Opinion Is this rock bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

Where are all the posters telling us to "be patient, it will turn"? Where are the posters who are "happy with the list" & "happy with what we've got"? Where are the posters who were "thrilled to sing the song" after we beat GC last year? Where are the posters who were mesmerised by our first 40 minutes against Freo which gave us a "great glimpse into the future"?

Our list is worse this year, than it was last year, so how could anyone have expected on-field improvement, other than through rose-coloured glasses?

Over summer, dozens of people asked me "How do you think North will go this year?" I told every one of them "Guaranteed bottom 2."
Most people were surprised. Some would say "You're going in the right direction. You've got a good young list." I'd just laugh.

*the year is 2034, a park somewhere in the East of Melbourne. Aidan Corr kicks the footy with his kids

Kids 1: ‘so did you play in the AFL dad?’

AC: ‘certainly did mate. In fact, I played lots of games. Actually, a lot more than a player with my skill set should of’

Kid 2: ‘did you ever win a grand final or a best and fairest?’

AC: ‘na mate. Far from it. In fact, I was one of the main reasons one of the greatest coaches the game has seen has his legacy f**ked’

Kid 1: ‘who did ya play for again’

AC: ‘north Melbourne mate. They aren’t around anymore’

Kid 2: ‘yeah right. Anyway, dad can you kick the footy here. And try kick it within 20 metres of me this time’

AC: ‘haha. I dont do that son. I just dont do that’

*camera freezes on a smiling Aidan Corr, song begins to play: ‘and the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon, little boy blue and the man in the moon, when you’re coming home son I don’t know when, but we’ll get together then, son, you know we’ll have a good time, then’

Where are all the posters telling us to "be patient, it will turn"? Where are the posters who are "happy with the list" & "happy with what we've got"? Where are the posters who were "thrilled to sing the song" after we beat GC last year? Where are the posters who were mesmerised by our first 40 minutes against Freo which gave us a "great glimpse into the future"?

Our list is worse this year, than it was last year, so how could anyone have expected on-field improvement, other than through rose-coloured glasses?

Over summer, dozens of people asked me "How do you think North will go this year?" I told every one of them "Guaranteed bottom 2."
Most people were surprised. Some would say "You're going in the right direction. You've got a good young list." I'd just laugh.

Wow, you must be so happy to be right

*the year is 2034, a park somewhere in the East of Melbourne. Aidan Corr kicks the footy with his kids

Kids 1: ‘so did you play in the AFL dad?’

AC: ‘certainly did mate. In fact, I played lots of games. Actually, a lot more than a player with my skill set should of’

Kid 2: ‘did you ever win a grand final or a best and fairest?’

AC: ‘na mate. Far from it. In fact, I was one of the main reasons one of the greatest coaches the game has seen has his legacy f**ked’

Kid 1: ‘who did ya play for again’

AC: ‘north Melbourne mate. They aren’t around anymore’

Kid 2: ‘yeah right. Anyway, dad can you kick the footy here. And try kick it within 20 metres of me this time’

AC: ‘haha. I dont do that son. I just dont do that’

*camera freezes on a smiling Aidan Corr, song begins to play: ‘and the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon, little boy blue and the man in the moon, when you’re coming home son I don’t know when, but we’ll get together then, son, you know we’ll have a good time, then’
Strange thought, how many games of football has Corr actually won?
I mean he played with gws when they were under the pump as well.

Wow, you must be so happy to be right
Nobody is happy. What the Big DF is doing is pointing the finger at those twits who ignored what was in front of them and chose to belittle the truth tellers of this forum. Anyway, it’s time for you to head off to your Axis of Ordinary Thread. A want a few new names from you. :stern look

Strange thought, how many games of football has Corr actually won?
I mean he played with gws when they were under the pump as well.

He actually played in a Grand Final. When I say 'played' I mean he was out on the field whilst a while bunch of Richmond players did whatever they liked.

In respect to Clarko specifically, we do have to be patient. He’s been there for all of 5 minutes!!

Nobody is happy. What the Big DF is doing is pointing the finger at those twits who ignored what was in front of them and chose to belittle the truth tellers of this forum. Anyway, it’s time for you to head off to your Axis of Ordinary Thread. A want a few new names from you. :stern look

What I would give for an axis of ordinary now. As opposed to a myriad of s**t

My mate went to that game. Said had the game gone half a second longer Warrnambool would have won.

He actually said Cunners did not do a lot.
Yep he bobbed up to boot 2 and that was pretty much it…they were coming home with a wet sail….and would have won…agree with your mate…his first two games were workman like for down here….has been pretty handy over his three games though….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night's loss didn't even really change anything for me as I went in about as low as a fan can go into a game. Watching it first hand and seeing the fallout (mostly justified) has actually changed my attitude.

I think I've entered into Stockholm Syndrome or something because the more I read about fans wanting Clarko gone or the club folded it just makes me want to back the boys even more. I'll turn up to the Saints game in two weeks and North won't be much better. I know that. It doesn't change that quick but ill still give the youngsters much more time to show me what they've got. I won't get started on our senior players as it's all already been said.

I think Clarkson would love to come out and say we don't have good enough leaders, that we don't have big enough bodies, that he already knows who he wants to cut but he can't say any of that can he.

To answer the question. Is this rock bottom? The only way this possibly gets worse is if our high end talent decides to play somewhere else so time will tell.

It was always going to be rough going into this year unless everything went perfectly, we were poor last year and are now extremely young.

The winless season will be the jewel in the crown.
If anything, it will test the character of a few members and supporters. I can see the possibility of some doing what Richmond, Carlton and St Kilda supporters had done during their lean patches by carrying on as though it's the end of the world. Others will watch what unfolds, recognising that there is a rebuild that's still in its' earliest phases, that the development team have only just begun this year to work with the team and that the list is still full of holes - especially in the age-groups and positions that are the most critical to on-field success. It will be a bloody hard watch over the next few seasons for those who remain on board with North. Even then, there's no certainty that the team will rise to make finals or win premierships.

I actually think rock bottom was the times when the list was decent, ready to go and for various reasons they under-achieved. But that's probably just me.

If anything, it will test the character of a few members and supporters. I can see the possibility of some doing what Richmond, Carlton and St Kilda supporters had done during their lean patches by carrying on as though it's the end of the world. Others will watch what unfolds, recognising that there is a rebuild that's still in its' earliest phases, that the development team have only just begun this year to work with the team and that the list is still full of holes - especially in the age-groups and positions that are the most critical to on-field success. It will be a bloody hard watch over the next few seasons for those who remain on board with North. Even then, there's no certainty that the team will rise to make finals or win premierships.

I actually think rock bottom was the times when the list was decent, ready to go and for various reasons they under-achieved. But that's probably just me.
Yeah I think you're right. The qualifying final against Geelong in 07 was torture. Hated that game. Couldn't tell you who played well for us or how many goals we kicked etc. Nor Geelong. I do rmemebr corey Jones injuring himself just before finals tho, a forgotten gun

i saw rock bottom recently and it was a soothing experience,

heres a pic for others to consider, it was taken at the busselton aquarium, you can make out the rock bottom between the pylons.

1713784927367.png

Well all the talk of us having the toughest draw in the competition, how could we expect to cope ....it's so unfair...

All teams have now played 6 games - we have played 3 against teams in the 8 and 3 who are not ...and we have our next 2 games against 15th and 13th respectively.

So despite all the carry on and drama our draw hasn't been tough at all - it has been in line with the rest of the competition. We were just making excuses, more deflections and not owning the real cause of the problem.

Well all the talk of us having the toughest draw in the competition, how could we expect to cope ....it's so unfair...

All teams have now played 6 games - we have played 3 against teams in the 8 and 3 who are not ...and we have our next 2 games against 15th and 13th respectively.

So despite all the carry on and drama our draw hasn't been tough at all - it has been in line with the rest of the competition. We were just making excuses, more deflections and not owning the real cause of the problem.
I actually reckon the media around your lot has been putrid, how many of your lot has played 50 games? 100? 200? I would suggest after atleast last years draft crop have played 50 games you’ll actually be one of if not the most talented lists going around. And then there’s clarko, quadruple premiership coach, he knows what he’s doing. I was at rock bottom before we showed something against Sydney and it was literally that game and the senior players gelling with our youngsters that turned us around, we are still far from a complete package but you can see it, there will be a big appreciation I hope when you guys see it too, point of this post is just stick fat with your club and go to games it’s tough but it meant everything to our players during the tough times…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back