Club Focus Hawthorn 2022 - Amon, Stephens, Meek, Greene, McKenzie, Weddle, Hustwaite, O'Sullivan, Macdonald, Mitchell

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Please, the two scenarios are not the same.

We have 22 of our top 25 from the best and fairest remaining on the list next year, plus Amon and Meek, and with the return of Wingard, Lewis, CJ, Worpel, Reeves and others who were put on ice late in 2022.
Maybe not in the amount of players but in terms of on field leadership and experience it seems similar.

My point being, what's the gain? You aren't in dire straits with salary and you aren't gaining good picks?

You also have no one close to Gunston to replace him and o'meara and Mitchell were able to be rotated through other positions to get playing time into the younger guys

If Hawthorn trade out O'Meara and Mitchell today they are going to be in a world of pain in 2023. May work out long term but hard to tell as getting worse to get better rarely works as intended.
If Mitchell and O'Meara were in our starting midfield next season we would get panned

We trade them out, its crazy we would trade that experience

What else can we do

If Hawthorn trade out O'Meara and Mitchell today they are going to be in a world of pain in 2023. May work out long term but hard to tell as getting worse to get better rarely works as intended.
When we had them we were in a world of pain because we had the worst midfield in the comp, now we move them on ....and what do you know? Same result.

really looking to pay cap floor for a year or two, front end a few contracts and hit the free agency period hard in 12-24 months IMO

The tough question when rebuilding is, when do you pull the trigger and go for big names. Too early and they waste their best years while the team is still going, too late and the kids you have been building go past their peak or leave for greener pastures.

Maybe not in the amount of players but in terms of on field leadership and experience it seems similar.

My point being, what's the gain? You aren't in dire straits with salary and you aren't gaining good picks?

You also have no one close to Gunston to replace him and o'meara and Mitchell were able to be rotated through other positions to get playing time into the younger guys
Still got lots of leaders on the list, they're just not the names people are use to seeing. Sicily, Moore, Lewis, Morrison, Worpel, Breust etc.

The gain is you hand over the the reigns to the 20-24 years old, of which we have many, and tell them that it's up to them to take the next step.

FB: Hardwick Blanck DGB
HB: Jiath Sicily Scrimshaw
C: Day Worpel Amon
HF: Breust Kosi Moore
FF: Brockman Lewis Ramsden
FOLL: Reeves, Newcombe, Ward

Inter from: Frost, Wingard, Meek, Maginness, Stephens, Butler, MacDonald, Morrison and whatever picks we have on draft night.

Last edited:
Still got lots of leaders on the list, they're just not the names people are use to seeing. Sicily, Moore, Lewis, Morrison, Worpel, Breust etc.

The gain is you hand over the the reigns to the 20-24 years old, of which we have many, and tell them that it's up to them to take the next step.

Inter from: Frost, Wingard, Meek, Maginness, Butler, MacDonald, Morrison and whatever picks we have on draft night.
Going to go all Tassie Cryptik

Nash!

You said that you can see Hawthorn moving to Tasmania! That was a stupid thing to say, that or you are stirring s**t.
Certainly not intended to stir s**t. And on reflection the reference to Tassie might have been a bit over the top. My post was simply intended to highlight that Hawthorn have had unprecedented levels of success for half a century and in that time have never had to endure a sustained period of mediocrity. However I genuinely see that coming. Anyone younger than 50 has really only seen good times at the Hawks. A separate post of mine acknowledged that my clubs (and one or two others) are full of absolute footy nuffies. I don’t see that in Hawthorn and can see a backlash when they go 5 or 10 years without success.

I was fully expecting a pile on from Hawks supporters. I would probably do the same if a similar comment was made about the tigers. However I have not (yet) noticed any neutrals calling this out as being ludicrous.

Certainly not intended to stir s**t. And on reflection the reference to Tassie might have been a bit over the top. My post was simply intended to highlight that Hawthorn have had unprecedented levels of success for half a century and in that time have never had to endure a sustained period of mediocrity. However I genuinely see that coming. Anyone younger than 50 has really only seen good times at the Hawks. A separate post of mine acknowledged that my clubs (and one or two others) are full of absolute footy nuffies. I don’t see that in Hawthorn and can see a backlash when they go 5 or 10 years without success.

I was fully expecting a pile on from Hawks supporters. I would probably do the same if a similar comment was made about the tigers. However I have not (yet) noticed any neutrals calling this out as being ludicrous.

Yeah it was. I think this is what drew the angst.

The rest of your post was fine, its an opinion but I have no issue with any of it

Last edited:

From 97 to 07 was pretty awful except for 00 and 01

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They don’t really take any form of constructive criticism well mate, don’t take it personally.

Pretty clear they are fire bombing the list leading into a strong draft.
Thanks mate, thought the same thing but they were all getting a bit touchy

They don’t really take any form of constructive criticism well mate, don’t take it personally.

Pretty clear they are fire bombing the list leading into a strong draft.
Constructive criticism?

From you

Geez your a special breed at Norf

Inter from: Frost, Wingard, Meek, Maginness, Butler, MacDonald, Morrison and whatever picks we have on draft night.

That team is a lock for bottom 4 next year and probably the year after..our rucks, midfield and forward line are bottom 4 in the comp. Losing Gunston is massive. McEvoy retiring in terms of leadership can't be underestimated. Whilst Mitchell and Jaeger were phased out of the midfield last season, they led the team in clearances and contested possessions. Jaeger ironically had his best season for the club and is now gone.

Sam Mitchell is definitely the right man for the job, but he has a huge job ahead. He's doing what Clarkson should have done 4 years ago. After next year it will be 8 years since a finals win. It will minimum 10 before our next. Hopefully Mitchell get's given a minimum of 5 years.

Getting games into the youngsters this year and next will be crucial..nailing the year's draft and 2023 critical..Last year's draft was excellent. 2020 draft looks to be a complete disaster, yes DGB and Brockman need more time but having a top 6 pick in a COVID draft was awful timing. We need DGB, Brockman, Seamus Mitchell and Saunders to be consistent senior players. Downie already been delisted. Mitchell and Saunders will be lucky to be on the list by the end of 2023.

That team is a lock for bottom 4 next year and probably the year after..our rucks, midfield and forward line are bottom 4 in the comp. Losing Gunston is massive. McEvoy retiring in terms of leadership can't be underestimated. Whilst Mitchell and Jaeger were phased out of the midfield last season, they led the team in clearances and contested possessions. Jaeger ironically had his best season for the club and is now gone.

Sam Mitchell is definitely the right man for the job, but he has a huge job ahead. He's doing what Clarkson should have done 4 years ago. After next year it will be 8 years since a finals win. It will minimum 10 before our next. Hopefully Mitchell get's given a minimum of 5 years.

Getting games into the youngsters this year and next will be crucial..nailing the year's draft and 2023 critical..Last year's draft was excellent. 2020 draft looks to be a complete disaster, yes DGB and Brockman need more time but having a top 6 pick in a COVID draft was awful timing. We need DGB, Brockman, Seamus Mitchell and Saunders to be consistent senior players. Downie already been delisted. Mitchell and Saunders will be lucky to be on the list by the end of 2023.

I think DGB is going to be a star but he needs a few years for his body to fill out as he is still on the skinner side.

I know he was steak knives but Stephens could be the reverse Josh Kennedy. The kid has some talent and while he’s slow, the big truck Mids take a bit more time IMO. Hard to fit him in with Blicavs new midfield role.

If this strategy doesn’t pay off then they might well find themselves in Tassie. Won flags in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s 00s, and 10s. During the 80s played in 7 GF’s in a row and across the last 50 years have had least 4 genuine “dynasties”. And yet in 1996 just a few years after winning their 8th flag in 20 years they barely staved off a merger with Melbourne.

Quite simply their supporters and sponsors are not used to failure. They have been spoilt by success but as a consequence there is no resilience and their supporters/members are already dropping off. Have proven time and again they are a quality club with smart people at the helm but if this fire sale backfires then they could be in all sorts as I'm not sure they can sustain a protracted period as a bottom 4 team.
No club is relocating to Tassie or anyone else. All further expansion will be via a newly created team.

Pretty savage cull, you could say Clarkson did similar with Sam Mitchell and Lewis and funnily enough replacing them with Tom Mitchell and JOM, but it didn't really result in much. It's far from a Mathouse/Buckley handover but it's gonna be a long road for Mitchell to get this back on track. He has been screwed by players dictating trades, Bruest last year would have got a good pick, JOM picking us this year would have been a better draft outcome. Would think the list guys will be sniffing out a Bowes type deal for next year.

Pretty savage cull, you could say Clarkson did similar with Sam Mitchell and Lewis and funnily enough replacing them with Tom Mitchell and JOM, but it didn't really result in much. It's far from a Mathouse/Buckley handover but it's gonna be a long road for Mitchell to get this back on track. He has been screwed by players dictating trades, Bruest last year would have got a good pick, JOM picking us this year would have been a better draft outcome. Would think the list guys will be sniffing out a Bowes type deal for next year.
Not sure we'll be seeing a deal as dramatic as Bowes for a long time.

We'll certainly have 2mill+ to splash next off-season though. Would think each of Gunston, Mitchell and O'meara would've been on around 750-800 (our best paid players).
Add to that we moved on Mc Evoy, Shiels, Hartigan, Howe...even Phillips was on big money from his time at Collingwood.

We'll be HEAVILY front loading some contracts for 2023 just to pay 95%

Not sure we'll be seeing a deal as dramatic as Bowes for a long time.

We'll certainly have 2mill+ to splash next off-season though. Would think each of Gunston, Mitchell and O'meara would've been on around 750-800 (our best paid players).
Add to that we moved on Mc Evoy, Shiels, Hartigan, Howe...even Phillips was on big money from his time at Collingwood.

We'll be HEAVILY front loading some contracts for 2023 just to pay 95%

You may have 2 million+ to splash but how often do the best free agents/trade targets go to a bottom club? North’s “war chest” hasn’t landed them any of their targets despite huge offers. The top free agents/trade targets go to contending clubs. This off-season is a classic example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the Hawthorn board and supporters (used to an envious amount of success over the past 40/50 years) give Mitchell enough time to see this rebuild through ? The next 3 years (at least) are going to be brutal for Hawks fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back