Roast If You Don't Stand For Something...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, * it, I need to go there.

Over half the league has now pledged their support for marriage equality in the upcoming postal vote, and when given the chance to join the list, our club took the coward's way out.

This club has hundreds, if not thousands of LGBT supporters. We would've had multiple gay players, and there's a definite possibility that there would be a gay player or players on our list at the moment. Not to mention the many out players currently playing in the AFLW competition the club seems so desperate to make money from get involved in.

Sadly, I don't think it would surprise anyone that when given the chance to make a positive stand on behalf of those that are forced to endure this bullshit, the club would rather sit on the fence so as to not risk hurting the bottom line.

If you don't stand for something, you stand for nothing, and I can't think of a sentence that sums this football club up better.

Side note: If you come in here trying to extoll the virtues of voting no, I can't describe how little I care for your opinion, and how quickly I will tell you to **** off.
Same goes back to you mate. Maybe some people don't want gay marriage and so they aren't jumping on the yes wankfest. They just don't outrightly say no because of ****heads like you going ape s**t. How about we let the club concentrate on football yeah. Why should it devide people on other issues??

First I've heard of this and I'm very, very disappointed in the club. No wonder I feel like the club is still in the dark ages sometimes.
And also * Sam Newman. If the AFL had changed their logo to a big 'NO' and copped flak for it, he probably would've had a rant about how we should respect free speech.
The only people I have ever seen use the term 'virtue signalling' are bigots or racists on internet forums dismissing rational people as 'SJW's'...

Edit: Twitter link not working? Has it been deleted?

Same goes back to you mate. Maybe some people don't want gay marriage and so they aren't jumping on the yes wankfest. They just don't outrightly say no because of ****heads like you going ape s**t. How about we let the club concentrate on football yeah. Why should it devide people on other issues??
Don't want gay marriage, don't marry one then! Keep you nose out of other people's lives.
I'm with you Ochre, disappointed with the stance of the club

Strong yes voter here. Agree with your sentiments but not at all surprised by the club mostly being concerned with not offending anyone. At least we didn't do a Carlton and put out a statement on social media attempting to have it both ways.

The stupid thing about it all is that most of corporate Australia has backed marriage equality - I can't be bothered looking it up but assume there'd be WC board members who serve on other boards that are pro-SSM. Would assume most players would also be in favour given the age profiles, plus a lot of staff. Really you're just sending a signal to a lot of your own people that you don't consider them equal

If you're looking to a football club for moral guidance, you've buggered up somewhere.

DKTcuFOUMAEEj60.jpg:large

Perfect response in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sport is unique in that it's enjoyed by a much larger spread of people than most other organisations/events. It's always played a part in politics and social change and this is no different.

This is isn't about yes/no. This is about supporting the LGBT people associated with the club that suffer violence, mental illness, suicide and more at much higher rates than the rest of the populace. The same people who are the actual ones suffering during this stupid vote, not the people who are 'suffering' by being called bigots for being bigoted.

If you're looking to a football club for moral guidance, you've buggered up somewhere.
It's a large organisation with a huge, loyal following, regardless if whether its where people should be looking or not, the pull it has is massive, and when you have that power, it's irresponsible to not use it for the betterment of all.

Perfect response in my opinion.
Rubbish. It's cowardice. Too scared of offending anyone to say anything helpful.

Oh thank **** we didnt take a stand on either side. Was starting to worry we'd join the sheep. We should take no side in this.
There is no 'no side' in this. You're either for equality or if not, then pretty much by definition you're against it.

Don't want gay marriage, don't marry one then! Keep you nose out of other people's lives.
I'm with you Ochre, disappointed with the stance of the club
By your daft logic we should allow people to do anything they want in society (fill in the blank) and just simply support it. You just keep your nose out of other people's lives. You might support it but I don't. You might support it but the club doesn't so stop Imposing your ideals on others

Why should the club take a stance on this issue? Why don't they take a stance against global warming, the live export trade, euthanasia or any other topic? They are a bloody football club and everyone can take a stance by voting no or yes. There may be people running the club who vote no and that's their choice. I'm more interested in the club securing McGovern's contract rather than taking a stance on this issue. Yeah I think gay people should be able to get married if they want so I'll vote yes but I don't expect West Coast to pretend to be a moral compass

By your daft logic we should allow people to do anything they want in society (fill in the blank) and just simply support it. You just keep your nose out of other people's lives. You might support it but I don't. You might support it but the club doesn't so stop Imposing your ideals on others
How does it effect your life?

It's believed that this would do wonders for the mental health of LGBT teens, reducing the disgustingly large numbers of suicides from that group. But please, tell me what change to your life it would make that is more important.

Its a footy club not a political party, you don't need them to tell you what to do, if they made a strong statement on this issue would you want them to do the same for the numerous other social/political issues? Hey Nissie what should we do about North Korea's nuclear programme?
So if someone wearing a Nazi symbol on top of their Eagles jersey started spouting racist Nazi c**tspeak, the club should make a nothing statement saying they respect all opinions in interest of 'not being political'?

Its a footy club not a political party, you don't need them to tell you what to do, if they made a strong statement on this issue would you want them to do the same for the numerous other social/political issues? Hey Nissie what should we do about North Korea's nuclear programme?

Why should the club take a stance on this issue? Why don't they take a stance against global warming, the live export trade, euthanasia or any other topic? They are a bloody football club and everyone can take a stance by voting no or yes. There may be people running the club who vote no and that's their choice. I'm more interested in the club securing McGovern's contract rather than taking a stance on this issue. Yeah I think gay people should be able to get married if they want so I'll vote yes but I don't expect West Coast to pretend to be a moral compass

There is a clear difference between this and your standard political issue and I highly doubt you wouldn't be able to figure out what it is.

I'll be ticking both boxes couldn't care less either way. There is bigger s**t to worry about in this world than this crap !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back