Help! Severe Muscle Cramps when playing footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Having trouble with muscle cramps in the calves too. Any chance those Skins calf tights would work?

are you stretching enough? how is your circulation and diet? are you hydrated enough?

are you stretching enough? how is your circulation and diet? are you hydrated enough?

I'd imagine so. Definitely hydrated enough this week, got a rub down before the game and during the breaks, been having quinine and magnesium, etc.

The last two weeks I have avoided cramping up during games. I am not sure whether it is because of my cramp prevention routine or whether the legs are just getting used to it.

I try to hydrate with water on the Friday before the game. On Saturday I have two powerades before the game and another one at half time. I also have Himalayan salt at half time and take Quinine tablets during the breaks. A rub down before the game is also essential!

Try calf compression tights, the benefits and effect of them is still debatable and I definitely dont want to swear by them.. but couldnt hurt to try?

They are expensive to buy; BUT I went on ebay and found this thing called "Miracle Socks" (lol yes a "As seen on TV!" product) which was only like $5 a pair, so bought some but was way too small at the foot bit and read somewhere that you dont want to compress your feet anyway.. so I chopped off the feet sections and got myself a pair of calf compression tights for $5! :p

Wearing them now actually after doing calf raises today and I swear its helping the throbbing, aching pain associated with said exercises!

Calf compression tights are great I use them alot, for even more benefit get full leg compression tights - much more effective.

Salt load before training/games.

Calf compression tights are great I use them alot, for even more benefit get full leg compression tights - much more effective.

Salt load before training/games.

salt load? really?

I know a lack of salt can cause cramps but the modern diet is likely to already contain excessive levels of salt.

How do you take it?

salt load? really?

I know a lack of salt can cause cramps but the modern diet is likely to already contain excessive levels of salt.

How do you take it?

A teaspoon of Himalayan Salt in water a few hours before training/game (maybe before a big meal), then to aid recovery take another glass of water with salt after training. Really helps me out, try it and see how you. Adjust the amount of salt and experiment.

I also cramp bad and it’s been happening for a while now. I Havnt made it past the third quarter in 2 years as not only is it my calves it cramps in it goes up to my hamstrings and then my quads. I again drink a lot of water way before the games and many days before and would say I eat well and always stay fit as I’ve just finished my futures WAFL season. I got my bloods checked a while ago to see if I was lacking anything and I was 100% on nearly everything. So I was wondering and seeking more help as no physio or anyone has been able to help me.
i also cramp and it’s been happening for a while now. It’s been 2 years now I Havnt made it past the 2nd quarter as I’ve cramped bad in not only calves but my hamstrings, quads and groin and I do not come back on. I drink approximately 3 L of water every day and stay well hydrated before the games and also eat fairly healthy. I would say I am fit as I’ve just finished my futures waffle season and we train nearly 3 times a week but I still tend to cramp in them games. But have now gone back to my local footy and still nothing has changed. I’ve seen many physios, but they’ve been able to do nothing about my cramps and have just suggested the same things. Awhile ago I got my bloods Checked out to see if I was lacking anything but everything came back that I was 100%, for example my potassium. So if you could please help me, it would be the world as I can’t finish any games

I had a massive one in my quad/upper thigh area yesterday afternoon while doing sandbag carries. I think it was probably because it was the first time in a week I had trained so I possibly overdid it a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)