Interviews, podcasts & upcoming media info [post media articles in relevant threads]

Remove this Banner Ad

SEN going hell for leather on the academies this morning, mostly focusing GC.

Though at one point tried top rope Will and Levi in to the discussion.

Pretty obvious they have nfi what they are talking about.
To be fair I think they (certainly Garry) admitted as much.

Sam Edmund jumped in later defending the northern academies pretty vigorously.

SEN going hell for leather on the academies this morning, mostly focusing GC.

Though at one point tried top rope Will and Levi in to the discussion.

Pretty obvious they have nfi what they are talking about.

Most of these peanuts can’t understand that certain clubs have players playing for them who would otherwise not have been available but for the expansion of talent created by the academies. And that without the academies a lot of the academy guys that have been drafted would never have been draftable or would be playing other sports at the elite level.

I don’t know how you’d do it, but I wish the academy picks could be sorted out pre-National draft. Then this wouldn’t be a problem.

Most of these peanuts can’t understand that certain clubs have players playing for them who would otherwise not have been available but for the expansion of talent created by the academies. And that without the academies a lot of the academy guys that have been drafted would never have been draftable or would be playing other sports at the elite level.

I don’t know how you’d do it, but I wish the academy picks could be sorted out pre-National draft. Then this wouldn’t be a problem.
Personally I'd like to see the southern and western clubs still given better access to their own academy players. More like it was before the changes a few years ago. That would not affect the access to players we might have access to from our academies, but would probably keep the southern clubs quiet for a while.

Even the points system, I didn't mind David King's thoughts last year... Just say that if a player from your academy is selected by another club, you have to have a draft pick available within the next (say) 10 picks to be able to take him. And obviously live pick trading is available to help clubs facilitate this, even if they're not able to arrange the necessary picks beforehand.

Means you can scrap the points system which honestly is a farce, when you look at what we had to first acquire and then give up to get Will Ashcroft.

Personally I'd like to see the southern and western clubs still given better access to their own academy players. More like it was before the changes a few years ago. That would not affect the access to players we might have access to from our academies, but would probably keep the southern clubs quiet for a while.

Even the points system, I didn't mind David King's thoughts last year... Just say that if a player from your academy is selected by another club, you have to have a draft pick available within the next (say) 10 picks to be able to take him. And obviously live pick trading is available to help clubs facilitate this, even if they're not able to arrange the necessary picks beforehand.

Means you can scrap the points system which honestly is a farce, when you look at what we had to first acquire and then give up to get Will Ashcroft.
I think canning the 20% discount would be a logical first step.

Also eliminating the loophole of trading early picks for a tranche of layer picks for a points grab would help - if you can only take as many draft picks as free list spots, I don't see why you should be able to stockpile them after the draft has begun. Sure it's benefitted us in the past, but being unbiased I can't see why it occurs, other than satisfying the AFL selling the draft as an revenue-generating TV event.

As to your first paragraph, if those clubs actually put a modicum of effort into their academies, I wouldn't be opposed.

Is part of the problem not that the southern clubs largely have no interest in committing funds and resources to running academies because they already have significant structural advantages re the existing talent pool?

It’s hard bc I’m obviously a fan of the academies and we benefit from them. But there needs to be some reward for us resourcing and operating an academy which increases the overall talent pool. Recognition of the challenges we face up here and the need for the academies, especially with a 19th team coming in.

Is part of the problem not that the southern clubs largely have no interest in committing funds and resources to running academies because they already have significant structural advantages re the existing talent pool?

It’s hard bc I’m obviously a fan of the academies and we benefit from them. But there needs to be some reward for us resourcing and operating an academy which increases the overall talent pool. Recognition of the challenges we face up here and the need for the academies, especially with a 19th team coming in.
That was basically the reason why the NGA stuff got rolled back. There was negligible organisation or development by the academies, but rather clubs were spending more money on checking the heritage of players already in the elite pathways from their areas than actually developing players who wouldn't otherwise make those pathways.

The argument I have an issue with relates to bemoaning Hawthorn’s position which there’s been a fair bit of in recent days. I mean they were untouchable during all those compromised drafts when Suns and Giants came through, won three premierships less than 10 years ago, have probably been the most successful club in the last 40 years and the angst that they may struggle like us and many other clubs is sending the Vics into hysterics.

That was basically the reason why the NGA stuff got rolled back. There was negligible organisation or development by the academies, but rather clubs were spending more money on checking the heritage of players already in the elite pathways from their areas than actually developing players who wouldn't otherwise make those pathways.

This - it became an ancestry.com exercise rather than actually doing any genuine training/development outside of the existing pathways.

The argument I have an issue with relates to bemoaning Hawthorn’s position which there’s been a fair bit of in recent days. I mean they were untouchable during all those compromised drafts when Suns and Giants came through, won three premierships less than 10 years ago, have probably been the most successful club in the last 40 years and the angst that they may struggle like us and many other clubs is sending the Vics into hysterics.
Victorian clubs didn't give a s**t when GC and GWS monopolised the draft, GC took our players, and go home 5 happened. We weren't even in the top 8 for one week for around 8 years.
Stronger northern clubs also make it more difficult to entice players back home and local players to leave, often for unders. Also, some of their players now actually want to join the northern clubs. They have all just realised that Tasmania joining us going to screw many Victorian clubs over. Shock horror!

(I do agree that a better system is needed.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Latest KickOns Podcast with Kiddy Coleman is really good, well worth the listen, great banter, they touch on Kiddy bulking up during rehab, Bruce Reville coming in, personal career highlight, Q Clash.

Cal and Anthony Corrie do a better job than Bez and Clug.

Latest KickOns Podcast with Kiddy Coleman is really good, well worth the listen, great banter, they touch on Kiddy bulking up during rehab, Bruce Reville coming in, personal career highlight, Q Clash.

Cal and Anthony Corrie do a better job than Bez and Clug.
I'll give it a listen. They were terrible early and I stopped listening. They were clearly nervous having been thrown in the deep end on short notice.

Mal Michael on the front bar tonight if anyone interested

Remove this Banner Ad

Back