Help! Severe Muscle Cramps when playing footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Onetonylockett

Team Captain
May 9, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
I get severe muscle cramps in my calves when I play. They normally occur in the last quarter of the game. They are so severe that my calves will seize up for 15 minutes, I can do nothing but lie in excruciating pain. Once I go off with a cramp (only in my calves) I can't go back on. When they seize up badly on game day I am limping for days after and only properly recover just before my next game on the Saturday.

I play in the midfield, do weights 5x per week, run 2x per week, have a solid 10minute stretching session 4x per week, I would like to think my diet is reasonably good.

I feel like I have tried everything from: Hydrating days before playing, staying hydrated during the game, drinking up to 1 litre of powerade during the game, using carbohydrate gels, eating a banana during the game, stretching before and during games, avoiding alcohol days before playing and take magnesium tablets. I do my leg weight training on a Monday (if my calves aren't fried from the game on the weekend).

The club physio hasn't been able to help me out nor has my GP thus far.

Anyone have any other ideas, suggestions or magical cures?

I get severe muscle cramps in my calves when I play. They normally occur in the last quarter of the game. They are so severe that my calves will seize up for 15 minutes, I can do nothing but lie in excruciating pain. Once I go off with a cramp (only in my calves) I can't go back on. When they seize up badly on game day I am limping for days after and only properly recover just before my next game on the Saturday.

I play in the midfield, do weights 5x per week, run 2x per week, have a solid 10minute stretching session 4x per week, I would like to think my diet is reasonably good.

I feel like I have tried everything from: Hydrating days before playing, staying hydrated during the game, drinking up to 1 litre of powerade during the game, using carbohydrate gels, eating a banana during the game, stretching before and during games, avoiding alcohol days before playing and take magnesium tablets. I do my leg weight training on a Monday (if my calves aren't fried from the game on the weekend).

The club physio hasn't been able to help me out nor has my GP thus far.

Anyone have any other ideas, suggestions or magical cures?
I'd say it's a strength/endurance issue. EIther that, or it's your running style, or maybe some weakness higher up causing your calves to be your prime source of power.

I would really work on glute strength through bridges, hip thrusts etc, and also on calf strength. Single leg calf raises, done very slowly with no weight, pushing through your big toe so your heel lifts quite high. If you can't do 30 of those then you need to be able to.

i too get calf cramps but so far this year i haven't have to go off because of them unlike last year where it did happen 3 - 5 times

potential solutions:

1 - carb/salt/hydrate load from thu am onwards

2 - train single leg hip extension hard...if you can't get full hip extension when you step during running then you're calf will need to more work to propel you forward as your glute can't

3 - cats fan mentioned similarly above but train your feet/big toe as both are probably very lazy and/or inhibited...ii've done that for the last few months and think they are contributing to limited cramps so far this season...'ve posted about both of them here:

http://aussierulestraining.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/training-ideas-youve-never-heard-of_24.html

http://aussierulestraining.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/training-ideas-youve-never-heard-of.html

also get a good deep calf rub pre game and maybe at half time again as well

Thanks guys, smashed out a few sets of bodyweight calf extensions, hip extensions and bulgarian split squats today.

Are there any kind of immediate cramp relief tablets you can take?

I also struggle especially from a layoff of playing ect.

Eg: I reckon youve missed a fair chunk of training/preseason, or arent getting continued training/games?

Pump yourself full of magneisum days out and on the day and at half time ect. Drink some gatorade/powerade as your main drink along with water of course.

Edit just read you do all the above

Maybe get a blood test ask the gp to see if they can test for any possible reasons as to why you get cramps, maybe something hormonal happening? not sure

Make sure your urine is clear before playing ect, maybe even weigh yourself before a game and after a game to see how much you are sweeting and if your really getting enough fluids in.

How old are you? how much training do you get through during the week? Sounds like you havnt got anywhere near enough kms in your legs for the level of game your playing.

I also struggle especially from a layoff of playing ect.

Eg: I reckon youve missed a fair chunk of training/preseason, or arent getting continued training/games?

Pump yourself full of magneisum days out and on the day and at half time ect. Drink some gatorade/powerade as your main drink along with water of course.

Edit just read you do all the above

Maybe get a blood test ask the gp to see if they can test for any possible reasons as to why you get cramps, maybe something hormonal happening? not sure

Make sure your urine is clear before playing ect, maybe even weigh yourself before a game and after a game to see how much you are sweeting and if your really getting enough fluids in.

How old are you? how much training do you get through during the week? Sounds like you havnt got anywhere near enough kms in your legs for the level of game your playing.

I am 25, i did miss all of pre-season. However I definitely feel fit enough to push out the game but my calves don't seem
To let me, as you mentioned it could be a muscle fatigue and not cardiovascular related. The only thing that worries me is that the cramps are so severe. A lot of the time i will miss training on tuesday because i am still hobbling from the game, although i always make sure i go for a run just to keep the fitness up. Not the same as game practice but best i can do if I am in pain.

A few people have mentioned salt tablets? Wouldn't they just dehydrate you more though? Isn't there enough minerals and salts in sports drinks to keep you hydrated?

I havnt done enough research into salts something id like to look into a bit one day. do you take any caffeine during the week? High coffee drinker?, no doz before games training, energy drinks ect? So do you traing at all during the week? Footy wise

I avoid anything that will dehydrate me at least 2 days before the game (booze and coffee) and i start trying to hydrate 2
Days before the game. I don't take any no-doz or anything.

I train for footy on average about once a week but do my own running in between.

I should also probably mention that the cramps are normally triggered when i go up for a mark.

Try Drinking a supplement called ENDURA this works wonders for me as i load it up 2 days pre game. With out the sugar you find in Powerade-Gatorade as you only need that stuff post game.
Endura Rehydration

Magnesium Rehydration Formula

Flavours and sizes

Lemon/Lime 800 g, 2kg, and sachets
Orange 800 g and 2 kg
Raspberry 800 g and 2 kg
Pineapple 800 g

Endura™: Scientifically Advanced Hydration

For optimal hydration, water should be consumed with carbohydrates and electrolytes. By using Endura™ Rehydration Formula, you can ensure water absorption and retention are superior to water alone. The carbohydrates in Endura™ Rehydration Formula replace lost energy and improve performance. Sodium promotes active water consumption and the magnesium may prevent muscle cramps and weakness.
Carbohydrate:

Endura™ Rehydration Formula delivers rapidly absorbed carbohydrates for immediate energy and improved performance. The carbohydrates in Endura™ Rehydration Formula are delivered at a special concentration to achieve maximum fluid delivery. The combination of electrolytes and carbohydrates promote water absorption and retention.
Electrolytes:

To maintain active hydration Endura™ Rehydration Formula contains sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium to replace electrolytes lost in sweat.
Magnesium:

Magnesium deficiency is very common and exercise increases magnesium loss. Research has shown that magnesium deficiency may reduce physical performance, exercise capacity and contribute to muscle cramps and weakness. A common side effect of magnesium supplementation is digestive upset. However, Endura™ Rehydration Formula contains a patented form of magnesium (Meta Mag®) that ensures higher absorption and bioavailability with a low risk of adverse gastrointestinal effects.
What Is the Difference Between Isotonic and Hypertonic?

Isotonic drinks have the same osmolarity as the body's own fluids. This allows them to be absorbed relatively quickly and provide energy without hindering fluid absorption. Isotonic drinks are the preferred composition for training and racing, due to their balance between refueling and rehydration.
Hypertonic drinks have a higher osmolarity than the body's own fluids, so they are more concentrated. This means their absorption is slower than water, so they are most useful for glycogen replenishment after exercise, or loading before an event.

Product Ingredients

Each dose (scoop - 25 g) contains:

Magnesium amino acid chelate (Meta Mag® - Magnesium diglycinate) 1.6 g
Equivalent Magnesium 162.5 mg
Calcium amino acid chelate 210 mg
Equivalent Calcium 42 mg
Potassium phosphate - monobasic 418.8 mg
Equivalent Potassium 120.3 mg
Sodium chloride 158.3 mg
Equivalent Sodium 62.5 mg
Inactives: Maltodextrin, Fructose, Malic acid and Flavour (lemon-lime).
Contains No: Wheat, Dairy, Yeast, Soy, Casein, Lactose, Sucrose, Egg, Preservatives or Artificial Colouring.
Directions For Use

During Exercise (isotonic): Combine one level scoop (25 g) with 350 mL of water and shake. Drink one to two doses 30 minutes before exercise and one dose during each hour of exercise (up to four doses per day) or as directed by a healthcare professional.
In Preparation for Exercise - Magnesium & Carbohydrate Loading (hypertonic): Combine one level scoop (25 g) with 200 mL of water and shake. Drink one dose three times per day, two to three days before an event to maximize muscle magnesium and endurance.
Increased Physical Demand: Combine one level scoop (25 g) with 200 mL of water and shake. At times of increased physical output, to assist stamina, relieve muscular cramps, spasms, aches, pains and prevent muscular cramps and spasms, drink up to four doses per day.
Energy: Each dose provides 375 kJ (90 Cal) of energy.
If symptoms persist consult your healthcare professional.
The recommended daily dose of Endura contains 250 mg of Sodium. Do not use if cap and/or bottle seals are missing or broken. This product is sold by weight not volume. Some settling may occur.
Store below 30°C.

Try Drinking a supplement called ENDURA this works wonders for me as i load it up 2 days pre game. With out the sugar you find in Powerade-Gatorade as you only need that stuff post game.
Endura Rehydration

Magnesium Rehydration Formula

Flavours and sizes

Lemon/Lime 800 g, 2kg, and sachets
Orange 800 g and 2 kg
Raspberry 800 g and 2 kg
Pineapple 800 g

Endura™: Scientifically Advanced Hydration

For optimal hydration, water should be consumed with carbohydrates and electrolytes. By using Endura™ Rehydration Formula, you can ensure water absorption and retention are superior to water alone. The carbohydrates in Endura™ Rehydration Formula replace lost energy and improve performance. Sodium promotes active water consumption and the magnesium may prevent muscle cramps and weakness.
Carbohydrate:

Endura™ Rehydration Formula delivers rapidly absorbed carbohydrates for immediate energy and improved performance. The carbohydrates in Endura™ Rehydration Formula are delivered at a special concentration to achieve maximum fluid delivery. The combination of electrolytes and carbohydrates promote water absorption and retention.
Electrolytes:

To maintain active hydration Endura™ Rehydration Formula contains sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium to replace electrolytes lost in sweat.
Magnesium:

Magnesium deficiency is very common and exercise increases magnesium loss. Research has shown that magnesium deficiency may reduce physical performance, exercise capacity and contribute to muscle cramps and weakness. A common side effect of magnesium supplementation is digestive upset. However, Endura™ Rehydration Formula contains a patented form of magnesium (Meta Mag®) that ensures higher absorption and bioavailability with a low risk of adverse gastrointestinal effects.
What Is the Difference Between Isotonic and Hypertonic?

Isotonic drinks have the same osmolarity as the body's own fluids. This allows them to be absorbed relatively quickly and provide energy without hindering fluid absorption. Isotonic drinks are the preferred composition for training and racing, due to their balance between refueling and rehydration.
Hypertonic drinks have a higher osmolarity than the body's own fluids, so they are more concentrated. This means their absorption is slower than water, so they are most useful for glycogen replenishment after exercise, or loading before an event.

Product Ingredients

Each dose (scoop - 25 g) contains:

Magnesium amino acid chelate (Meta Mag® - Magnesium diglycinate) 1.6 g
Equivalent Magnesium 162.5 mg
Calcium amino acid chelate 210 mg
Equivalent Calcium 42 mg
Potassium phosphate - monobasic 418.8 mg
Equivalent Potassium 120.3 mg
Sodium chloride 158.3 mg
Equivalent Sodium 62.5 mg
Inactives: Maltodextrin, Fructose, Malic acid and Flavour (lemon-lime).
Contains No: Wheat, Dairy, Yeast, Soy, Casein, Lactose, Sucrose, Egg, Preservatives or Artificial Colouring.
Directions For Use

During Exercise (isotonic): Combine one level scoop (25 g) with 350 mL of water and shake. Drink one to two doses 30 minutes before exercise and one dose during each hour of exercise (up to four doses per day) or as directed by a healthcare professional.
In Preparation for Exercise - Magnesium & Carbohydrate Loading (hypertonic): Combine one level scoop (25 g) with 200 mL of water and shake. Drink one dose three times per day, two to three days before an event to maximize muscle magnesium and endurance.
Increased Physical Demand: Combine one level scoop (25 g) with 200 mL of water and shake. At times of increased physical output, to assist stamina, relieve muscular cramps, spasms, aches, pains and prevent muscular cramps and spasms, drink up to four doses per day.
Energy: Each dose provides 375 kJ (90 Cal) of energy.
If symptoms persist consult your healthcare professional.
The recommended daily dose of Endura contains 250 mg of Sodium. Do not use if cap and/or bottle seals are missing or broken. This product is sold by weight not volume. Some settling may occur.
Store below 30°C.

It contains fructose derived from high fructose corn syrup which is a big no no.
Coconut water with pink Himalayan salt added is a much better option & all natural opposed to the synthetic electrolytes in Endura

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It contains fructose derived from high fructose corn syrup which is a big no no.
Coconut water with pink Himalayan salt added is a much better option & all natural opposed to the synthetic electrolytes in Endura
Why is the reason fructose is a no no & what is the best coconut water to drink, where do you buy Himalayan salt?

Why is the reason fructose is a no no & what is the best coconut water to drink, where do you buy Himalayan salt?

Raises triglyceride levels, google high fructose corn syrup side effects.
I'm not meaning natural fructose from fruit.

Most coconut water from the supermarket is fine, search for lowest sugar.

Health food stores should stock Pink Himalayan Salt , if not you'll find it online.
I have half a teaspoon every morning upon rising stirred in a glass of water, also add half a teaspoon to my during work-out drink & footy games.

Than
Raises triglyceride levels, google high fructose corn syrup side effects.
I'm not meaning natural fructose from fruit.

Most coconut water from the supermarket is fine, search for lowest sugar.

Health food stores should stock Pink Himalayan Salt , if not you'll find it online.
I have half a teaspoon every morning upon rising stirred in a glass of water, also add half a teaspoon to my during work-out drink & footy games.
Thanks will check it out

s**t did my calf cramps play up today...we only had 20 players with 2 no shows so almost zero rotations and played rover without any real change (neither did any of our other mids) and felt them coming on then half way through final quarter took a mark where i jumped straight up and they both went before i landed...couldn't only run in dorsi flexion after that which doesn't allow for full push off and then we lost by a point...they're still soreish now

Avoid adding extra salt, most people consume more than enough salt there body requires during normal meals. I'd say its a muscle repairing issue. look at the foods and drinks you consume before and after training and game-day. Poweraids and gateraids are high in salt and sugar, try foods with more proteins and lean meats to aid muscle recovery. Its something that wont fix it overnight, but long-term will work.

Avoid adding extra salt, most people consume more than enough salt there body requires during normal meals. I'd say its a muscle repairing issue. look at the foods and drinks you consume before and after training and game-day. Poweraids and gateraids are high in salt and sugar, try foods with more proteins and lean meats to aid muscle recovery. Its something that wont fix it overnight, but long-term will work.

Disagree,
Lack of sodium from excessive sweeting leads to cramping plus sodium holds water in muscle cells to keep them hydrated.
Dereliction or low levels of Taurine is a linkmtomcramping also.
Coconut water 3-400mls night before game with 5-10 g of taurine.
Same again the morning of game with 2-3g of pink Himalayan salt added and sip on the same mix during the game less the taurine.

Do the calf cramps happen simultaneously, as in do both your calves go at the same time? Do you have flat feet? Is it only when jumping you get these cramps and only after vigorous activity?

Sounds like it's most likely muscle fatigue. Just make sure you're getting a pre-game rub down (also during the game), warming up properly, stretching, eating a carb loaded meal before the game and getting enough fluids (which sounds like you are).

Also, check your gym split, make sure you're not doing anything too extreme that involves your calves a couple days prior to a match, ie. deadlifts, squats etc.

s**t did my calf cramps play up today...we only had 20 players with 2 no shows so almost zero rotations and played rover without any real change (neither did any of our other mids) and felt them coming on then half way through final quarter took a mark where i jumped straight up and they both went before i landed...couldn't only run in dorsi flexion after that which doesn't allow for full push off and then we lost by a point...they're still soreish now

you might have a food intolerance denying you body the natural absorption of vital minerals

Damn I had started taking Endura products recently with my distance running but might stop now!

Having trouble with muscle cramps in the calves too. Any chance those Skins calf tights would work?