Injury Gregson - 4th navicular surgery- Jul 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on do you honestly think they wont resign him, this is the GFC, they will probably give him 3 years and he wont play another game.
I would not be surprised in the slightest if we offered him another year. Can’t see the point though, even when he has been on the park he was never going to be a star. Not sure why you would keep carrying a guy who could be nothing more than a fringe 22. You could find someone as good as him as a rookie pick. And at least he would probably get on the ground.

I honestly believe we won’t give him 3 years.

Your sarcasm meter must be broken Daniel!!!! Obviously he wont get 3 years, but hey they gave GHS 3 years and he has played about 3 games since and we recently signed Blitz for 5 so never say never :drunk:

I would not be surprised in the slightest if we offered him another year. Can’t see the point though, even when he has been on the park he was never going to be a star. Not sure why you would keep carrying a guy who could be nothing more than a fringe 22. You could find someone as good as him as a rookie pick. And at least he would probably get on the ground.
Could've said the same thing about Cowan (in fact, we probably could and actually have found better players with a rookie pick), and he was kept on the list for, what, eight years?

Your sarcasm meter must be broken Daniel!!!! Obviously he wont get 3 years, but hey they gave GHS 3 years and he has played about 3 games since and we recently signed Blitz for 5 so never say never :drunk:

Not broken at all mate I too was messing around :D I knew what ya meant about us extending his contract, obviously it won’t be 3 years but if we give him another year I wouldn’t be surprised, it’s what we do.

I’m fine with Blitz getting 5 years though aha.

Come on do you honestly think they wont resign him, this is the GFC, they will probably give him 3 years and he wont play another game.
I'm into shashliks- Gregson, Cockatoo, McCarthy....
Can we afford to keep these on our list?
I guess keeping Menzel has set a precedent.

I'm into shashliks- Gregson, Cockatoo, McCarthy....
Can we afford to keep these on our list?
I guess keeping Menzel has set a precedent.
The thing with Menzel was just how talented he was/is. Gregson is not on the same level.

The thing with Menzel was just how talented he was/is. Gregson is not on the same level.
True.
Maybe the other precedent though could be one year deals only until proven more durable. That wasn't my original thought in that post, but is now.

He'll get another year. He should anyway imo. Horlin-Smith, Black, House, Gardner, Hayball, Crameri would all go before him

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

Give him another 3 years with McCarthy as well.. Club loves sticking by players who can never do a full season on the park. Feel bad for the bloke but heck me dead I get sick of these reoccurring injuries followed by the muppets going on about how much bad luck it is.. Its not luck ffs - some players are injury prone - thats it. Accept it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could've said the same thing about Cowan (in fact, we probably could and actually have found better players with a rookie pick), and he was kept on the list for, what, eight years?

Yep, 8 years for 16 games. A most worthwhile investment.

To be fair to Gregson, he has shown far more than Cowan ever did, and it's only his fourth season now (same as Cockatoo).

Unfortunately, this seems like the most common-sense option. I would carry someone like Cockatoo, but Gregson is nowhere near that level of talent. Maybe they will delist and redraft as a rookie (if they still have rookie's next year).

I think SJ has made this point on twitter with a bit of authority but you'd hope that this will force a rethink about how they deal with these foot injuries. Is surgery always the best option?

I think SJ has made this point on twitter with a bit of authority but you'd hope that this will force a rethink about how they deal with these foot injuries. Is surgery always the best option?

The worst thing about Gregson is that the club announced there was no need for surgery (when it first occurred), and then eight days later he had surgery. A consistent message and perhaps some patience would be nice.

AFL has allowed the coaches to run players into the ground. Literally.

Completely agree. The reduction of interchanges hasn’t stopped congestion at all so they’re talking about lowering the interchanges even more like it’ll somehow work when it won’t.

It needs to go back to unlimited interchanges. Now they’ve brought the interchange cap in it means much more fitness work at training and less skills work, then they can’t go off the ground for a rest for a while so they stay on exhausted & make basic skill errors, in general play but also like how the goalkicking skill level is down from what it was years ago.

All reducing the interchange even more will do is have players exhausted even earlier in games, make it tougher to watch as their skills aren’t as good as they could be because they aren’t training it enough, plus have so many players do soft tissue injuries or stress related injuries during pre-season or towards the end of games in the H&A season, meaning you might not even be able to watch the best players play because they might be injured such as Danger’s minor hammy this year, Fyfe 4-5 week hammy, Macrae only just returned from a hammy after a few weeks out, M. Crouch did a hammy early in the year, Treloar did both hamstrings including one off the bone, I might be forgetting more players.

Are there success stories from the non-surgical route?

Black & Gregson will compete for the Cowan Scholarship Contract for next season. Would be an incredibly difficult call to make, delisting someone who is injured, or will the club be able to spin it that they 'retire'.

Black & Gregson will compete for the Cowan Scholarship Contract for next season. Would be an incredibly difficult call to make, delisting someone who is injured, or will the club be able to spin it that they 'retire'.
Wasn't aware about that contract.
What a choice for CS. Like choosing between your own kids. He has already said he wants to give Black a deal, and we know he rated Gregson.

I guess it depends on if they think he can overcome the injury in the short term or the long term. They certainly persisted with Menzel through 4 knee reco's and kept him on the list. I don't think Geelong would discard Gregson callously, they're not that sort of club. We'll have to wait and see how it unfolds in a few months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back