GWS in Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you and I have pretty similar views long-term.

Once Canberra gets a team, it'd be pretty cool to see a Canberra v Giants fixture permanently on Anzac Day to build off it.
I understand your passion for a full time Canberra based AFL club, but I remain pessimistic about this occurring. Some of the factors include the state of our ACT finances due to the money being spent on the Trams, the need to upgrade Manuka, the rugby and soccer codes wanting a new rectangular stadium, no strong public lobbying for a 20th AFL team in Canberra by our Government etc.

I think the current long term relationship between Canberra and Giants to play 3 annual AFL matches (as well as 2 AFLW and a preseason game) is as good as it will get for Canberra. The ACT Government, Giants and the AFL seems happy with this contractual arrangement which will continue at least until 2032. The Giants have had the longest ever partnership with our region (since we entered AFL in 2012, and prior to that with the ACT 4 GWS campaign), and this has been good for the club and the region.

I understand your passion for a full time Canberra based AFL club, but I remain pessimistic about this occurring. Some of the factors include the state of our ACT finances due to the money being spent on the Trams, the need to upgrade Manuka, the rugby and soccer codes wanting a new rectangular stadium, no strong public lobbying for a 20th AFL team in Canberra by our Government etc.

I think the current long term relationship between Canberra and Giants to play 3 annual AFL matches (as well as 2 AFLW and a preseason game) is as good as it will get for Canberra. The ACT Government, Giants and the AFL seems happy with this contractual arrangement which will continue at least until 2032. The Giants have had the longest ever partnership with our region (since we entered AFL in 2012, and prior to that with the ACT 4 GWS campaign), and this has been good for the club and the region.
Problem is that hampers the growth in Western Sydney.
Not being full time makes it look like we have one foot out the door and taking the easy way.

When did they take Canberra out of the song?

The second verse used to say "from Canberra Town", at least when it played in Canberra.
I noticed that too, although I haven't been to a Manuka game in a while. Maybe it was when they took the Telstra Tower off the guernsey in 2021?

I noticed that too, although I haven't been to a Manuka game in a while. Maybe it was when they took the Telstra Tower off the guernsey in 2021?

I'm so oblivious I didn't notice that either.
That would make sense timing-wise with the renegotiation.

Interesting choice though, can't see a genuine reason to take those away while they're promoting themselves as Canberra's team.

Giants are laying a lot of the groundwork for the inevitable Canberra team.

The infrastructure being built up within the ACT/NSW regions is phenomenal. I foresee a great partnership between Giants/Canberra when Canberra comes in.

Many obstacles though, namely, does Canberra have enough space for a Manuka expansion? Residents won't be thrilled with their roads closed on the regular with queues up residential roads.

Giants are laying a lot of the groundwork for the inevitable Canberra team.

The infrastructure being built up within the ACT/NSW regions is phenomenal. I foresee a great partnership between Giants/Canberra when Canberra comes in.

Many obstacles though, namely, does Canberra have enough space for a Manuka expansion? Residents won't be thrilled with their roads closed on the regular with queues up residential roads.

Cricket ACT and the ACT Government are both pushing for a Manuka upgrade for potential Sheffield Shield and BBL sides. It's on pre-existing plans to upgrade the eastern side, which would bring the stadium to about 20k.

By 2033, which is the first season not contracted with the Giants, the light rail will pass the vicinity. That will help alleviate traffic for the bigger crowds.

Cricket ACT and the ACT Government are both pushing for a Manuka upgrade for potential Sheffield Shield and BBL sides. It's on pre-existing plans to upgrade the eastern side, which would bring the stadium to about 20k.

By 2033, which is the first season not contracted with the Giants, the light rail will pass the vicinity. That will help alleviate traffic for the bigger crowds.
Fingers crossed.

Last I heard, the club needed assistance from the AFL to help with participation/grass roots in western Sydney and with the AFL's announcement of 10% being invested in grass roots that will go some way to meeting that need. Once we start seeing more players come through the academy in the Sydeny region I'd say the discussion will likely swing in the direction of whether the Giants needed to extend the partnership and Canberra having its own team.

In 2018 it was said we were on our way to being a fully viable club by 2032 - that aligns with the end of the contract. Covid has probably pushed things out a number of years which means that we'd need to really skyrocket on various metrics to meet that timeline. My understanding is that with the Parramatta expansion hub opening and various software used to facilitate growth this will greatly assist all northern clubs in growth/ expansion so all is not lost on that front.

Giants are trying to cover a large area similarly to how the Swans used to. The Giants do meet various needs and maintain/grow a footy presence across the regions which is great and it minimises footy going backwards if they weren't in these regions, probably moreso in Canberra. I highly doubt the AFL will want to leave Canberra underserviced for longer than need be.

We saw what happened when the Giants came in and allowed the Swans to focus on Sydney, the Swans attendance skyrocketed (with the help of onfield success). I'd say the same will occur with the Giants if the Canberra partnership comes to an end. Canberra will allow the Giants to focus on the western Sydney region and Canberra on its regions.

Although, I'd say Canberra will likely have a sizeable Giants fanbase for some time which means cracker games and attendances. Due to proximity and fanbase, can pretty much guarantee full stadiums for Giants and Swans games in Canberra and I'd say the same in Sydney, similarly to the current derbys. Next weekend's derby down to single tickets at the SCG and looking like a sellout, for example.

Given this and all things going well, I'd be surprised if they extended the partnership, perhaps 5 if need be.

On the plus side, as I said earlier, the infrastructure being built up in ACT/NSW means that it will make it easier for a Canberra team due to the talent/knowhow being developed now via the Giants. I'd imagine we'd see some former Giants players/staff joining the Canberra club in various roles and it means the club will likely be humming along much more quickly than we saw with the Giants or Suns.

That's the beauty of all of the work being done now and I'm pretty keen to see how it all goes.

Last edited:
One of the downsides of this relationship is the constant jabs at relocation any time Canberra has a good crowd.

I know I should spend my time better, but I've spent the past hour arguing with some numpty on Twitter. And it's not unique.

Canberra is almost too strong as a secondary market. Nobody would be calling for relocation if the Giants played games in Newcastle or Wollongong.

One of the downsides of this relationship is the constant jabs at relocation any time Canberra has a good crowd.

I know I should spend my time better, but I've spent the past hour arguing with some numpty on Twitter. And it's not unique.

Canberra is almost too strong as a secondary market. Nobody would be calling for relocation if the Giants played games in Newcastle or Wollongong.

I regularly see similar posts and some people in particular keep repeating the same thing. I find the discussion largely unhelpful overall to both Giants fans in Sydney and Canberra.

Setting up a club north of the Murray has a stipulated timeframe of approx. 20-25 years. When the Giants came in, the AFL knew this, the Giants knew this. In due course, hopefully this season, we'll shake the remaining attendance impacts of Covid and flooding that occurred at probably the worst time in Western Sydney.

The Giants in Sydney will be trailing other regions north of the Murray that weren't as impacted (Gold Coast is a clear standout and Canberra wasn't as impacted but has a strong Aussie Rules lean anyway) for some time. QLD also had the finals hosted up there too. Lots of things happened that shouldn't be overlooked but I digress.

If the Giants manage to reach or exceed their pre-covid average attendance by end of season for the 6 non opening round/derby games at Engie, I think that would put us in good stead to grow on that for next season. In due course, compounding growth will take care of the rest.

I regularly see similar posts and some people in particular keep repeating the same thing. I find the discussion largely unhelpful overall to both Giants fans in Sydney and Canberra.

Setting up a club north of the Murray has a stipulated timeframe of approx. 20-25 years. When the Giants came in, the AFL knew this, the Giants knew this. In due course, hopefully this season, we'll shake the remaining attendance impacts of Covid and flooding that occurred at probably the worst time in Western Sydney.
The big problem was not even the ignoring of the situation under Gil, it's that he never went into bat for us to just remind everyone what the original (AD's) plan was so the echo chamber just kept wanking themselves off over any issues we might have had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back