Analysis Hawthorn rebuild: are they tanking?

Should Hawks Be Punished?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately we'd already traded out our first round pick before that annus horribulus. GWS got the booty from our shitness.

Hawks have collingwoods second rounder and Brisbanes third rounder, works for us

Brisbane have gold coasts so in calling even more bs on that post

Unfortunately we'd already traded out our first round pick before that annus horribulus. GWS got the booty from our shitness.

Which is why you needed that 2nd round pick to be as low as possible. The points drop away quick.

Do you really think Collingwood naturally went from finals contenders to 17th then back to finals contenders without any undue influence from the coaches and management?

Which is why you needed that 2nd round pick to be as low as possible. The points drop away quick.

Do you really think Collingwood naturally went from finals contenders to 17th then back to finals contenders without any undue influence from the coaches and management?
I do. Buckley had ran out of ideas.

Tanking for pick 20? Did you notice our off season and that we sacked a coach mid year?

It's hard work when you don't play North every week.

Hey, at least they’re winning the clearances again…

This Is Fine GIF

are they rebuilding? why sub a kid out who you are unsure if he will make it lol

got the worst mid group in the league, not sure where they go.frost has been great this year but is 30.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Average 60 points for against teams not named North Melbourne.

I’m sure Mitch Lewis is going to fix it all when he finally returns.

Currently being talked about as trade bait on the Hawks board.

How much does a club pay for a bloke who’s never kicked 40 goals in a season and never played more than 15 games in a season …

Hey, at least they’re winning the clearances again…

This Is Fine GIF
Yes I'm sure there will be some posters hanging their hats on one or two random stats. Unless they start losing those stats then suddenly they're unimportant and other random stats are the benchmark for improvement.

are they rebuilding? why sub a kid out who you are unsure if he will make it lol

got the worst mid group in the league, not sure where they go.frost has been great this year but is 30.

They can't make up their mind. All the seniors out one year. Then the next top up with Gunstan, Chol and Ginni. This is now year 6 out of the finals and with all their early picks I think they're yet to find someone who has held value or risen to be worth a top 10 pick.

Watson still would and hopefully he succeeds as he'll be great to watch. Would Newcombe or Day get traded for a top 10 pick?

Would Newcombe or Day get traded for a top 10 pick?
No.

Midfielders don't get traded for top draft picks unless they're unquestionably elite. OR if they're a prototypical size (think a Cripps/Bont type of tall and big bodied mid).

A late first rounder/end of 1st priority pick maybe, if they play themselves into significantly better form during the second half of this season compared to what they've shown so far (obviously more about Newcombe there than Day who hasn't been playing).

Problem is, any team that needs a midfielder and has a first round pick like that is probably going to prefer to take an 18 year old kid with a higher ceiling. 'Potential' is an addictive drug. We know who Newcombe and Day are at this point.

All moot though; no chance Hawthorn trades them.

I remember Back One Out explaining how Collingwood tanked in 2021 so they could match any potential bid for Nick Daicos.
Sounds like Back One Out backed one out.

We did give up on results after we sacked bucks and played kids, but we were hoping for development rather than the slight difference in draft points between where we would have finished if the seniors had have played through injuries and waited until the end of year for their operations.

They can't make up their mind. All the seniors out one year. Then the next top up with Gunstan, Chol and Ginni. This is now year 6 out of the finals and with all their early picks I think they're yet to find someone who has held value or risen to be worth a top 10 pick.

Watson still would and hopefully he succeeds as he'll be great to watch. Would Newcombe or Day get traded for a top 10 pick?
Watson will be a gun I reckon, but it was the wrong pick.

Small forwards are like a luxury purchase. Nice to have, but not absolutely essential to a successful side. Most clubs only have one good one, and they're generally not taken in the first 5 picks.

Not to mention they already had Moore - A very good player in his own right - and had bought in Ginni that off-season, who's already proven he's capable of 40 goals a year.

Any of Sanders, Windsor, O'Sullivan, or Curtin would have been better selections for mine.

Particularly the last two. Hawthorn desperately need tall talent at both ends.

Even if Curtin & COS are 2-3 years off being AFL ready, that fits the Hawks rebuild timeline anyway.

Blues got it right taking the talls early in the piece, knowing they'd peak later on.

It means the list can grow together at commensurate rate, as the mids are always going to come along quicker than the KPP.

Back