Travel Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

Lived there for a year 1997-1998, great place. Hope you like humidity and rain though. April/May is a good time to go. I'd try and get out of Naha and ideally visit some of the smaller islands.
It will be October

I've heard it described as a mini Hawaii and the beaches look amazing

Was thinking of hiring a car and potentially staying out of Naha on a beach somewhere

It will be October

I've heard it described as a mini Hawaii and the beaches look amazing

Was thinking of hiring a car and potentially staying out of Naha on a beach somewhere
Yeah there are no trains on Okinawa so it's hard to get around compared to the mainland. Renting a car is definitely the go. October is obviously typhoon season but if you can avoid that you should have decent weather.

As for the beaches, they're great by Japanese standards but not anything that Australians wouldn't have seen before. For a decent beach I'd recommend Minna Island which is easy enough to get to.

Yeah there are no trains on Okinawa so it's hard to get around compared to the mainland. Renting a car is definitely the go. October is obviously typhoon season but if you can avoid that you should have decent weather.

As for the beaches, they're great by Japanese standards but not anything that Australians wouldn't have seen before. For a decent beach I'd recommend Minna Island which is easy enough to get to.
yeah I just want somewhere to go and relax for a week, that is warm enough and has some beaches

especially after spending 2 & 1/2 weeks on the go on the mainland with a 7 & 5 year old in tow

Been here a week now, but off the beaten path into Shikoku and the Kii Peninsula. Night in Osaka and in Tokyo now, and a distinct lack of caucasians, so good time to be here before the hordes start coming in. Most shops/restaurants are open, all transport running so things seem to be back to normal. Getting through immigration was torture though. Long lines, long wait, small area. Much worse than anything I’ve had at LAX.

Been here a week now, but off the beaten path into Shikoku and the Kii Peninsula. Night in Osaka and in Tokyo now, and a distinct lack of caucasians, so good time to be here before the hordes start coming in. Most shops/restaurants are open, all transport running so things seem to be back to normal. Getting through immigration was torture though. Long lines, long wait, small area. Much worse than anything I’ve had at LAX.

Did they ask any questions?

Any issues with covid vaccine s**t?

I fly out next week, and mum is telling me I have to upload my vaccine status or some s**t online before departure?

Also - Taxis, do they take credit card?
I dont use cash any more, but might take some for 2/3 taxis I might need to do.

Upload your certificate to visit Japan web. Also have to fill in your arrival forms on that page to get your q codes for entry. They have people prior to immigration to help you get everything ready. No idea about taxis, I still do the cash for everything thing when I’m Japan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been around a bit of Asia and Japan is my favourite. Plenty of history, easy to get around on the Shinkansen, not too expensive from memory, plenty to do, people are friendly, everyone speaks English, very safe

I must have went to the other Japan haha!

People who worked at hotel receptions were the only Japanese who could speak a little english to me.

I must have went to the other Japan haha!

People who worked at hotel receptions were the only Japanese who could speak a little english to me.

I went through Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo and don't think I found a waitress who didn't speak English. Also signs around the streets etc seemed to have English translations from what I saw, it's pretty easy for a Westerner over there I found.

Japan has soared to the fourth most-visited overseas destination for Australian residents

I can understand why it's an awesome place to visit. Last time I went was 4 years ago, food, scenery, history and culture, and this amazing societal organisation and respect, coming back to Melbourne with all the selfish scumbags was actually sad

I went through Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo and don't think I found a waitress who didn't speak English. Also signs around the streets etc seemed to have English translations from what I saw, it's pretty easy for a Westerner over there I found.

In the local version of IGA its common for the check out 'chick' to give their English a run - even when it fails (either side) its smiles all round. Fabulous people, fabulous place.

need a couple of tips

• what is a good site to book bullet train tix on? or should I buy there
  • 2 adults and kids looking at costing me around $1k one way Tokyo to Osaka, is this high?
  • Good area to stay in Osaka?

need a couple of tips

• 2 adults and kids looking at costing me around $1k one way Tokyo to Osaka, is this high?

For the first one, the rail pass is the go, you can go on the Shinkansen and any of the other trains of the other train networks, the way to go. If you get this you can all go via Shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka, it's probably as quick as the plane overall and much easier, think trains come every half hour or thereabouts.

need a couple of tips

When are you going? The JR rail passes are going up about 50% from October so keep that in my mind. The individual JR passes (JR West/ JR East etc) may be better value depending on your plans. Try hyperdia.com to get an idea of schedules and prices for the shinkansen. $1k is definitely over the odds. In Osaka I like the area around Nanba Station.

When are you going? The JR rail passes are going up about 50% from October so keep that in my mind. The individual JR passes (JR West/ JR East etc) may be better value depending on your plans. Try hyperdia.com to get an idea of schedules and prices for the shinkansen. $1k is definitely over the odds. In Osaka I like the area around Nanba Station.
Thanks

I'm going in mid October

For the price of a one way ticket on the bullet train I could get return flights from Tokyo to Osaka

For the first one, the rail pass is the go, you can go on the Shinkansen and any of the other trains of the other train networks, the way to go. If you get this you can all go via Shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka, it's probably as quick as the plane overall and much easier, think trains come every half hour or thereabouts.
That is already cheaper

For a 7 day pass it is only $965ish and I assume it is unlimited trips in that time?

So I could theoritically leave Tokyo on day one go Nagoya for a couple of days then onto Osaka and back to Tokyo in a week?

That is already cheaper

For a 7 day pass it is only $965ish and I assume it is unlimited trips in that time?

So I could theoritically leave Tokyo on day one go Nagoya for a couple of days then onto Osaka and back to Tokyo in a week?

Yeah unlimited travel, and this includes the normal rail network too. So much easier because (in 2018 anyway) you needed to buy separate tickets for each line from memory.

And yea that schedule would be easily doable via the Shinkansen, the way to go id reckon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back