Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Scodges

Debutant
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Yankees, Everton
What was the name given by HG on This Sporting Life for the Crows in their early days? Was it the Giviters? Where did the name come from? I thought it might be because the Crows were renowned for quick gives of the footy in those days ("Crow throws"). I can't find any reference to it on Google. [Inveterate Crows fans might know].

What other really, really obscure and funny names do people have for their or other clubs?

What was the name given by HG on This Sporting Life for the Crows in their early days? Was it the Giviters? Where did the name come from? I thought it might be because the Crows were renowned for quick gives of the footy in those days ("Crow throws"). I can't find any reference to it on Google. [Inveterate Crows fans might know].

What other really, really obscure and funny names do people have for their or other clubs?

Off the top of my head, and assuming everyone knows Gorillas, Pivotonians, Mayblooms etc, the only one I can think of is West Perth, who are referred to colloquially as the Garlic Munchers, because they attracted a following amongst migrants from Southern Europe, many of whom had market gardens.

Off the top of my head, and assuming everyone knows Gorillas, Pivotonians, Mayblooms etc, the only one I can think of is West Perth, who are referred to colloquially as the Garlic Munchers, because they attracted a following amongst migrants from Southern Europe, many of whom had market gardens.

I have spoken about this recently in here , why WP got the tag Garlic Munchers is quite baffling . I still call them the Cardies .
East Perth , Sth Freo and East Freo all have many Italian supporters , Fremantle has a massive Italian/Slav
community in market gardens , fishing , wharfies etc ...

Swan Districts - The Black Ducks

In the 60's East Perth were thinking of changing their name to the Eagles , then in the early 80's they tossed around the Rams .

I definately remember Sam Newman thinking it was funny to refer to the new Port Adelaide AFL franchise as 'The Smears' --- (Port Adelaide Power)... back when they joined in 97 or so

Sam Newman finds a lot of stuff funny that normal people don't. Not sure I'd want to use him as any sort of reference.

Yet another Port supporter having a crack at the Crows. Look up obsession in the dictionary..you t**** are like Jodie Fosters stalker...you just don't know when to quit

I can recall, from some year back in the late 1990s, hearing Crackers Keenan on ABC radio. With Adelaide in the process of losing the particular game they were playing, Crackers commented that the Crows should "go back to Crow-atia".

Yet another Port supporter having a crack at the Crows. Look up obsession in the dictionary..you t**** are like Jodie Fosters stalker...you just don't know when to quit
Calm down, he's just talking about colloquial names for teams.

Footscray- Imperials because of the colours.
Later became Bulldogs because of the same connection.

There are still plenty of country clubs called the Imperials.

Ha - very interesting if true.

Don't know if it counts as obscure, but it's amazing that the Coodabeens reference to Melbourne supporters and the snow has stuck so well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be wrong (often am), but I think Giviters was short for "Give it a rest"

The Essendon team that played in the VFA were known by the awesomely Victorian nickname "The Dreadnoughts".

I've always thought the VFA nicknames were a lot more colorful than their AFL counterparts, you had Dragons (Northcote), Devils (Oakleigh), Pengins (Brighton), Mustangs (Box Hill), Cobras (Camberwell) and my favorite Zebras (Sandringham).

The Essendon team that played in the VFA were known by the awesomely Victorian nickname "The Dreadnoughts".

I've always thought the VFA nicknames were a lot more colorful than their AFL counterparts, you had Dragons (Northcote), Devils (Oakleigh), Pengins (Brighton), Mustangs (Box Hill), Cobras (Camberwell) and my favorite Zebras (Sandringham).

Weren't Northcote also called the Brickfielders at one stage?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back