Leg Cramps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Required

Team Captain
Mar 18, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
An 18yo has suddenly developed severe leg cramps. Calves, lats. Never had a problem before. 17-21yo is the worst time apparently. Was playing colts had no problems. Played reserves last year had no problems. Played reserves this year and they began late in the game, and continued each week. Went back and played a colts game and it even happened there.

Normally the extra duration of the senior footy would be the most likely antagonist. But recently it happened in colts as well. Happens in the 4th qtr. After one particular game he wasnt game to drive home as he was getting cramp even just getting into his car. I had to help him into his car!

*Has upped his salt, magnesium, hydration, used pickle juice, etc. All proven useless.

*Looking to see what he has done differently the past 2 months; He did fast (no food or water) for a month (Days only), and also took up Basketball mid week.

Anyone have any clues? Anything that worked for you?

Last edited:
An 18yo has suddenly developed severe leg cramps. Calves, lats. Never had a problem before. 17-21yo is the worst time apparently. Was playing colts had no problems. Played reserves last year had no problems. Played reserves this year and they began late in the game, and continued each week. Went back and played a colts game and it even happened there.

Normally the extra duration of the senior footy would be the most likely antagonist. But recently it happened in colts as well. Happens in the 4th qtr. After one particular game he wasnt game to drive home as he was getting cramp even just getting into his car. I had to help him into his car!

*Has upped his salt, magnesium, hydration, used pickle juice, etc. All proven useless.

*Looking to see what he has done differently the past 2 months; He did fast (no food or water) for a month (Days only), and also took up Basketball mid week.

Anyone have any clues? Anything that worked for you?
Personally, I need to have a good few days prep before game day. Say gameday is Saturday arvo, Thursday arvo I'll have 2L of water, then a banana before bed. Friday 2L water before lunch, cut out any junk food, 1L of gatorade and 1L of water in the arvo, banana and super magnesium tablet before bed. Game day banana, a solid meal a few hours before the game (high carbs, pasta etc.), 2L gatorade (1 before arriving at ground, 1 at the ground before game). Other tips would be a good pair of footy boots that support your foot properly, mitigates muscles in your leg engaging due to lack of support to your feet. A big preseason running helps too. Hope you can run out games better in the future mate.

• Banned
Personally, I need to have a good few days prep before game day. Say gameday is Saturday arvo, Thursday arvo I'll have 2L of water, then a banana before bed. Friday 2L water before lunch, cut out any junk food, 1L of gatorade and 1L of water in the arvo, banana and super magnesium tablet before bed. Game day banana, a solid meal a few hours before the game (high carbs, pasta etc.), 2L gatorade (1 before arriving at ground, 1 at the ground before game). Other tips would be a good pair of footy boots that support your foot properly, mitigates muscles in your leg engaging due to lack of support to your feet. A big preseason running helps too. Hope you can run out games better in the future mate.
Thanks for the reply mate.

Will pass it on to the young fella.

Yes, good idea. Boots with higher heels will allow the calf to stretch less. Ie; more support.

Just from years of observation

4th quarter cramping is very common in our game, but it happens to soccer players too in big elimination style format games that go into extra time, that extra half hour seems to affect them compared to the 90 odd they're used to normally play, so they end up running for about the same amount of time as a standard Aussie Rules game.

Can only think it'll be a phase and something your boy will eventually adapt to with time and more games under his belt, was your boys fast part of Ramadan or something?

When I played our mids occasionally cramped, particularly early in the season on quicker decks, but it never really affected me being a key forward/ruckman.

• Banned
Just from years of observation

4th quarter cramping is very common in our game, but it happens to soccer players too in big elimination style format games that go into extra time, that extra half hour seems to affect them compared to the 90 odd they're used to normally play, so they end up running for about the same amount of time as a standard Aussie Rules game.

Can only think it'll be a phase and something your boy will eventually adapt to with time and more games under his belt, was your boys fast part of Ramadan or something?

When I played our mids occasionally cramped, particularly early in the season on quicker decks, but it never really affected me being a key forward/ruckman.
Hi 'go you pups'.

Yes, was fasting for Ramadan. Doesnt fast game days. Theory could be he gets low on fluids/magnesium/salt during this time. He did no pre season, had a 'footy schoolies' in Darwin instead. Came back and played some reserves games, which is longer than what he is used to. Sort of perfect storm.

Leading up to last weekend he took Greater Gatsbys advice and hydrated a lot more and dropped some magnesium (and pink salt on everything). Improved the cramps out of sight apparently, though did get a couple of episodes late. Big step forward though. I think he plans on following GGs regime more closely this week to see if it continues his improvement.

Cooler weather should make a big difference (less sweat and stress).

Last edited:
Hi 'go you pups'.

Yes, was fasting for Ramadan. Doesnt fast game days. Theory could be he gets low on fluids/magnesium/salt during this time. He did no pre season, had a 'footy schoolies' in Darwin instead. Came back and played some reserves games, which is longer than what he is used to. Sort of perfect storm.

Leading up to last weekend he took Greater Gatsbys advice and hydrated a lot more and dropped some magnesium (and pink salt on everything). Improved the cramps out of sight apparently, though did get a couple of episodes late. Big step forward though. I think he plans on following GGs regime more closely this week to see if it continues his improvement.

Cooler weather should make a big difference (less sweat and stress).

Good to hear 👍

Yeah definitely electrolytes/electrolyte based drinks should help prolong performance

• Banned
Lad got Zero cramps yesterday. 48hr extra hydration and salts/magnesium obviously works, but i think the temperature 21 deg yesterday, as against 26-28 in recent weeks played a part due to less sweat. Was windy yesterday so evaporative cooling may have aided. But anyway, great result. Didn't reflect in performance however... ha!

I get cramps on the soles of my feet/toes and occasionally in the calves despite very good pre workout(Hot Yoga/HIIT Pilates) hydration >

Around 1 litre pre workout and 1 litre during workout - lemon juice, pink salt, dab of honey in filtered water.

Post workout - Smoothie... banana, frozen berries, garlic, ginger, turmeric, vitamin & mineral powdered supplement.

Am I missing something? 90% of the time I exercise in the mid morning and at least 15-16 hours fasted. I suppose it could just be age, turning 63 soon.:shoutyoldman:

Try ZMA supplements? Added bonus that for many people they also help sleep quality

Remove this Banner Ad

Back