systems.

For inner Tokyo
  • JR operated trains. generally on the surface and usually a much longer spread between stops. if you are going any distance they are much faster. They are always your first choice and they cover the major centres.
  • Then there are two major subway networks: Toei and Metro. Often very convenient to get to smaller spots.

Further out from the centre
- a number of private operated lines, like Tobu etc. in addition to the above.

If you have a smartcard you can just flash the card to get between systems. Also, if you are all smartphone carrying adults you can use an app.
Yeah I did read about the card issuing suspension the other day, thankfully they're still available from the airport, where I intended to purchase anyway.

In terms of the pass it's good to know that it covers all of the different train companies so don't need to worry about purchasing different ones. And my understanding is you assign a balance to it when purchasing it but won't recoup it so need to ensure it's all used. I think our plan in this case is to not overestimate and then top up when the balance gets low and we have a clearer picture as to how much more we need.

Assume we need to buy 3 individual ones as well for each traveller and can't use one to purchase 3 on any occasion?

Yeah I did read about the card issuing suspension the other day, thankfully they're still available from the airport, where I intended to purchase anyway.

In terms of the pass it's good to know that it covers all of the different train companies so don't need to worry about purchasing different ones. And my understanding is you assign a balance to it when purchasing it but won't recoup it so need to ensure it's all used. I think our plan in this case is to not overestimate and then top up when the balance gets low and we have a clearer picture as to how much more we need.

Assume we need to buy 3 individual ones as well for each traveller and can't use one to purchase 3 on any occasion?
you need one each

JR owns a chain of convenience stores in stations and sometimes on the outside called "Newdays" you can use the suica as payment there to clear any balance.

Its also worth nothing that if you are paying a lot of cash for things coins really build up. you can use those coins (bar the 1 and 5) to charge your suica

Remove this Banner Ad

Back