Roast If You Don't Stand For Something...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct.
I meant the marriage act.

So it would have been advantageous you would think to hold a plebiscite and find out what all Australians want don't you think?

It is a major issue since it's been part of our culture and country for hundreds of years right?

There's been numerous opinion polls on the subject, the overwhelming majority of which have concluded that the majority of Australians support same-sex marriage. In rough terms it's usually about 60% for, 30% against, 10% don't care. There's plenty of info out there for our elected officials to inform themselves as to what the public wants.

Plenty of issues have been part of our culture and country for hundreds of years. None of them have required a giant taxpayer-funded survey, until now. And again, the Marriage Act has actually only expressly excluded same-sex marriage for a little over a decade. Not hundreds of years.

Exactly.

That's their fear through all this.
It is a major issue as it affect not just the marriage definition but it potentially has far reaching ramifications.

I think the scare mongering that is going on about these other "ramifications" have pretty much been disproved when looking at other countries that have already gone through the process.

Your right we are no longer a Christian nation hence the ever changing moral landscape

We have never been a Christian nation. You know that thing I said about the Constitution prescribing freedom of religion? That's been there since Federation.

We're not a Christian nation. We're supposed to be a secular nation. Freedom of religion is enshrined in the Constitution - that's freedom to follow the religion of your choice, not freedom of the Christian church to dictate what laws we can and can't pass without a massive public poll.

The government introduced this poll not he churches right. You do.know that don't you?

And why shouldn't this be debated and put to the public? Our country was founded on Christian principles and I believe it's what has made our country such a great one. It's a changed and some of this change needs to be debated and everyone deserves their right to vote.
Not just some pigs Ina political trough wanting to buy votes

I think the scare mongering that is going on about these other "ramifications" have pretty much been disproved when looking at other countries that have already gone through the process.

Like churches in Canada now not allowed to refuse to marry homosexuals?
And the same thing being spoken about by the UK prime minister?

We have never been a Christian nation. You know that thing I said about the Constitution prescribing freedom of religion? That's been there since Federation.
Correct. At that time 90 odd % of people identified as Christians. The royal family are Christians etc etc so many of our laws were based around that moral compass. This is why I said "Christian" because it is only in theory but never officially. An example of law was Sunday trading.

The government introduced this poll not he churches right. You do.know that don't you?

And why shouldn't this be debated and put to the public? Our country was founded on Christian principles and I believe it's what has made our country such a great one. It's a changed and some of this change needs to be debated and everyone deserves their right to vote.
I agree, but this is one of those times where we can pick and choose which Christian principles to keep. Their stance on LGBT issues is probably not an essential one

What you are saying in the first comment is akin to what has happened to people throughout the history of racism and villification. But it's ok because it's your opinion and the so called "right" opinion.

No, what has happened throughout history is people who are non white and people who are LGBT have been murdered, tortured, kept as slaves, abused, treated as sub-human and discriminated against in all sorts of ******* horrendous ways, many of which continue throughout the world today.

So you know what, I'm so ******* sorry that I've disagreed with you and told you that you're opinion is wrong. I'm sorry that apparently, the discrimination that every white, straight person faces today is apparently now the equal of all of the above. I'm sorry that for trying to stand up for non white, LGBT folks, I'm now the equal of slave owners, Hitler, whoever the * you want.

FiveStrings I tried with this god damn thread. Lock it. Delete it. I don't give a *. Get rid of it.

There's been numerous opinion polls on the subject, the overwhelming majority of which have concluded that the majority of Australians support same-sex marriage. In rough terms it's usually about 60% for, 30% against, 10% don't care. There's plenty of info out there for our elected officials to inform themselves as to what the public wants.

Plenty of issues have been part of our culture and country for hundreds of years. None of them have required a giant taxpayer-funded survey, until now. And again, the Marriage Act has actually only expressly excluded same-sex marriage for a little over a decade. Not hundreds of years.

Right so before ten years ago could same sex couples marry?

No, what has happened throughout history is people who are non white and people who are LGBT have been murdered, tortured, kept as slaves, abused, treated as sub-human and discriminated against in all sorts of ******* horrendous ways, many of which continue throughout the world today.

So you know what, I'm so ******* sorry that I've disagreed with you and told you that you're opinion is wrong. I'm sorry that apparently, the discrimination that every white, straight person faces today is apparently now the equal of all of the above. I'm sorry that for trying to stand up for non white, LGBT folks, I'm now the equal of slave owners, Hitler, whoever the **** you want.

FiveStrings I tried with this god damn thread. Lock it. Delete it. I don't give a ****. Get rid of it.

My opinion isn't wrong.

I'm staying the AFL should stay out of it.
And I don't give a s**t what you think about my opinion.

I didn't say it was equal either. I'm asking you based on your statement how much vilification is acceptable?

Tony Abbott was head butted for saying he voted no. Is this ok because he wasn't tortured?

You seem to apply different standards based on people's opinions.

In a democratic society you have to respect the right of others to express their opinion. Even moreso of you post in a forum and clearly want a reaction from people.

I agree, but this is one of those times where we can pick and choose which Christian principles to keep. Their stance on LGBT issues is probably not an essential one

Well isn't that for the majority to decide?

Not some grubby politicians looking for votes?

My opinion isn't wrong.

I'm staying the AFL should stay out of it.
And I don't give a s**t what you think about my opinion.

I didn't say it was equal either. I'm asking you based on your statement how much vilification is acceptable?

Tony Abbott was head butted for saying he voted no. Is this ok because he wasn't tortured?

You seem to apply different standards based on people's opinions.

I talked about

MURDER
TORTURE
SLAVERY

You came back with
Tony Abbott having a very, very slight bruise from a headbutt from someone who was half cut and said it had nothing to do with SSM

Then you said I was applying different standards.

The government, through the handiwork of some ultra-conservative religiously-minded powerbrokers in their midst, sure.

Everyone deserves their right to vote, yes. They get to exercise that right every three years when their representative stands for re-election. Other than that, unless there's a change to the constitution then it's up to those elected representatives to make the laws they think best represent the will of their constituents.

We can have a debate about what's made this country great. I think it's our multiculturalism and willingness to accept anyone who's prepared to make a go of it. That's changed and some of that change needs to be debated, but no-one's calling for a plebiscite on whether we should maintain offshore detention centres.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I talked about

MURDER
TORTURE
SLAVERY

You came back with
Tony Abbott having a very, very slight bruise from a headbutt from someone who was half cut and said it had nothing to do with SSM

Then you said I was applying different standards.

So some villification is ok?

What about the lady who.lost her job because she said she voted no.

I'm not trying to minimise their suffering.

I'm saying if you want equality for all and no villification in our county it's supposed to be for everyone and there is supposed to be no abuse.
No.matyer what level it is.

FiveStrings I tried with this god damn thread. Lock it. Delete it. I don't give a ****. Get rid of it.

Did you miss the whole "I'm retiring, I'm basically this board's Priddis, thanks for all the memories" thing?

The government, through the handiwork of some ultra-conservative religiously-minded powerbrokers in their midst, sure.

Everyone deserves their right to vote, yes. They get to exercise that right every three years when their representative stands for re-election. Other than that, unless there's a change to the constitution then it's up to those elected representatives to make the laws they think best represent the will of their constituents.

We can have a debate about what's made this country great. I think it's our multiculturalism and willingness to accept anyone who's prepared to make a go of it. That's changed and some of that change needs to be debated, but no-one's calling for a plebiscite on whether we should maintain offshore detention centres.

And the people exercised their vote voting in a conservative party who went to the election with a platform of having a plebiscite.
I would say that gives them the right to hold said plebiscite because the people voted.

And is the our multicultural society based on love for your fellow man which came from where exactly?

Is that accurate? I know some churches have chosen to perform marriages which is different to being forced.

It is accurate based on what I've read.
I'm. Happy to be proven wrong though.

I did hear that Theresa May was discussing introducing a similar law.

And the people exercised their vote voting in a conservative party who went to the election with a platform of having a plebiscite.
I would say that gives them the right to hold said plebiscite because the people voted.

And is the our multicultural society based on love for your fellow man which came from where exactly?

They were voted in on a large number of policies, of which that was but one. Scraping back into office on a microscopic majority doesn't exactly give them a mandate to implement every scheme they ran on. In the same way they're apparently not bound by every promise they make.

And if you want me to answer that last question you're going to need to either add some words or remove some, because as it's written right now I can't understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back