Club Focus Hawthorn 2022 - Amon, Stephens, Meek, Greene, McKenzie, Weddle, Hustwaite, O'Sullivan, Macdonald, Mitchell

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Interesting season for the hawks.
Do they plod along in no man’s land taking a single first rounder to the draft ?
Or do they this time at seasons end go seriously scorched earth and take what picks they can get ?
I suspect Mitchell wanted to pull the trigger originally but perhaps some underwhelming offers were unpalatable when tabled.
Complicating the matter is the apparent reluctance of Bruest and the chad in cleaning out their lockers anytime soon …

Interesting season for the hawks.
Do they plod along in no man’s land taking a single first rounder to the draft ?
Or do they this time at seasons end go seriously scorched earth and take what picks they can get ?
I suspect Mitchell wanted to pull the trigger originally but perhaps some underwhelming offers were unpalatable when tabled.
Complicating the matter is the apparent reluctance of Bruest and the chad in cleaning out their lockers anytime soon …
I mean it sounds like the only player that was even remotely open to moving was Tom and even then it didn’t sound like he was trying to push his way out, find it more likely than not now a lot of those players finish up at the Hawks. The offers for them as 29 turning 30 year olds won’t be as palatable I wouldn’t have thought.

I mean it sounds like the only player that was even remotely open to moving was Tom and even then it didn’t sound like he was trying to push his way out, find it more likely than not now a lot of those players finish up at the Hawks. The offers for them as 29 turning 30 year olds won’t be as palatable I wouldn’t have thought.

Yes, i agree.
Mitchell knew the time to offload was now but for a number of reasons, this didn’t eventuate.
The task remains attending the draft with multiple high end picks.
The question is how is this achieved ?
Every club is allocated their regulation first rounder, this alone is not enough for rebuilding clubs as there are always misses and injuries etc for every club in rebuild.
The hawks are a very interesting watch … and then there is Geelong …

Yes, i agree.
Mitchell knew the time to offload was now but for a number of reasons, this didn’t eventuate.
The task remains attending the draft with multiple high end picks.
The question is how is this achieved ?
Every club is allocated their regulation first rounder, this alone is not enough for rebuilding clubs as there are always misses and injuries etc for every club in rebuild.
The hawks are a very interesting watch … and then there is Geelong …
For every first round pick that we’ve taken over the last 3 years we’ve also found players elsewhere, like Jiath, Scrimshaw, Newcombe, Koschitske and Reeves.

I’d wait until a few rounds of footy have been played before pondering if we need to bottom out.

For every first round pick that we’ve taken over the last 3 years we’ve also found players elsewhere, like Jiath, Scrimshaw, Newcombe, Koschitske and Reeves.

I’d wait until a few rounds of footy have been played before pondering if we need to bottom out.

I would have thought Mitchell came to that decision last post season.
For various reasons, it amounted to nothing but the task remains …

I would have thought Mitchell came to that decision last post season.
For various reasons, it amounted to nothing but the task remains …
Or it doesn’t.

I get that you seem keen to draw this conclusion before a game has been played, but maybe we should wait to see what the first half of the season brings before decreeing what the strategy needs to be in trade week.

Or it doesn’t.

I get that you seem keen to draw this conclusion before a game has been played, but maybe we should wait to see what the first half of the season brings before decreeing what the strategy needs to be in trade week.

So you believe having failed to move players on for draft picks in the latest trade period, Mitchell/hawks might now change their strategy going forward ?
If attacking the draft is not the strong priority now, I’d be interested to hear what is …

So you believe having failed to move players on for draft picks in the latest trade period, Mitchell/hawks might now change their strategy going forward ?
If attacking the draft is not the strong priority now, I’d be interested to hear what is …
I believe that we'll again be open to all possibilities, however it's February, so any grandstanding about what has to happen or what will happen regarding the draft is premature guff at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe that we'll again be open to all possibilities, however it's February, so any grandstanding about what has to happen or what will happen regarding the draft is premature guff at this point.

So Mitchell/hawks had a strategy in October but now they’re just going to wait and see what happens during the season …
Now that’s real guff 🤣🤣

So Mitchell/hawks had a strategy in October but now they’re just going to wait and see what happens during the season …
Now that’s real guff 🤣🤣
How did you not comprehend what you just responded to?

I said that we'll be open to all possibilities, as we were in 2021.

How did you not comprehend what you just responded to?

I said that we'll be open to all possibilities, as we were in 2021.

Open to all possibilities …
What a stroke of genius, i wonder how long it took the brains trust to hatch that strategy 🤣🤣
Truth is, Mitchell rightly wanted to move on players for draft picks but for a number of reasons, nothing came of it in the end.
The draft will absolutely be hawthorn’s main focus as traditionally, it’s difficult for lowly placed clubs to attract quality FA and OOC players.
Taking the standard first rounder that every other club has just isn’t enough for a rebuilding club and Mitchell knows it.
So yes, the question really is, how can hawthorn strengthen their draft hand ?
Will be an interesting watch …

What a stroke of genius, i wonder how long it took the brains trust to hatch that strategy 🤣🤣
Truth is, Mitchell rightly wanted to move on players for draft picks but for a number of reasons, nothing came of it in the end.
The draft will absolutely be hawthorn’s main focus as traditionally, it’s difficult for lowly placed clubs to attract quality FA and OOC players.
Taking the standard first rounder that every other club has just isn’t enough for a rebuilding club and Mitchell knows it.
So yes, the question really is, how can hawthorn strengthen their draft hand ?
Will be an interesting watch …
No one said it was a stroke of genius.

It’s a pretty straight forward strategy I’d have thought, but go off.

it’s difficult for lowly placed clubs to attract quality FA and OOC players.

Hasn't stopped your club. The success hasn't followed the acquisitions however.

The way this season unfolds will absolutely infer what strategy is taken moving forward.

Does the return of Sicily and Gunston, combined with the further development of our breakouts youngsters Moore, Jiath, Kosi, Bramble etc catapult us up the ladder to an unexpected finals appearance? If that happens with DGB, Day, Ward, Macdonald, Newcombe and Brockman playing the majority of the season I don't see the Hawks brainstrust moving heaven and earth to move on O'Meara, Wingard and Mitchell going into next year. They'd simply be older, wiser heads to compliment the next generation for our next successful period.

If we bottom out and land in the bottom 4 then we'll likely look at moving on some experienced players for draft picks again.

Just wait and see.

Hasn't stopped your club. The success hasn't followed the acquisitions however.

The way this season unfolds will absolutely infer what strategy is taken moving forward.

Does the return of Sicily and Gunston, combined with the further development of our breakouts youngsters Moore, Jiath, Kosi, Bramble etc catapult us up the ladder to an unexpected finals appearance? If that happens with DGB, Day, Ward, Macdonald, Newcombe and Brockman playing the majority of the season I don't see the Hawks brainstrust moving heaven and earth to move on O'Meara, Wingard and Mitchell going into next year. They'd simply be older, wiser heads to compliment the next generation for our next successful period.

If we bottom out and land in the bottom 4 then we'll likely look at moving on some experienced players for draft picks again.

Just wait and see.

Quite prophetic this post. Old mate looks pretty stupid about now.

Hawthorn are playing a fast, exciting brand, they are a sexy option for FA and OOC players again. Its clear the coach can do his job too.

Probably wont make finals but they are playing better tan almost everyone thought they would.

Go to the draft this year and have another solid year and watch the requests start to come in again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back