Travel Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

The whole thing was a cluster*. We ended up using the browser site and because it wouldn't accept our card, we had to get our friend in Osaka to go to convenience story and collect the tickets for us. s**t system, the Japanese really prioritise locals it seems and not international tourists for these things. We went through a similar ordeal trying to get F1 tickets for Suzuka, as you had to have a registered Japanese address, phone number etc to be able to buy tickets direct from Suzuka website.
Yeah talk about bloody frustrating

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

I used Klook for tickets and it took me 10mins. But I just got a standard entry ticket and that's it, not sure if they support all the express passes etc
Yeah I ended up using Klook and could book the fast passes and timed entries

So internation cc's don't work booking online, is there any issue with using foreign cc's and EFTPOS cards while actually physically in Japan?

Yeah I ended up using Klook and could book the fast passes and timed entries

So internation cc's don't work booking online, is there any issue with using foreign cc's and EFTPOS cards while actually physically in Japan?
I use a Wise Visa card for international holidays. There's a fee I think to initially deposit money, but then can transfer it around to different currencies at the best rate. That was taken everywhere that took credit cards, but I used it to withdraw cash most of the time as a lot of food places didn't take card.

Mate that looks awesome with the kids. Thanks heaps

Do I need to book in advance

Another vote for Kidzania.

My girls loved trying out being cops, firefighters, vets, TV presenters, ice cream servers and burger makers (which they got to eat). Of course, they were giants compared to the Japanese kids but didn't care.

Another vote for Kidzania.

My girls loved trying out being cops, firefighters, vets, TV presenters, ice cream servers and burger makers (which they got to eat). Of course, they were giants compared to the Japanese kids but didn't care.
Yeah I've booked tickets to Kidzania.

Only question i have is what do you do while the kids are there for 6 hours? Just sit in the cafe?

So I have everything booked now (rough intenerary below. Tix booked to theme parks for those days and Kidzania & Teamlab)

4 nights Tokyo (staying about 800m N/E of tokyo tower)
  • Booked Kidzania & TeamLab Planets museum for one day & Yokyo Disneysea for the other
  • Spend a day at Tokyo tower, Imperial palace, Hamarikyu gardens & Kyu-Shiba-Riky gardens

5 nights in Osaka (Chuo Ward)
  • Booked universal studios for a day
  • Spend a day at Kyoto (might book a car and drive up for the day)
  • 1 day a Tennoji zoo, Hozenji Yokocho
  • 1 day Osaka castle, Pokemon centre, Shirokita Park, Utsobo Park
  • Tombori cruise & riverwalk possibly at night

5 nights back in Tokyo (Ueno)
  • 1 day at Shinjuka (any must sees/dos'?)
  • 1 day in Shibuya (any must sees/dos'?)
  • day trip to Lake Ashi and Mt Fuji viewing (may book a car for this day)
  • 1 day Ueno Park/museum, Tokyo skytree, Senso-ji

5 nights Okinawa 9Kouri Island)
  • Got a luxury resort to mainly relax/unwind
  • Spend a day or two checking out the Pineapple Park, American Village, botanical gardens

1 last night in Tokyo before coming home

Any advice? do's/dont's?

I am going wife my wife and 2 kids (7 & 5)

Only question i have is what do you do while the kids are there for 6 hours? Just sit in the cafe?

They'll want you nearby - it's a big space that looks like a city so may need help navigating their way around. You'll definitely need a break every now and then from the high decibel shrieking in a confined space. My wife and I took it in turns to go out - it sits in a big shopping mall so you can have a wander. I think we were there for about 3 hours.

you will probably be needed to keep booking their next slots, enjoy some of the things with them, take a few photos etc. Don't worry, the time will pass super fast.

you will probably be needed to keep booking their next slots, enjoy some of the things with them, take a few photos etc. Don't worry, the time will pass super fast.
The way I read it was the kids go off and the parents watch them on camera or through windows

Obviously wasn't going to just leave them there alone

Booked a Wednesday too as that is their 'English speaking' day

The way I read it was the kids go off and the parents watch them on camera or through windows

Obviously wasn't going to just leave them there alone

Booked a Wednesday too as that is their 'English speaking' day

There are some shops / opportunities where the kids go into a shop and do their thing. Its still very interesting to watch through the window, hang out in the street. If they do fire brigade, security guard etc you will want to follow them through the streets, follow the truck etc just because its so much fun. There are other things like air hostess where they need the parents to be a passenger so they can serve you.

But don't forget there is a booking system you have to stay on top of so you can get them into things.

There are some shops / opportunities where the kids go into a shop and do their thing. Its still very interesting to watch through the window, hang out in the street. If they do fire brigade, security guard etc you will want to follow them through the streets, follow the truck etc just because its so much fun. There are other things like air hostess where they need the parents to be a passenger so they can serve you.

But don't forget there is a booking system you have to stay on top of so you can get them into things.
thanks

So I have them booked into a day session 9m - 3pm. Do I have to book them into timeslots for jobs as well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thanks

So I have them booked into a day session 9m - 3pm. Do I have to book them into timeslots for jobs as well?

Yes. At least, that's how it worked when I was there. For example, if your kid wants to do pilot then you want to be booking that on the way in.

Be in the queue when they open, lock in a few popular ones then you can drag your feet around the easier stuff.

Its in here

Yes. At least, that's how it worked when I was there. For example, if your kid wants to do pilot then you want to be booking that on the way in.

Be in the queue when they open, lock in a few popular ones then you can drag your feet around the easier stuff.
ok thanks, so I get there early and book them in in the morning? not days/weeks in advance?

ok thanks, so I get there early and book them in in the morning? not days/weeks in advance?

I edited my post above to give a link. That shows your booking card and a potential schedule. You can only book job sessions once you are in there.

You can purchase Tokyo>Osaka Shinkansen tickets in Tokyo Station.

Just do it a few days before departure and it’s considerably cheaper than buying online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How much cheaper? I am looking online at dates in October and its looking like Tokyo to Osaka is about $145ish and Kyoto to Tokyo is $138ish in a non reserved seat in standard.

How much cheaper? I am looking online at dates in October and its looking like Tokyo to Osaka is about $145ish and Kyoto to Tokyo is $138ish in a non reserved seat in standard.

I could only find Shinkansen tickets through Ninja Rail and prices were 440$ return.

So purchasing in Tokyo saved about $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Universal studios online wont take either mine or my wides VISA/Matsercards

Anyone had these issues?
Are you in Japan atm?

When I was in Tokyo I was going to take the lazy way out and book flights to Osaka, but it wouldn't accept my card. So I decided to head to the train station and book the ticket that way.

Probably good my card failed. Got stunning views of Mt Fuji.

Last edited:
Are you in Japan atm?

When I was in Tokyo I was going to take the lazy way out and book flights to Osaka, but it wouldn't accept my card. So I decided to head to the train station and book the ticket that way.

Probably good my card failed. Got stunning views of Mt Fuji.
Nah I'm over there in 3 weeks

So you had trouble using your cards over there?

Nah I'm over there in 3 weeks

So you had trouble using your cards over there?

Only when trying to make an online payment to jal

Zero issues on anything else

Only when trying to make an online payment to jal

Zero issues on anything else
Cool, that's good.

I've found I couldn't book anything online with foreign cc's really. Had to book through a third party for almost everything.

What's the deal with luggage on a bullet train?

Cool, that's good.

I've found I couldn't book anything online with foreign cc's really. Had to book through a third party for almost everything.

What's the deal with luggage on a bullet train?

I found it quite quiet onboard, so I sat in the window seat and kept the luggage in the aisle seat next to me.

But with there being 4 of you, that mightn't be the best option. idk. idk when it's busiest. I dont know if it were quiet for me soon after covid.

I personally had zero issue, but I dont know if I had a skewed experience (making it better) or if I were the norm.

If I were the norm, you could spread out over an entire row, and have your luggage right infront of you, but if it's busier, you mightn't be able to do that. Might have to have it at the front of the compartment (I went to carriage 1 as I went 1st class so no one would walk past as you were right at the front) and just to be safe, go to the luggage wherever you stop (on the most direct route, I think it was 2 stops in Tokyo, then non-stop to Osaka)

Just a thought, if 3 of you sit on the right side of the carriage, then 1 of you sits ont he left with the bags, it could actually be perfect. 1 protects your bags, 3 get to enjoy Fuki in all it's glory.

I wouldn't bother getting shinkansen tickets months early. They come so often that you can easily get a ticket a day or two before still, if not 10 mins beforehand if you don't have oversized luggage and don't mind sitting by yourself or the group is a bit split up.

I used the smartEX app to book them online. I think it's the official way to do it, you link your IC card (Passmo or Swica) to it and just tap it at the shinkansen gates like a normal train and a hand-ticket will pop out at the other end of the gate for you to grab. That simple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back