Horsham District FL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened to Laharum to only score 2 goals for the day late in last quarter? I know it was wet, but are the Kees that good or are there problems for the mountain men?

What happened to Laharum to only score 2 goals for the day late in last quarter? I know it was wet, but are the Kees that good or are there problems for the mountain men?

Kees played very well, helped by the usual standard of umpiring to get some early free kicks in front of goals! Goals were very hard to come by after the first quarter and Kalkee played harder and tougher on the day. But I wouldnt discount Laharum, they are a better side than Saturdays game.
On Sunday Decker helped Rupanyup over the line with some timely 50 metre penalties. Rup did play a lot better in the second half of the game though and did run a lot harder.
But i think the umpires influenced the winners of both days with some of there decisions and inconsistencies.

Can anyone tell me how things went at Great Western with the Great Saviour Sonny? Notice there's been no talk of a finals appearance, so was the punt worth while?

Yeah look overall he did a pretty good job with what he had to work with!! Hurls was injured for 3/4 of the season which was a big blow for us and Sonny himself was out with a broken thumb for about 5 weeks. Sam Young played the first half and didn't play the 2nd half of the season due to a knee injury!! Tampon Shalders was in for 1 and out for 3 for most of the season with niggling injuries and Budgie "I s**t in an esky on Mad Monday" Dalziel only played a handful of senior games as he played the rest of the year in the 2's because of family commitments!! Having those blokes out for a large portion of the season and along with other injuries didn't help our season at all!! We just didn't have enough depth within the club to cover those losses!! We also had no major target up forward which made it hard for us to kick a winning score.....He spoke good and had good ideas on the track, the only thing was the lack of commitment from mainly some of senior players towards the end of the year on the track.......the numbers like usual dropped off towards the latter part of the season!! There was prob 3-4 games throughout the season too which we could of won but just didn't have the fire power to take hold of the contest when it was up for grabs........ecspecially the game against NQ when we were 17 points up at 3Q time and went down!!

So therefore considering our ladder position which was 7th compared to last seasons 8th you could say that he did a reasonable job!!

So is he staying on next year or is it too early to say? It's been a fair drought between finals, is the club getting sick of meadiocre results given their list was reasonable a couple of years ago? Are there any good young blokes around or is the list getting too old? I assume there is still a heavy reliance on the same old names.

So is he staying on next year or is it too early to say? It's been a fair drought between finals, is the club getting sick of meadiocre results given their list was reasonable a couple of years ago? Are there any good young blokes around or is the list getting too old? I assume there is still a heavy reliance on the same old names.

Not quite sure.....have spoken to him about it and he is undecided at this
stage!! I think he has the option to do it for another season if he wants!!

Good question in regards to what we have produced or should I say what we haven't produced over the past few years!! 3 seasons ago we had a good list but with the same old sorry story in that injuries hurt us
somewhat......what the problem was was that we lost all of our players that we had recruited for that year the season after......this is after they had come to our club committing for 2 years and also giving their word to Hurls at seasons end, then bailing the season after. Their was Boonga Clayton, Billy & Sam Norton and Matty Consodine....now Boonga kicked 70 odd for the year, Conso & Sam were terrific for us all year and Billy who coached with Hurls gave us good leadership and was a live wire up forward!! Loosing all these blokes hurt us big time!!

Our biggest problem over the years has been trying to hold onto
blokes.....we've had so many blokes play with the club for a year or maybe
2 then piss off the season after!! There has been Lee Mooney who coached us for a year then left, Megsy and Ross Panther this year which put a dent in our forward line, Craig Cooper and Brock Baker, Sam Anyon played a couple of games for us, Brian Thomas
last season for the 2nd half....all of these being qualities players!! We've been able to recruit ok each year but just unable to hold onto our core group of players from the previous year!!

Their is some good young players at the club with the likes of Boofa Thomas, Bobby Garley, Leigh Preston, Wilba Williams and overall the list is quite young but their is no doubt still a heavy reliance on blokes like Hurls and even Nathan to a lesser extent!! I think the club needs to go down the track of seriously looking at the type and kinda player that they are going to recruit........u need players that r going to stick with the club and build it up to be successful!!

Shocking decision in yesterdays game by the umpires.

Mal Adams had a clear run, Horsham end of the ground near the 50m where he obviously bounced the ball after taking probably 10 or so steps. He took another 10 or so and was pulled up for running too far. Get some eyes ump! Worst decision i have seen. Luckily the other ump helped out and a free kick was awarded to Adams.

Not quite sure.....have spoken to him about it and he is undecided at this
stage!! I think he has the option to do it for another season if he wants!!

Good question in regards to what we have produced or should I say what we haven't produced over the past few years!! 3 seasons ago we had a good list but with the same old sorry story in that injuries hurt us
somewhat......what the problem was was that we lost all of our players that we had recruited for that year the season after......this is after they had come to our club committing for 2 years and also giving their word to Hurls at seasons end, then bailing the season after. Their was Boonga Clayton, Billy & Sam Norton and Matty Consodine....now Boonga kicked 70 odd for the year, Conso & Sam were terrific for us all year and Billy who coached with Hurls gave us good leadership and was a live wire up forward!! Loosing all these blokes hurt us big time!!

Our biggest problem over the years has been trying to hold onto
blokes.....we've had so many blokes play with the club for a year or maybe
2 then piss off the season after!! There has been Lee Mooney who coached us for a year then left, Megsy and Ross Panther this year which put a dent in our forward line, Craig Cooper and Brock Baker, Sam Anyon played a couple of games for us, Brian Thomas last season for the 2nd half....all of these being qualities players!! We've been able to recruit ok each year but just unable to hold onto our core group of players from the previous year!!

Their is some good young players at the club with the likes of Boofa Thomas, Bobby Garley, Leigh Preston, Wilba Williams and overall the list is quite young but their is no doubt still a heavy reliance on blokes like Hurls and even Nathan to a lesser extent!! I think the club needs to go down the track of seriously looking at the type and kinda player that they are going to recruit........u need players that r going to stick with the club and build it up to be successful!!

It can be a really hard thing to put your finger on, as to why the club struggles to retain players. I know from personal experience however that during my 2 yrs for the club back in 01 & 02, that there are a lot of great people there trying really hard, Hurleys, McCartneys, Cadzows and the like.

I know that when I joined the club it was on the brink of financial extinction, and had to do the hard yards of blooding young kids to fill the 1's, whith out having the funds to recruit top line players from Stawell or Ararat. It's a shame now that the club has pulled itself out of the red, that it hasnt been able to build some success around those kids, that would now have 5-6 yrs of senior footy behind them.

Instability in the coaching ranks can always be viewed as a having a negative impact on a young sides development. Might sound like sour grapes but I feel that during the period that Sammy Giles and I were at the helm that we were starting to have a positive impact on the playing group and didnt miss the finals by all that much in our second year. At the end of the 02 season we were both asked by the club to re-apply for the coaching positions, presumably because they were happy with our performance, commitment & progress? History will show that in 03 they appointed Mooney, and went backwards.

Now at that stage of the clubs regrowth all the talk from the president down (and I served on the committee that year), was that they wanted to build a family orrientated club. Both Sammy and I have 2 kids each, whom are now at the age to play footy & netball.

Personally I felt gutted by how it was all handled, as I thought I had come to a club that I was going to play out my career at, and had invested so much time in to the club through playing, coaching, chasing sponsors, fund raising & serving on the committee.

Yes it might be a long time ago now, but wounds run deep. I now live in Melbourne, but I still watch with interest how the club performs, and wish the people of Gt Western some long awaited success on the footy field.

Having played against and along side of Sonny, I urge the club to do everyting possible to retain him for next season and beyond, as it will take time for him to build success, not just 1 or 2 seasons. He will know what it takes to get the club there I'm sure, as he has experienced both ends of the ledger. It's a whole culture that needs to be rebuilt.

Thanks for the input Heals. I was there those couple of years to, and agree. It's always disappointing to be asked to apply for the job and be overlooked because it is the thing that will keep the most people on side.

What happened to the southern roos last week
Kalkee flogged them. Can whoever gets up in the prelim this weekend beat them or is it Kalkees flag for the taking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It can be a really hard thing to put your finger on, as to why the club struggles to retain players. I know from personal experience however that during my 2 yrs for the club back in 01 & 02, that there are a lot of great people there trying really hard, Hurleys, McCartneys, Cadzows and the like.

I know that when I joined the club it was on the brink of financial extinction, and had to do the hard yards of blooding young kids to fill the 1's, whith out having the funds to recruit top line players from Stawell or Ararat. It's a shame now that the club has pulled itself out of the red, that it hasnt been able to build some success around those kids, that would now have 5-6 yrs of senior footy behind them.

Instability in the coaching ranks can always be viewed as a having a negative impact on a young sides development. Might sound like sour grapes but I feel that during the period that Sammy Giles and I were at the helm that we were starting to have a positive impact on the playing group and didnt miss the finals by all that much in our second year. At the end of the 02 season we were both asked by the club to re-apply for the coaching positions, presumably because they were happy with our performance, commitment & progress? History will show that in 03 they appointed Mooney, and went backwards.

Now at that stage of the clubs regrowth all the talk from the president down (and I served on the committee that year), was that they wanted to build a family orrientated club. Both Sammy and I have 2 kids each, whom are now at the age to play footy & netball.

Personally I felt gutted by how it was all handled, as I thought I had come to a club that I was going to play out my career at, and had invested so much time in to the club through playing, coaching, chasing sponsors, fund raising & serving on the committee.

Yes it might be a long time ago now, but wounds run deep. I now live in Melbourne, but I still watch with interest how the club performs, and wish the people of Gt Western some long awaited success on the footy field.

Having played against and along side of Sonny, I urge the club to do everyting possible to retain him for next season and beyond, as it will take time for him to build success, not just 1 or 2 seasons. He will know what it takes to get the club there I'm sure, as he has experienced both ends of the ledger. It's a whole culture that needs to be rebuilt.

Yeah good post Heals....I come to the club the year you left and aren't fully aware as to y u left and the reasons behind it but from ur posting I can understand y u would feel gutted!!

I can say tho that it has been a creditto all those involved that have dragged the club out of despare and have built the club into a very friendly and family orientated club that it now is!! The club prides itself on having a very friendly and family orientated culture that unfortunately hasn't had success over the years that it so deserves!!

You make some very good points and to start with it is hard to point the finger at y people/players leave the club which can range from work committments to personal reasons but its just dissappointing when those involve work real hard to lure quality players to only see them pack up and leave the year after......ecspecially when they have given there committment to the club for at least 2 years and also when the club has invested in them, hoping that they will give more than a 1 year committment.........cause when it happens all the hard work comes undone and ur back to square one!!

Another good point u make about the instability in the coaching ranks.......if u take it back from the season 2000 and now I'm not sure who coached back in that year but I'm presuming that it was someone before urself and Sammy, but from then to date there has been 5 different coaches!! Hurls had the longest stint in 4 years and is one that has been unlucky not to have had success cause of most involved with the club he is one that has so much deserved success at the club but has unfortunately not had it!! Thats prob not a good ratio when u look at it to have had 5 different coaches in 8 years and when u look back at the season after you coached Heals...my first year at the club when Lee Mooney coached I think its fair to say that that season was an absolute failure and he too was another that committed to come back to the club the following year just as a player to repay back the faith that the club held in him!!

Now as pointed out in my previous post I'm not quite sure of Sonny's intentions for next season, however if he does not persue the job again I hope that he sticks with the club as he is just one of those kinda players/people that the club needs....in that he has tasted success on numerous occassions and this is what the club needs around em and so sincerely deserves!!

Like u Heals I am moving on from the club next season heading over West and will so eagerly watch with interest how the club performs, and also wish the people of Gt Western some long awaited success on the footy field. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

I'm tipping either Phil Butsch from Laharum or Steve Shultz from Kalkee!!
Well i reckon nathan i swallowed a beanbag shalders is a good chance 2 win the TAMPON trophy 4 the league lets have a look at his year.
r1in
r2out
r3out
r4out
r5in
r6in
r7out
r8out
r9out
r10in
r11out
r12out
r13out
r14in
r15in
r16out
r17out
r18in
Well i must say thats pretty consistant with a tampon so could luck NATHAN on monday night.

Thats a shame Mighty as i would love to play against you next season. You will be missed by the western. You have done a great job with the numbers you had and should be proud of what you done. All the best with your future whatever it may bring. I am seriously thinking about coaching myself, will wait and see what unfolds. If not i will love to skipper the side as it is a job i really enjoy doing.:thumbsu:
Well done Zane Mitton you deserved your win in the league best and fairest!

Any news up north about Pimp's new coach?
I hear that Joel Price and/or Matt Everett are the frontrunners?
Can anyone shed some light on this?

Yeah mate. Price and Everett have both signed up and recieved deposits. But Price has come out and said he made his decision too early and is having second thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back